McCartney Since 60 - A Compilation

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: McCartney Since 60 - A Compilation

Postby chris » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:59 pm

and for what it's worth...BITUS is one of the rare live albums that use NO studio overdubs, after the fact. what you hear is what we heard at the venue. 90% of live albums have vocal and instrumental in studio redos or retakes.

having said that...I love both live collections. it's just that only one is really live.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:19 pm

I don't hear the auto-tune in GOOD EVENING NEW YORK CITY. I've heard this accusation many times before by many people. I'm not saying it's not there. I just want someone to point out where. What songs. What PARTS of songs.

I have no doubt there was overdubbing. That's different than auto tuning. Every live album, for the most part, has overdubs. I didn't know BACK IN THE U.S. was totally, completely live. That's good to know. I saw two shows from that tour. I saw one from the GENYC tour. I remember listening to the live CD BITUS when it came out and being impressed with it, insofar as sounding pretty much what I had heard in Boston at the Garden. However, I also thought GENYC sounded pretty much like what I heard at Fenway Park.

I still prefer the latter, because, as I said, the set list was superior (for my tastes, anyway).
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Bravefan, I'd be more than happy to!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:45 am

Take this for example. The way he moves from note to note sounds...weird. I don't know enough about recording to know if that's autotune, but I've listened to enough records where autotune is used for stylistic purposes to think that it might be. Either way, I don't think it sounds good or authentic.

May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bravefan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Matta, my email is bravefan1@comcast.net.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:17 pm

James 1985, interesting. Yes, "Hey Jude" seems to sound a little strange in the way you describe. I didn't notice this because I probably never PLAYED "Hey Jude" (because he's put that on every live album since TRIPPING THE LIVE FANTASTIC).

I'll have to do a bit more sampling. However, I like the song choices for this tour, and the jams the band play on "I've Got A Feeling" and "Paperback Writer." All in all, I'll put up with it.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Yes, there does seem to be something odd going on there.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:59 pm

yeah...there was a LOT of talk when that came out about autotune. some claimed not to hear it...and it was always denied by the paul camp. but it sure seems to be...something.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions