NEW reviews

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW reviews

Postby mhnso » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:31 pm

chris wrote:An observation...after the original impression of how different this album is...how unlike Paul...there lies...underneath...a very familiar Paul sound to each and every song. Maybe what seemed so different isn't really that different at all. These are just other branches to the Paul tree that have been growing all along.

Spot on Chris this is pure Macca.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:48 pm

:-O ....dang, Big C...that was...poetic.... ^:)^
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:49 am

Yeah, I got a kinda Lord of the Rings vibe... :smile:
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:06 am

chris wrote:An observation...after the original impression of how different this album is...how unlike Paul...there lies...underneath...a very familiar Paul sound to each and every song. Maybe what seemed so different isn't really that different at all. These are just other branches to the Paul tree that have been growing all along.

Yeah, on first glance it's 'New', but it's pure him. Most songs seem to hark back to something he's touched on before. But there seem to be all his eras here.

Like the drum break before the chorus in Queenie Eye is SO McCartney it might as well come with its eyebrows arched.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:51 pm

it seems like every day there is a different song from this very deep album that I just randomly start humming.

even the bonus songs have had their moment.

right now it's the very George-y turned out.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jmonti476 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:18 pm

when listening to EARLY DAYS does anyone Out There get the feeling that it would be a Great Song for CS&N to cover I can totally here them harmonizing perfectly on the bridge and chorus to bad they aren't doing any thing any more
jmonti476

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:27 pm

Chris, agree with you about different songs popping into your head. I think nearly every song on the CD has gone around and around in my head (like on a tape loop) at one time or another in the last couple of weeks.

BTW, the two bonus tracks should have been on the album, proper. Either make it a 15 track album (instead of 13, including the hidden "Scared"), or if you have to lop off two songs to make room for "Turned Out" and "Get Me Out Of Here," cut "I Can Bet" (which is similar in it's power pop, hook-filled style to "Turned Out" but not quite as good), and either "On My Way To Work" or "Looking At Her."

jmonti476, yes, I could hear CS&N doing "Early Days," although the lyrics are pretty personal to Paul.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:38 pm

and to expand on magnus' claims regarding the Japanese edition...that copy has higher differences in the highs and lows on the album. having gotten the opportunity to digest both...it sounds more like the he/they are playing it right in front of you. there is a much bigger soundstage. and there is more separation on the individual instrumentation. in a time when producers just turn everything on the soundboard up to 11...this one is the best sounding cd I've heard in forever. it's easy for me to say this now...but it was worth the wait.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:36 pm

:-W ...mike ??

where's the 'flippin' the bird' smiley... :-D

kinda makes one wonder why we all so often (or at all) have inferior processes and products as the industry standard...and why so many 'artists' put up with it where their 'art' is concerned

sad face at what could have been
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Chris, seriously, the Japanese CD has a better SOUND mix/soundscape? If so...WHY would McCartney do that? Does he think his Japanese audience appreciates music more than us Westerners? I don't get it.

But, if you're serious, and if that is true...I'm going to have to get me a Japanese import copy.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions