NEW reviews

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW reviews

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:57 am

klausab wrote:To my annoyance NEW got a slating in Germany's Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (newspaper). But I am used to it, they always highlight Paul's weaknesses and ignore the rest. In this case it was partly a laugh. First it is stated that with today technique you can do wonders to the voice, next they criticise his weak voice in the Early Days line "if I try": trahahahay. As if it it wan't obvious that it was intentional.

Idiots :lol: well so much for their credibility

So if we undertand this so-called critique correctly they can fix his voice with technology for everything else on the album except they couldn't do that on Early Days ? Or maybe another take on the vocal if they wanted to "smooth it out"? How transparent could they possibly be? Sad thing is there are a lot of people who believe nearly everything they read and will acquire these types of opinions.

And of course Paul just can't win with some people as I have previously mentioned on this site. If he doesn't use today's technology he is not contemporary enough and dated. If he does use it, they are covering up his weaknesses. :roll:

Meanwhile for those who get him, he has created another masterful work of art that people in the know completely understand
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Postby bravefan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:50 pm

Still can't put it in the top 5. And no way it is on the same level as Ram. But I still am not appreciating Appreciate.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:05 pm

:shock: BF ?!?!!

one of the (if not the ) best songs on the album, imho...

ah, well, i still don't 'get' OMWTW...so... :-??

maybe there's hope for both of us :wink:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby james1985 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:08 pm

My ranking today:

Early Days
On My Way To Work
Alligator
Scared
Queenie Eye
Save Us
Hosanna
Looking at Her
Get me out of here
Appreciate
Road
I can Bet
Turned Out
New
Everybody out there
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:14 pm

And I know no prizes for stating the obvious, but he's such a good bass player. It's not as prominent on this album as, say, on Driving Rain, but all his little moves and runs are there. He just glides through every song on that Hofner. The feel he's had on the bass in the past 10-15 years has been so good to listen to.
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:01 pm

james...with the exception of new...my rankings are similar to yours.

you guys have all been so awesome with your opinions and thoughts. and I have yet to even post my thoughts on the album.

i'll get my stuff together and post an actual review by weeks end.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:05 am

Funny. i love the album too but my ranking are quite different from yours, James.

My ranking:

Alligator
Queenie Eye
Road
On my way to work
New
Appreciate
Save Us
Looking at her
Hosanna
I can bet
Early days
Turned out
Everybody Out There
Get me out of here

I love everything but EOT, and that's just because the lyrics are vapid and go nowhere. I would rank this easily in macca's top 5, maybe top two right behind Ram. But I need to spend more time with it.

Chris, I want your take. Don't know why, but ever since you had to wait to hear it, I've been excited to hear your take. All we've gotten so far is your breathless take after a single listen. Thoughts?
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Greg » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:46 am

I myself am enjoying "New" better with each listen. I was underwhelmed with the last Fireman album and I couldn't get into "Kisses on the Bottom". "New" is fresh and Sir Paul was smart to mix it up with some different producers. The guy has done so much and been a part of changing music in such a positive way for so many decades. Yet, he still wants to create and do something "New" . We should all be thankful that he's still putting out new music. ^:)^
Greg

Postby chris » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:34 pm

okay...here goes...

what is apparent after the very first listen is that this album has a groove...or a vibe (as most great albums do). it is extremely coherent...which is striking considering the four different producers. and...as a result...it is a piece of music that should be consumed in full...from beginning to end...whole. and not one song is like any other. it's variety is not only rare in todays music world...but welcome and refreshing.

save us : nice fuzz guitar. as good an album opener he's had in recent memory. great harmonizing. a nice, cleanly played rocker.

alligator: I love, love, love this one. paul is in classic metaphor mode with..."I need somebody who's a sweet communicator I can give my alligator to"... this song as a bit of an edge to it.

on my way to work: at first I wasn't so sure about this song. but it was the first one to get stuck in my head. reminds me...production wise...of press to play. and to those who know me...that's a good thing. I love the lyric about the girl from chichester. I don't know why...but I identify with this song somehow. it's personal.

queenie eye: another great one. each song seems to build on what the previous one before did. super catchy. but I can't get over one thing...when it gets quietly spacy..."it's a long way to the finish, when you've never been before...I was nervous but I did it, now i'm going back for more"...I just can't help but see eric idle of monty python fame doing this. I see it in my head every time I hear the lyric. sorry guys...if I've inflicted eric idle madness to those who hear it from this point on.

early days : starts out like so many paul acoustic songs have...but right away it takes a different turn...and better for it. i'm picking up on a more personal type of lyric started on MAF and taken a football field further with this album. am I the only one who sees johnny cash when he hears this song? similar, in a way to you tell me. only someone older and experienced can do this song and have it resonate. it just wouldn't work with a younger mans voice. even young paul. another great paulie metaphor in"...so many times I had to change the paint to laughter...". 5 songs in and I know i'm listening to something special.

new: what can I say about this that hasn't been said already. best first paul single since my brave face. it's bouncy, catchy, instantly hummable. I just love the ooooo ooooo ooooo's. do I hear a real horn section? I love the false ending and the brian wilsonesque coda.

appreciate: spacy...as much of this album seems to be. could be from the unreleased fireman album yet unheard. it's more than paul trying to be urban sounding. he's not reaching. it's all him. this song in it's own way really is a jam. maybe not so traditionally...but in a modern way.

side bar...the first seven songs on this album are just as note for note perfect as CHAOS was. only he brings much more to the table with this album side. hard to believe they're all done by the same guy.

everybody out there: first speed bump. I like the song. but it seems preachy...or lecture-y during he chorus. temporarily stops the momentum of an otherwise stellar album. enjoyable...but a low point in an album filled with high ones.

hosanna: with all the pre-release talk about this one...expectations were high. at first I was disappointed. but after 3 or 4 listens...I noticed this one was deep. there is a lot going on here. on the mellow side...and spacey...as much of the album is. now one of my faves. an under appreciated gem.

I can bet: a bit of get back in this one. I can see late 70's wings doing this. in fact...I wouldn't be surprised if the vocals were recorded two decades ago. and to further push the wings vibe...the one finger keyboard solo conjures up the ghost of his late wife linda.

looking at her: sort of an island-y vibe. or flemenco-ish maybe. he's done songs in this style for forever. but this one has a style to it. love his falsetto voice here. but he's not singing it this way due to age/voice restrictions...he would have sung it this way at any other time in his career.

road: again...spacey and mysterious. this album is an adventure in modern sounds and music making.

bonus songs...quick take

turned out: is as good as anything on the album proper. I can't put my finger on it, exactly...but it sounds like George harrison. that's a good thing.

get me out of here : another winner. could have/should have been available for everyone.

struggle: the only disposable track in a collection of winners.

scared: secret bonus song. I think we all have it...we just may not know it. beautiful...heartfelt...and just oozes McCartney ballad. i'm not sure I can add anything that magnus hasn't already said. it's about a guy who's lived, loved...and maybe scared of getting hurt again. another honest portrayal of who paul is and where he is with his life and those in it.

this album is trippy. I like that. I like my paul albums a bit atmospheric...maybe even a little odd. there is no fluff here. some songs you may enjoy more than others...but nothing is half baked . he's finishing...everything. that's a key ingredient paul hasn't always cooked with. this is written and performed by a guy who isn't dwelling on what he's done in the past...no matter how idolized. he is very much in the now. and he sounds like he's looking forward. this...after only one week of digestion...is a top five paul album for me. and i'm making space in my shelf for my top three.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:21 pm

Nicely done, Chris and well thought out. You know, what with having 4 different producers, most folks would expect to have an album that's maybe not as cohesive as this one. All that spaciness you mention seems to be a unifying element here. I agree with you for the most part, Chris, although I seem to be in the minority when it comes to "Everybody Out There"- I quite like it. I think "Looking At Her" has the same kind of vocal delivery he used on Kisses on the Bottom and that's a good thing. As for "Struggle", I'm really surprised you consider this one disposable. Unfortunately I don't have this song, but if I did I'm sure I would always look forward to it. It seems like a track you might find on McCartney II or, dare I say it...Press To Play.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions