NEW reviews

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW reviews

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:15 pm

chris wrote:don't downloaded albums count as units sold?

I assume it was referring to "naughty" downloads. Legal ones such as from iTunes will certainly count.

Although with isohunt disappearing this week it's now got that little bit harder to get hold hold of dodgy downloads.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby mhnso » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:53 am

Here are my overall review of the album - written after repeated listenings.
Since 1997 great album Flaming Pie Macca has been on a steady creative roll - a remarkable, late career renaissance. Choir music, ballet,coveralbums,experimental electronica are some of his achievements outside of his more natural field pop/rock. Within the pop/rock department he has released some very good albums for instance the introspective, quiet Chaos that contains some of his finest and most realized songs this side of the Beatles and Memory almost full- a more colorful and eclectic venture into pop music.
With the release of New it seems that Paul has assembled bits and pieces from the above mentioned albums with hints from all over of his career. To that one can add some current influences.
One of the most remarkable things with New is the fact that no track sounds like any other on the album. Four different producers, different forms of songwriting and also ever changing soundscapes and vocalstyles makes this album a real melting pot . Something like this could easily have been chaotic and patchy but Maccas presence in so overwhelming that there actually is a great sense of unity. It s difficult to think of any living artist who so seemingly without effort can go from soft balladry to experimental heavy rock to shining pop diamonds. Even more amazing is that-at least for me-every song contains something memorable and worthwhile.
The album has a level of greatness that is rare- it is hard to pick up favorite tracks - they all are very good. Like most great music it takes a few listenings to get into the songs They sometimes are more complex and multilayered than first impressions reveal. But the patient listener will be rewarded with some truly timeless music from a master-one of the few of his generation who deserves to be called genius. And on this New album there is a newfound spark, confidence and creativity that is-for me-impossible to ignore.
When all is said and done I feel confident that New will be regarded as one of Pauls finest- if not finest - postbeatlealbums. To be honest - this is not just a new album- it might be a bit of music history revealed. True musical magic is hard to describe but for those who feel it instantly recogniced.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:39 am

mhnso wrote:Here are my overall review of the album - written after repeated listenings.
Since 1997 great album Flaming Pie Macca has been on a steady creative roll - a remarkable, late career renaissance. Choir music, ballet,coveralbums,experimental electronica are some of his achievements outside of his more natural field pop/rock. Within the pop/rock department he has released some very good albums for instance the introspective, quiet Chaos that contains some of his finest and most realized songs this side of the Beatles and Memory almost full- a more colorful and eclectic venture into pop music.
With the release of New it seems that Paul has assembled bits and pieces from the above mentioned albums with hints from all over of his career. To that one can add some current influences.
One of the most remarkable things with New is the fact that no track sounds like any other on the album. Four different producers, different forms of songwriting and also ever changing soundscapes and vocalstyles makes this album a real melting pot . Something like this could easily have been chaotic and patchy but Maccas presence in so overwhelming that there actually is a great sense of unity. It s difficult to think of any living artist who so seemingly without effort can go from soft balladry to experimental heavy rock to shining pop diamonds. Even more amazing is that-at least for me-every song contains something memorable and worthwhile.
The album has a level of greatness that is rare- it is hard to pick up favorite tracks - they all are very good. Like most great music it takes a few listenings to get into the songs They sometimes are more complex and multilayered than first impressions reveal. But the patient listener will be rewarded with some truly timeless music from a master-one of the few of his generation who deserves to be called genius. And on this New album there is a newfound spark, confidence and creativity that is-for me-impossible to ignore.
When all is said and done I feel confident that New will be regarded as one of Pauls finest- if not finest - postbeatlealbums. To be honest - this is not just a new album- it might be a bit of music history revealed. True musical magic is hard to describe but for those who feel it instantly recogniced.

Very well written and spot on :ymapplause:
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Postby JimQ » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:50 am

agreed
JimQ

Postby chris » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:13 am

As usual...very nicely done, magnus.

I'm working on my review...but as you know i'm a little late in the game...I doubt i'm going to say something that hasn't already been said...but I should have a general...if not song for song...review in a day or so.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:27 pm

it's only been a few days since i last mused upon this...but i think, with all the repeated listenings...

it is, at the very least, a clear contender for a top 5 slot...

gun-to-head moment; might land @ 4...

but....higher ?!?!?

can it really be better than albums i've loved deeply for decades ???

better than....dare i say it...Ram ?!?!?!

i'm just hoping that is not the euphoria of it all...but, if this did have 'struggle' and 'cut me some slack'...i don't think i'd hesitate at a #2 :shock:

great thoughts, M :ymapplause:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:54 pm

mr h atom wrote:it's only been a few days since i last mused upon this...but i think, with all the repeated listenings...

it is, at the very least, a clear contender for a top 5 slot...

gun-to-head moment; might land @ 4...

but....higher ?!?!?

can it really be better than albums i've loved deeply for decades ???

better than....dare i say it...Ram ?!?!?!

i'm just hoping that is not the euphoria of it all...but, if this did have 'struggle' and 'cut me some slack'...i don't think i'd hesitate at a #2 :shock:

great thoughts, M :ymapplause:

you r getting close now. Mr H -very close. Maybe we don t need to think that this is number 1,2 or3. Maybe we just have to say New is up there so to say. The amazing thing is that Paul actually made an album that made many- hardcore fans- think in those circles. I can t remember anything like that happened before.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:57 pm

Well...I think Memory Almost Full is up there, Mhnso. Top three for me. New is so...new...it feels like a top five...yes, perhaps even higher. Top two? Maybe, but before I make that claim, I'm going to need a little more time. At some point I'll stop listening to it because of the inevitable fatigue and when I go back to it, I'll have a better opinion of it. Electric Arguments was so different that it took me a year or so of ebbing and flowing before I realized how great it was. Now, New already seems great but like Mr. H said, there's a certain euphoria that comes with a new release that could cloud your judgment a little. I even thought Press To Play was pretty nifty back on it's release in '86, but as time went on...well, let's just say I'm not so positive about it these days. I don't see New falling out of favor like that though; not by a long shot. It's definitely top five.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:30 am

Agree that euphoria sometimes makes you get a bit carried away.When it comes to New I trust my instinct though. It is a great album for me. This ranking thing is mostly the male whay of creating order- making lists and rank things. I like most of Maccas music but there are a few I treasure a bit more. Guess New is up there among- if it it will be 40 years from now is hard to tell since I will be 97 years old at the time.
Here and now New is-for me-totally great.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby klausab » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:14 am

To my annoyance NEW got a slating in Germany's Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (newspaper). But I am used to it, they always highlight Paul's weaknesses and ignore the rest. In this case it was partly a laugh. First it is stated that with today technique you can do wonders to the voice, next they criticise his weak voice in the Early Days line "if I try": trahahahay. As if it it wan't obvious that it was intentional.
klausab

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions