A NEW song thread

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: A NEW song thread

Postby mhnso » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:55 pm

What are not Struggle on your Cd mr H. Ooooops sorry that was the japanese edition. It should be your too 5 anyway.
Avbrutit röv mr h atom talar inte svenska hohohoemaöiuyh
Sorry But Struggle is truly great but even without that New is an outstanding album
Svenska köttbullar Ikea Volvo ABBA avbrutitheladagen mr H röv
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:58 pm

Magnus...exactly
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:55 pm

mhnso, I agree with you re: "Appreciate." Actually, he did the same thing (the "Helter Skelter"-type low-in-the-background-harmony vocals) on "Cut Me Some Slack," as well. It works on all of them!

I LOVE "Appreciate."

Besides "Struggle" (which I find very interesting, btw), are there any other extra tracks from these sessions floating around? (Aside from "Turned Out," and "Get Me Out Of Here," of course).
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:47 am

A bit offtopic. Watched Rockshow in the cinema last night. What a blast seeing this on the big screen and how completely awesome this perfomance is. As good as it ever gets. But many if the New songs are actually better songs than some of the Wings stuff in the movie . I like Pauls current voice But some if the things he do with his voice in rockshow we Will never see it again
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:27 am

:? hmmmm..........

IF he'd put 'struggle' AND 'cut me some slack' on here...it'd be a serious contender for top 3...

and i could not honestly say it would be #3 it would settle in...not with those two...no sir....

jus' sayin'....
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:24 pm

NEW - the song
When the album were released I almost forgot about this one. Having heard it a few times I somehow took it for granted, That meant I only gave it an 8 when I made my songranking here. The other day when I played the album at my house(very loud) this song suddenly hit me again. It s - my opinion a popmasterpiece.
This song got everything a great popsong should have. Great-very great melody, some hooks in the chordsequensing, handclaps and some surprising moments. Plus real hornsection. In the recent Mojo interwiew producer Mark Ronson said this song had that special Macca beat from stuff like ' got to get you into My life'. This beat sounds simple enough but According to producer Ronson it s far from easy. That s why they called in Maccas band for this song- they know how to make it sound right.
If the Beatles had released this one 1968 it today would have been part of our DNA and a classic. This song is on that level of popbrilliance
This song aint no 8 I give it a shining ten plus
( the sequensing on the album when the shinmering pop ofNew is followed with the somewhat heavier sound of Appreciate is another of those special moments on the album)
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Now it s time to discuss the albums final track -Scared.
Macca himself proclaimed Early Days and scared his favorites on the album - a bit odd then to have it as a "secret" track unless.........the artist wants to make a point here. This song deals with the difficulties the narrator has to express his real feelings to the love object - more precisely saying the words-I love you. Maybe..this is just a theory the track is hidden to show the vulnebarity of this song. I can t think of any other reason because this song is lovely beyond words. One truly great composition that must be ranked as one of Maccas finest piano ballad in a very longtime. Also the singing here is a joy to behold. The production is ever so simple-just piano and some electronic voices and that VOICE way up front. Lot s have been said about Pauls recent singing abilities but this is a remarkable singing perfomane. does he sound old-yes but in a very good and weary way. Does he hit the notes.?Sure. Does he express the feeling of the song in a way that one actually can believe him? You bet he does.
If some of the popular artists of today-like Adele-picked this one up I think Scared has the promise of becoming a modern standard. If not -it already is for me.Paul at his absolutely melodic best. This one get 12 out of 10.
Odd though that Macca find it hard to say the words I love you. I don tknow many artists who have sang those words more than him. But this is not a silly love song not at all.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:17 pm

you know what M...

i 100% agree...best summation/review of a single song you've yet written...word for word, sentiment for sentiment: perfect....

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
mr h atom

Postby Girl4Beats » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Okay. Now I have GOT to get the album. I was waiting around to see if I could get the BLUE one but I think I will just get the PINK one and give it a listen. Sounds like, from reading the 6 pages of comments, there are some songs on there suited to my rock and roll sensibilities. Some not. Mr. H, is this a good rock album, the kind I have been waiting for?

So I will get it, I am going to Walmart tomorrow morning, and see if they have it and buy it and give it a listen. I will let everyone know what I think later. I hope this is the album I have been waiting for.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:24 pm

it'll be close, G4...if you're reading the reviews right, you'll notice there is a nice selection/variety of songs/styles...all are good to very good...there is not a single bad song on it.

macca doesn't really 'rock' like he used to...but if you can dig his current form of R&R, the one he's been toying with for some time...then it has quite a few songs that'll be right up your alley...

it's bunches 'harder' than anything off C&CITB...has quite a few on the level of MAF...and one or two that almost get kinda rough :-D

if you can possibly do it...i cannot recommend higher that you bet the 'blue' version...for a coupla $$ more you get two smashingly great songs that are as good, if not better, than anything on the 'pink' version...

'scared'...the one M and i were just glowing on about is not listed but appears on all copies as a hidden track...while not R&R...it is an astonishingly great track

if you haven't already seen/heard it...check out around here for the track 'cut me some slack' with dave grohl (of foo fighter/nirvana fame)...it does not appear on the album, but is as hard and fun a track as he's ever done in ages...nothing on this goes quite that far...but there are some gems to be sure
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions