Anyone Else Think It's Time for a McCartney III ?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Anyone Else Think It's Time for a McCartney III ?

Postby beatlelarry » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:31 am

I appreciate any new music from Paul. But I think it's time he say goodbye (Mary Hopkin-style) to his band he's been with for the last 13-14 years and begin working with other musicians. Or better yet, hole himself in his barn or farm or whatever if he still owns the Scotland property and give us an organic stripped-down analog album perferably titled McCartney III. I'm tiring of the sound of Rusty, Abe, Wix, etc. Give us something "old" next time. Abe's DW drums are too sterile and perfect. The whole sound is become predictable.

Anyone else agree?

p.s. To be clear, I'll buy anything from Paul. I'm just longing for a Wings Wildlife sound. Think "I Am Your Singer".
beatlelarry
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Anyone Else Think It's Time for a McCartney III ?

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:29 pm

I don't believe it is necessary. His recent studio albums have been mostly him playing the instruments and he has worked with several different producers already. Godrich had him on his own for CACITBY. Just look at the credits on MAF and NEW. The Fireman was completely improvised on his own working with Youth and was effectively McCartney III. I think his band is great and they play his songs perfectly. He seems to think highly of them and is having fun. They haven't held him back or made him stale at all. He certainly hasn't rested on his laurels!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Postby eggman1979 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm sorry but I don't agree. His band doesn't play on Paul's albums, Pauls plays almost everything on his recordings. Chaous could easily be called McCartney III and Memory almost full would be McCartney IV.

I love his current band, I don't want it to change.
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:33 pm

I think after the brilliance of NEW, McCartney III would be the perfect next step
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:34 pm

And a proper McCartney III – no producer, no collaborator. Just him in his house
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:48 pm

I'd be all for a proper McCartney III, but not because I'm sick of his band. In fact, I don't agree with the premise of the question since, as was already addressed above, the band doesn't feature in the majority of Paul's work since Driving Rain. Actually, there's not a whole lot of studio recordings with the band!
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:57 pm

efghijiloveyou wrote:I'd be all for a proper McCartney III, but not because I'm sick of his band. In fact, I don't agree with the premise of the question since, as was already addressed above, the band doesn't feature in the majority of Paul's work since Driving Rain. Actually, there's not a whole lot of studio recordings with the band!

this...exactly.

but i'd like to add a nope...not at all...to another I am your singer.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:11 pm

everyone else has said it already, but, most of his solo album work since DRIVING RAIN has been Paul and Paul only. With a few exceptions here and there. At least on CHAOS, and MAF.

I guess, psychologically, if Paul approached an album with the idea of doing MCCARTNEY III, it might produce some interesting results. So, what the hell.

Btw, what's wrong with the band, anyway? I think they're awesome...and very flexible. They mostly just play with him on his tours...why would he change things up at 71? I don't think he's going to go out and get a brand new band at this stage.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:28 pm

ummmm, yeah...sorry, beatlelarry... :-?? ...can't say i agree in the slightest with the percieved hit on the band...

one quick perusal shows that he has infrequently used the band (or its members) while making these records; DR was the last true, full-on instance where the entire album was done as a real band effort...and, while not an overwhelming classic...it isn't that bad...and i, for one, know i'd find it very hard to belive that that paul is somehow not in charge of every sound...every moment: got problems ? blame any it on paul, not the bandmembers...

even the credits on this one..which, BTW, is a superb album on every level, has him using them here and there...

so, as the little old lady used to say: where's the beef ?

moreover, particularily with this album, to my ears...they seem to intrinsically fit very nicely into his musical vision (and, i might add, the very same can be said for their infrequent/varied use on MAF: top-notch !)...can't see how their being used has been in any manner, way or form a detriment

...not to mention every thing i've heard or read has this band as being totally responsible for getting him to shake up his rather stagnant setlist and bringing out an awful lot of gems to play for us...

now..if you had just left the whole 'the bands are a drag on him' theory...and simply mused it's time for a true solo effort...one where no one is involved...i'd be with you 100,000 %: after all...you'd be hard presssed to find a dude who loves M2 more than i...and i positively love M1, as well...

as it is...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:04 pm

You know as I recall, the McCartney II album started with Macca just goofing off in his home studio and it seems some people said to him "so this must be your next album" or something like that and he kind of went with it. Now, really he's probably got loads of home demos laying around...he's probably got several album's worth of "McCartney III" tracks. I have a mini home studio and I love coming up with songs just for fun; that's what I enjoy doing. Now imagine what Paul's got laying around his home studio...
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions