NEW reviews

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW reviews

Postby mhnso » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:45 am

Hosannah is one of the real growers on this album-now I regard it as close to a masterpiece. First few times I actually find that particular song boring. Guess thereare so many things goin on musically on New that it will take time to really appreciate it. But Appreciate i appreciated first time I heard it
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:34 am

"Appreciate" is great. Never got the "Gratitude" comparison. But, to each his own.

"Hosanna," still not doing it for me. But, if one song out of 15 is the one I skip, that's pretty damn good. Hell, I don't listen to "Don't Pass Me By" or the entire "Revolution 9," either, when I play the WHITE ALBUM.

I reserve the right to change my mind on "Hosanna," however. You never know. On the 41st listen, it just might click with me!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:46 am

I agree about the Gratitude comparison.

I read something on here about them being similar, and on the basis that I REALLY dislike Gratitude, I assumed I might not like Appreciate either - Wrong! Loved it first time I heard it, they not remotely alike, apart from both being a one word title that mean a similar thing.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby mhnso » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:39 am

Here is some extracts from reviews to keep up the good spirit.

• "Without sounding hyperbolic, it is abundantly clear that "New" is among the strongest and most satisfying records McCartney has put out during his tenure as a solo artist. This is state-of-the-art Paul McCartney".(Good morning America)
• "As an exercise in diversity, it’s a master class".(clash music)
• "Not only does it announce McCartney's first batch of original songs in six years, it also celebrates the idea that pop music can still invigorate, inspire, and surprise — even if you had a hand in inventing it. (Entertainment weekly)
• "this album proves his talent is timeless"(Telegraph)
• "l, the 71-year-old pop legend hooks up with a crack team of relatively young producers to deliver his most enjoyable and energetic album in ages."
• (Daily Mail)
• "New proves that inspiration is not a problem for Paul McCartney, who shows both his contemporaries and the youngsters alike how to make rich music while swinging for the cheap seats."(American songwriter)
• "McCartney’s latest is another excellent entry into an incomparable career that doesn’t fight against itself, but seeks only to complement and continue on."(Calgary Herald)."From the moment it opens with the insistent, propulsive "Save Us," this is a bright, vivid pop album, robust with color and so confident in its swagger that its assurance is almost distracting. That's why Newis one of the best Mccartney's latter-day records: it is aware of his legacy but not beholden to it even as it builds upon it."(All music guide)
• ""Paul McCartney's latest studio album is pretty damned good — damn it. Best albums of 2013 so far"(LA Times)
• "Urgent and expressive, he sounds like he’s extending an olive branch to the millions, the world over, who treasure his brilliant contributions to pop music, both facile and profound."(Washington Post)
• "New is no Abbey Road, but it is a remarkable album from the 71-year-old version of the man who has brought us decades of great rock ‘n’ roll songs"(pop matters)
• "But really, there isn’t a cut out of the thirteen on New that doesn’t make a compelling argument for McCartney continuing to produce music. His fellow Boomer musicians could learn a lot from him. As a matter of fact, a lot of the ones from subsequent generations could, too."(Pitchfork)
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:43 am

i see to remember getting the impression that the 'gratitude' allusion was meant rather tongue-in-cheek...at least, that's how i took it, since the writer went on to muse about other one word, even similar sounding titles ...so i'm not all that worried there...

but...matts...hmmm...........'don't pass me by' is a great, great song...

i can half-way understand passing by #9#9#9#9#9...er, sorry, regression...

but DPMB ???? sacriledge !!!! ~X(
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:06 pm

I have trouble with "Don't Pass Me By." It just sounds too heavy handed. It fits Side Two (which is the way I'll always look at that album...Side One, Side Two, Side Three, Side Four...) to a tee, so on that level, it's fine...but it's a "skip" when I get to it.

I forgot one more: "Wild Honey Pie." But, does that really count?
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:40 pm

You're forgiven for skipping "Wild Honey Pie", but "Don't Pass Me By" is a real nice Ringo/Paul team-up (if memory serves correctly, it's only Paul and Ringo on that one).
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:43 am

matts...do yourself a solid, bud...

grab your copy of the WA..head out to your car...meander about the hills and dales for a bit...let the wonderousness of it all soak in...deeply

make sure you're approaching a nice, long open road when DPMB comes along...roll down the windows...crank up the volume..put on your best ringo-C&W twang (nope, it's not really there...but it should be !) and sing this wonderful song at the top of your lungs !!!

this is a most fun song !!

this song induces smiles if taken in the right light...almost as great a song about wild, abandoned happy-ness as 'why don't we do it in the road' and 'you know my name, look up my number'

the beach boys may have tried to sing about funfunfun...but this song, like those other two (and, dare i say it..yes, i will: 'monkberry moon delight'), epitomizes it...

sorry...i'm off my soapbox...

for the record..i love WHP,too...jus' sayin' :-D
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:54 am

ok, DPMB isn't really that bad. It just grates on me after about a minute of listening. The polka-like heavy handed organ sound that kind of keeps the beat to the song...maybe I've just heard it too many times, and it doesn't pass the 5,000 listens test!

I do like the fiddle on it, though...esp on the fade out...
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:50 pm

Been waiting a lifetime to contribute to this thread...

It's only been one listen...so I don't have much. But here goes...

This is the best initial reaction/impression to a new Paul album I recall having...ever.

It seems to have taken off where the Fireman album left off. If you didn't care for that one, I don't think you'll like this one. But if you do...this one will blow you away.

Love the multiple producers approach...sounds fabulous

Is it me...or is there a track...on the second side...that sounds as if they used old vocals...that is...vocals recorded years ago?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions