NEW reviews

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW reviews

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:26 am

JimQ wrote:
They went on and on and on about his voice due to Early days. I like it now - but I think that's because I know the feel he was going for. I think non-obsessives will listen and go "put your feet up love". The presenter (Sean Rocks - can that be a real name?) kept saying after Early Days - "whoa, that needed a rethink of the key there! His voice can't really stand up to this anymore, can it?!" I felt particularly enraged.. :puker He went so far that eventually one of the contributors eventually said that that was the only example of croakiness, and that it added to the song. I started warming to her til she started rambling on that her problem with the album was that "he calls it NEW, but its not new. There are no new sounds here". What does that mean? What is a new sound?! Modern sounds? Road?

"Voice can't stand up to this anymore"? :lol: that is about as dumb a comment I have heard as "new sounds"

Of course the key had nothing to do with the way Paul sang on Early Days. The comment about new sounds is absurd. I swear some of these people have pre-determined assumptions in their heads when it comes to Macca instead of just listening. The problem is you can't truly "appreciate" what Paul does by hearing it once through. He has far more depth than most. These reviewers should listen for about a week before they open their mouths! :roll:
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Postby JimQ » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:20 am

Exactly.

The charts are in (should probably start a new thread but I feel there are enough): 12 in Ireland and 18 (downloads) in uk. Not bad but KOTB was 3 and MAF was 6. I personally felt that the promotion was lacking a little compared with MAF. It may creep up next week after the queenie eye video.
JimQ

Postby gkmacca » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:34 am

I remember Ringo saying a few years ago how he'd hear a Paul song and be disappointed, then after the third listen he'd think it was a classic. I spent a couple of days last week thinking the album was a let-down, and then I warmed to it all. Early Days, especially, strikes me now as a classic. It's a wonderful album.
gkmacca

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:46 pm

JIMQ, I'll keep trying. I like some of what I'm hearing buried under all the layers there, but it's been difficult. "Road," on the other hand, which I didn't particularly like when I first heard it, has emerged as one that I like a lot.

Funny, a friend of mine (we've had friendly battles over how good Paul's solo stuff has been-- we're both big Beatles fans) just bought the CD, and I thought he'd hate it, as he's not one for production. We meet at Beatles, but I like pop rock more than he does, he goes for more Allman Brothers/Grateful Dead-type jam bands. He's more a Harrison/Lennon fan, me, although I love 'em all, McCartney.

So, this morning I open his email, and he says he really likes NEW. Go figure!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:08 pm

JimQ said:"her problem with the album was that "he calls it NEW, but its not new. There are no new sounds here". What does that mean? What is a new sound?! Modern sounds? Road?"
This is one of my pet peaves when it come to reviewers of Macca's music. It's such a lame comment. I mean McCartney is synonymous with innovative music; it really shows they don't think at all...remember Revolver anyone? Sgt. Pepper? That was Paul! How about "Helter Skelter"? Didn't he pretty much invent heavy metel with that one? What about Ram? Not enough new sounds there? Does Electric Arguments ring a bell? What about "She Loves You" for that matter...how many times is the man supposed to reinvent everything? How much more can be done in music?
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:10 pm

mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby JimQ » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:52 pm

efghijiloveyou wrote:JimQ said:"her problem with the album was that "he calls it NEW, but its not new. There are no new sounds here". What does that mean? What is a new sound?! Modern sounds? Road?"
This is one of my pet peaves when it come to reviewers of Macca's music. It's such a lame comment. I mean McCartney is synonymous with innovative music; it really shows they don't think at all

So true. He really is the epitome of innovation in music for the last 50 years, but especially more recently. It really does get me angry. From what I can see it's all uk/Irish reviews that are only grudgingly favourable. I read somewhere that's he's "everyone's embarrassing uncle". I think in the U.K., as he's "theirs", they feel they need to be dismissive.
I know when I became a big mccartney fan around 2000 (I'm youngish... Sort of!!) it was literally the least cool thing I could have done. In recent times, with all the touring, that really has changed and there's a wildly positive vibe about him amongst the rabble. During MAF there was no mocking - he was a legend. It seems to be slipping backward again and I'm not sure why. Maybe kisses on the bottom made people think he was less cool? I don't know.

Don't worry Mattal, I fully respect your taste in hosannaness! Completely agree about Road - first listen was not the greatest but it really is rewarding!! Such a dynamic song.
JimQ

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:43 pm

Regarding "Hosanna", it seems to me this track has a lot of people saying they think it's ok, but nothing spectacular and I would include myself in that category. However each time I hear it, it seems better and better. This one's a grower, I guess and my opinion of it is getting quite high.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby JimQ » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:41 pm

I find it's the song I play to non-macca fans to try and convert them - and it works! I think it's the most hipster friendly song :-) Angsty and complicatedly simple ;-)
JimQ

Postby mr h atom » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:00 pm

i'm kinda with everybody on 'hosanna'; it's one that for the longest time i just didn't 'get'...

like so much else on this album...that has changed...

for me, right now, there's not a filler, clunker or unwanted song...they are all growing on me some by leaps and bounds, in thier own, magical way

hang in there, macca fans and keep on spinnin' those tracks...

the most esteemed M has maintained from the beginning that we'd eventually realize the varied wonders of this album...

and if reading all these posts can be a sign...the signs are all positive...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions