A NEW ranking of Maccas albums

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: A NEW ranking of Maccas albums

Postby mr h atom » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:24 pm

...you could always cheat, ma brutha... :wink:

but, if you did...i'd have to take away your tutu :cry:

hey, laz...welcome back... \:d/

one question, tho :-?

are the lyrics this time as good as yours, better...or worse :shock:

=))

oh, dang, sorry, man...could not resist :YMHUG:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Worse, I should think...Hey, Chris I haven't heard the album yet either and since I work all day tomorrow, I won't have a listen til tomorrow night. ~X(
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:13 am

i totally feel your pain ...i originally had the entire day off...guess what i had plans to do =P~

but now all of a sudden it looks like i gotta go in for a few hours...so it'll be at least 1pm or later before i get to...indulge ~X( X(

WTF :cry:
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Lazarus_2 wrote:On second listen. Some sections of music and or lyrics I may be unhappy with, but overall New appears to be a very good record. It's at least in the Good section of my ratings at the moment just shy of Ram/Chaos territory.

Welcome back Laz. Happy you liked the New album
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:16 am

I don t really expect Paul to write another Penny Lane, Blackbird, Hey Jude, Yesterday or even Jet or Band on the Run. They are already there for our eternal listening pleasure. What i like is paul making music reflecting where he is now but still showing his one of a kind genius composing great melodies/songs and producing interesting sounds. In that matter New -at least for me-is sensationally good. Almost everything I ever liked about Macca is here-The melodies, the sometimes whimsically approach, some great rockn roll, beautiful ballads and some more experimental tracks. I don t find any real weak track among the lot. Actually what this album does with me only happens on a few occasions every decade. So how would I place this in regards to Pauls other work let s see

Electric Argument I enjoy for what it is-a mostly improvised experiment Some good stuff but as a whole not even remotely close to New.
Memory has a lot going for it when it comes to songs - but mastering aside. Only maybe two songs on that album might have the quality to match the songs on New.
Chaos is-for me-another masterpiece but lacks the flow and adventure New delivers. There are also some songs-for example Follow me that doesn t hold up to the albums general quality.
Driving Rain Id rather not discuss in this company -it s OK but nothing more.
Flaming Pie has some of Maccas best ever solo songs-Little Willow is one of them but also some jamsession fillers.
Of the Ground is not a very good album(my opinion)even though there are some nice things on it.
Flowers in the dirt has some great songs but also some not so great and suffers from some eighties production values I don t like.
Press to play has it s fans but I think it s a pretty awful album -honestly.
Pipes of peace was not a great follow up to Tug of War but actually has it s moments of gret,wellcrafted pop music.
Tug of War is a gem - certainly one of Pauls finest
Mccartney 2 took me 25 years to actually love, now with the deluxeedition I find it one unique album that somehow has a life of it s own.
Back to the egg has nice things going but doesn t belong to my favorites. The same can be said about London Town.
WOA is a livealbum but for me represents one of Maccas absolutely peaks as a performer and singer. At the Speed of sound has some of Wings best songs but unfortunately also some of the worst, Venus and Mars I still think as a brilliant album.
Band on the Run-a timeless classic.
Red Rose Speedway has a bit of uncertainty over it-could have been better but I still love it to death. Wild life has some not so good moments but I actually like it - yes even Bib bop
. Ram i see as on of the best popalbums ever made-period. Mccartney is one album i always keep coming back to. Sketchy and unfinished yes - but there are great songs and a certain vibe I keep coming back to
Among his cover albums Run Devil Run is stunning, KOTB is also great in it s own way
I dont really wanna rank but at the moment New is up there with his absolutely best stuff for sure. The best, top three, top five doesnt matter it s just Macca at his very best
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby bravefan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:42 pm

There are some terrific songs on New. Ranking in the top 5 for me...no way. The hidden song might be the best on the whole CD. Stunning how open and honest. I relly enjoyed it and it might be his best work in a long time. Top 10 for sure.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:10 pm

for me, it's still way too early to consider 'new' for my top 5: it hasn't proven itself that sort of long-term seaworthyness...yet

i can see 'new' in an updated top 10...
mr h atom

Postby bravefan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:54 am

That's what I said! I've only heard it once to be fair. Some of the songs though I really like.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:49 pm

Mr H, I get where you're coming from. It's way too early in the game to make definitive judgments here. Even within a week, I've changed my mind on certain songs (although, none have been in a negative direction, so it's fair to say as much as I liked the album on first full listen, I'm liking it even more every time I play it!).

I'm just happy he's put out something that he's obviously put a lot of care and effort into. That's all we can ask of the guy, really.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:01 pm

totally agreed, matts...there is not a song on this one that i do not at least like...alot...even, yes (finally) New.

having said that...there are quite a few albums, including all those in my top 5 (and many in my top 10) where i like/love all the songs to one degree or another....

for me, my top 5 holds no weak-kneed trifles: i consider them to be a pretty sturdy bunch...but that is, as usual, just me humble O'...

one never knows: while it might seem to be hard to crack a 5...it can happen: MAF somehow won me over pretty much from the get-go

and, so far, New certainly has all the right chops...

oh, well...i'm back quoting Asia again...OTWT
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions