My Review of NEW

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: My Review of NEW

Postby chris » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:14 pm

thanks, magnus. but...now I have to hold out just on principle. i've had offers to get it in my head...but it's been so long...what's another day or two?

but I have to admit...coming to this site...reading all these honest and thoughtful reviews...i'm getting a little frustrated.

what better way to test someones mettle, right?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:47 pm

You're a Macca warrior, Chris. Soldier on! :salute
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby lobbybobby » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Looking at Her

This continues to grow for me :-BD

How does he do that?
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:12 pm

I haven't fully absorbed everything yet, but I think I have enough of it to give it a 1st draft impression.

OVERVIEW
My sense of New is that it will be regarded as one of Macca's best albums ever. I am not sure where exactly at this point, but it will be way up near the top IMO and will hold up quite well over time. There will always be fans who like Paul a certain way...Beatle Paul, Wings Paul, Rocker Paul, Balladeer Paul, Fireman Paul. The good thing about New is that this great, eclectic composer-musician-vocalist-artist is present in all of his forms and has even ventured into some fresh waters. The bottom line is that everything is high quality no matter the style and what we have here is something very special. Working with 4 different producers turned out to be a stroke of genius, whether or not it was planned that way. With everything he has accomplished, he found a way to make it work in a fresh way and in this case blending who he is with contemporary technology without sacrificing a thing. There is a lot to be said about choosing the right order of songs, but especially in this case where so many of the songs are different in style and mood. He absolutely nailed it

SAVE US
A great way to start, this is a straight up rocker, part I Saw Her Standing There, part Wings circa 1975 - Junior's Farmish. Lyrically I get the feeling Paul is singing to his audience as if it were a plea to save real music :smile: Love the cascading guitar riff in the chorus that draws you in. I think he has written better rock and roll songs, i.e. Jet, Junior's Farm, but this song kicks butt and it's over before you want it to be.

ALLIGATOR
Really interesting production on this one. This could have gone all kinds of wrong and ended up as a light ditty. But it didn't. It starts off like some celtic sounding Irish jig, but then you can feel the intense pulse of the acoustic guitars building up to the edgy electric guitar riff which sent this off in another direction. Paul's scat-like vocal combined with the lyrical poetry in this song make for an interesting contrast to the music driving it. The break in the middle 8 is an appropriate breather and quite unexpected. Great Track!

ON MY WAY TO WORK
I find myself humming this one constantly. If Paul had joined the Traveling Wilburys this is one of the songs he would have brought in. Classic McCartney melody, great sounding acoustics, beautiful harmonies and a verse about a Playboy centerfold even though "All the time I thought of you"... What more can you ask for?

QUEENIE EYE
This one is off the charts. The Beatles introduced us to places we didn't know about that became so familiar and now we have a kid's game! This song rocks and Paul is the only one alive who can create something like this. It's too early for me to fully analyze. Trying to describe it just won't do it justice. The comparisons to MMT and Walrus are out there, but I think if Paul had come up with this back then it would have been considered one of best Beatle songs - yeah YEAH yeah YEAH. Not just a song, but a creation! :-BD :-BD :-BD :-BD

EARLY DAYS
I don't know about anyone else, but I get emotional hearing this song, one of the best Paul has ever done.Ever. Lyrically, musically, and especially vocally which is so appropriate for this song. This song came from the heart with a melody on par with anything he has done. This is a man who has lived an incredible life reflecting on where he came from and setting the record straight. Musically reminiscent of something between Blackbird and Mother Nature's Son with Paul's vocal as he really is today. Paul often writes generically, metaphorically or subtly, and rarely do we get a straight on candid look into his heart lyrically speaking. Part of the lyric is now my signature which should tell you what I think about this song, which I believe to be the best on this album and one of his best ever. And what a nice position after the raucous Queenie Eye! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

NEW
I love where this was positioned as well. From Early Days to New - just perfect. I liked this song instantly, and another one only Paul can do. Just filled with infectious hooks and signature McCartney Oooos and harmonies. Such an upbeat, positive song that makes you feel good while bringing back great memories of Revolver era Beatles when those of us who lived through it waited with eager anticipation of what the boys would do next. How he can even come up with a song like this at this stage is amazing.

APPRECIATE
From one treat to the next. This album is like a sampler tray of the best desserts you have ever had in your life. This could have been on the Fireman and IMO would have been the 2nd or 3rd best track on it. Love the way it goes from a soulful funky groove with a falsetto vocal to rocking out. I don't get the polarization of this song at all, nor the ridiculous comparisons I have read to Gratitude which is nowhere near the same league as this.The slide guitar near the end is fabulous.

EVERYBODY OUT THERE
Great singalong in the vein of Mrs. Vanderbilt. I can see why he chose to start playing this live. This has actually moved down the list for me, but only because many of the other tracks are so good. This would have been a big hit in the 70's, as much as New would have been a huge hit in the 60's. Another of several great guitar riffs that has become a lost art. Love those minor chords that Paul loves, too.

HOSANNA
I think this was a bit over-hyped. I guess the title raised expectations, but it doesn't deliver the power I was expecting. I love the way it starts and when the harmonies come in but the chorus doesn't pack the power to make this a great song. It sounds too similar to the verses and doesn't really go anywhere.

I CAN BET
Do you recall when the Bee Gees sang Beatle songs on that awful movie Sgt Pepper? As popular as they were at the time it was not a good result. This song is one Barry Gibb could have written and the Bee Gees would have made it a hit. Then if Paul covered it, it would have been better than the original, much like The Beatles did with a lot of songs they covered. Fortunately Paul came up with this great pop song first!

LOOKING AT HER
There are more hooks in this song than Hosanna as well as more variations in the production, something Hosanna could have used. Just a slight emphasis of power in the right spot, i.e. "I'm losing my mind" can make a big difference. Great little guitar solo reminiscent of A Certain Softness

ROAD
The Fireman returns! Wow, so much depth in this track it's not easy to describe. In fact I don't think I can right now! I do know that I like it but I will have to fully absorb this track to give a fair treatment!

TURNED OUT
This is the second song Paul Wilbury would have contributed and could have co-written with George. I can hear Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty and George doing the backups on the chorus. Very catchy, jaunty and should have made the first cut!

GET ME OUT OF HERE
Ha ha, oh boy! Just love this folk song jam. Did Paul write this in the early 1950's? This could have been another Fireman song and love the vocal effect making it sound like an old recording. Kind of like Old Shoe in Wag the Dog! Bust out the washboards and moonshine jugs. Is that the Mills Brothers singing the backup "Oh Boys"? :lol: Sounds like an impromptu singalong in a roadhouse somewhere in Mississippi.

SCARED
Very similar to This Loving Game, only more personal and intimate with just piano and vocal as if Paul were in your living room. This was appropriate as a hidden track

It's hard to rank everything, but suffice it to say I am enjoying the hell out of this album. Sir Paul has delivered a great gift once again!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Postby mhnso » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:11 am

That was a nicely written review COB. Since I listened early on and started to claim this albums greatness I felt a bit nervous the y all would t have liked it at all. But actually, judging from this and other sites and reviews there seems to be a general concensus about this being a great album. And it
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:19 am

:? ..."and it" what ??

oh...i know... :wink: ...and it....s a shame chris hasn't heard it yet, right :lol:

:shock: ...ohnoiDINT !!!

sorry big c...i have it on good authority.................that you will have your copy................sometime before........................the cubs win the series :D

i know..i suck..... :salute ^:)^ :YMHUG:

love ya bro...really...honestly.... X_X

i deserve whatever i get for this
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:19 am

Mr h You should behave and be kind to poor Chris. Unfortunately for him he used airmail as delivery method not Federx like i did. Never trust the airmail as the old wise chinse said. I am sure he will get the album before christmas anyway. Christmas 2014 that is. We ll se how strong he can be
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:52 am

really solid review, ComeOnBrotha. Probably because I agree with most of what you wrote!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:54 am

c'mon, M...you know i never listen to any chinse...wise or not :wink:

:salute

BTW...great overview COB :-BD
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:07 pm

mr h atom wrote::? ..."and it" what ??

:lol: I was wondering the same thing? Are we missing out on the secret to life? :-? What IS it? What?!?!?!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions