A NEW song thread

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: A NEW song thread

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:54 pm

just grabbed "Struggle" off YOUTUBE. Not bad. Sort of a brother to "Road." Sounds like something I'll like more with repeated listens.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:01 pm

This whole album is astonishing, but Early Days has gripped me and inhabits my mind like no other song. So far It's my favorite. There's something in this track that evokes a mixture of emotions I can't quite describe. I think It's one of Paul's great songs. So beautifully and wonderfully McCartney...
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby lobbybobby » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:35 pm

One of the great things about this album for me is the way different songs will pop in my head randomly all day long. It's like I inserted NEW into my brain and pressed shuffle.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:24 am

not anywhere near ready to do proper review...but here's some impressions...

save us - better here than live..nice driving bass..love the yell: that studio effect is cool
alligator - love the bass...i get glimpses of 'bellamy' and 'DR' in there...fun but lightweight...love the 'effects at begining and end
on my way to work - this one leaves me curious...what's it all about...doesn't feel like a true reminisce...feels like he was trying to say something, but...odd juxtapostion of musical/lyrical themes: kinda like calico...
queenie eye - this one is fast growing on me...loud, brash, adventurous...sonic coolness..haven't a clue what its really all about, guess its a bit of a rant coupled with some, once again, reminiscing
early days - whoa !! great track...great 'voice'...i think someone somewhere mentioned this might be this albums 'here today'..this might be better...knowing and assertive lyrics are possibly the best on the album
new- surprise ! dang thing fits very well between these two...good stuff, maynard...
appreciate - ED may be the best song..this is my favorite, tho...dark, cool, slinky, inventive, addictive: easily fulfills my inner M2/PTP demons...easily (if he'd had the cajones to put 'struggle' on the album...this whole shebang would've easily gone top 5)
everybody out there - like SU,100% better here than live... and it works alot better than some have given it credit for..really good track
hosanna - nice, but not overwhelming: if there's one place where the prepublicity went awry...it might be here...nowhere near the best track, but not bad. sonically inventive, but lyrically tame
i can bet - ummm...kinda...normal...for me, so far, the weakest link.,.not bad, by any stretch...just not...ear-perkingly memorable
looking for her - and we get back into a bit more of a more creative soundscape, if still rather ordinary lyrics... almost seems like he's running out of ideas at this point...not quite ho-hum, but considering what went before, not earthshattering
road - has a nice, low, smoky start, gets all sort of EA-ish...interesting...mildly inventive...but a wee bit long...meanders...
turned out - strong track, great vocal...this is a ..b-side..a leftover ?? it's much better than 'i can bet'...near pefect, fun
get me out of here - great fluff ! totally smile inducing from beginning to end...light acerbic stomp !! "i'm a celebrity !"
scared - raw. honest. dramatic...scared. love that voice. this albums 'the end of the end': total dramatic oomph

anyone who thinks the mans voice will soon wither and die...will not be able to do much more good as it ages, need only listen to, especially, 'early days' and 'scared' to know he's got quite alot left in him to say...and a great way to say it...

i also, in all my listenings, cannot for the life of me see where he's attempted, at all, to cover the age thing up...his voice crackles with age all over the place...and where studio trickery is used it is used solely for dramatic effect...just like he's always done...just like nearly everybody has always done for the same sort of reasons

it is a great album, indeed !!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:11 am

Thank s for your posting mr H and glad you liked the thing. Gotta tell you that strange things happening with this album during repeated listenings. For instance songs you didn t think of much first few times tend to grow on you. Road is one of these for me-first listenings for me -well a decent Electric Argument try-now it is the one I keep coming back to. Epic soundscapes .,good singing and that basslines and powerchords in the end. Such a multilayered track
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:24 am

enjoyed, and pretty much agree, with your review Mr. H. "Turned Out" IS better than "I Can Bet" (which I like, too), and I think we'd both agree, if you have to have just one of two similar sounding songs, "Turned Out" should have been the keeper, yes?

Totally agree on the voice thing. Yeah, he surely tried to "hide" his voice on "Early Days," "New," and "Looking At Her," didn't he. Silly criticisms. And, yes, on the other songs, it's for the SONG, not to try and sound 30 years younger. That criticism doesn't hold water.

MHNSO, yes. Repeated listens really do change your take on some of these songs.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:51 am

totally agree with both, this chameleon changes from day to day: it's still too early...

songs that i wasn't much fond of the first go are quickly settling in nicely...

some i loved from the first go and that has only deepened with each spin...

there is nothing here that i dislike in even the slighest way...just a few that either haven't 'hit' me yet...or will end up being just a little bit less because, so far (for me), they don't go out on a limb and fly like the others do
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Hosannah
This song was a bit hyped before release but doesn t belong to the group of songs that got so much attention after. Maybe because their is so plenty of goodies on the album maybe because it s à very quiet and introspective song. For me this one has grown enormously. It has a truly great but not so Mccartneish melody and à interesting dreamy arrangement. The lyrics are more comlplicated than the usual McCartney lovesong. Actually it s not clear if this is about love between love between two partners or the love of God. This is à song more in the footsteps of Jeff Buckley,Leonard Cohen or maybe Paul Simon. I find it to be the perhaps most and truly beatiful music on the album. Actually wouldn t mind Paul to make à whole album with stuff like this. But that s me.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:26 am

I have come to regard Appreciate as something of-a -masterpiece, On the surface a modern sound but there are layers here that reveals all kind of music. The chorus for instance with the fuzzguitars and Maccas vocals low in the mix is straight from the crazier Helter Skelter parts of the White album. Some of the harmony vocals also has a very beatle sound. Some other effects are straight from the Fireman bag of tricks and the slideguitar in the end are straight from-dunno somewhere from outer space. All in all this is a heavy rock track with pshychedelic effects and some modern beats . Often when I listen to it I put on repeat. Can t really get enough of this track that actually has a very Beatles feel for me. If the Beatles had made a record today. Great stuff anyway
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:58 am

beatles ?!?! ~X(

PHOOEY !!!!!

pure mccartney !!! :ymparty:

THE inventive, wild, crazy, off the wall, assertive mccartney of monkberry...uncle albert...thrillington...morris moose...all of M2...twin freaks...fireman...mr bellamy...EA...and, yes, even alot of (if not most of) PTP... :cheers

i reiterate...if he'd put 'struggle' on here...as it should be...this would already be in my top 5...points off for that one, i'm afraid

you know i'm right, M...just take an avbrutit enphatic and call me in the morning... :-D
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions