NEW reviews

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW reviews

Postby james1985 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:05 am

Early faves:
Early Days
Alligator
Scared (bit of a re-write of this loving game, but great to have at the end of the album)
Looking at Her
Get Me Out of Here (loads of fun!)

Early turkeys:
I Can Bet
Turned Out

It's hanging together more with each listen. Sounded very disparate the first couple of times. Full review soon!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:12 am

efghijiloveyou wrote:Oh, he changed it now! Too late, Mhnso...

It s never to late to change bro
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:15 am

I wonder if Nwe might not be one of the most critically acclaimed Macca albums ever.Don t care much about reviews.-they are mostly lazy and desperately trying to be funny. Nowadays I find the best rock journalism on different internet sites-for instance Pitcfork who gives the album a great thumbs -or whatever part of the body one can imagine-UP. Pitchwork is today one of the most important sources and their 7,8 rewiew of this album is defintively important when it comes to create an interest among the younger listeners
Here it is for pleasure and enjoyment
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/186 ... rtney-new/
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:31 am

mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:37 pm

I couldn't disagree with you more, James1985, but I guess that's what makes Macca so great, and so appealing-- his ability to do all kinds of things.

I don't quibble with your early favorites, but the two you list as turkeys are two very catchy pop/rock songs. Both could have come out of the 70's and been huge radio hits (not these days, unfortunately). And these would have been hits in a good sense, unlike some of the, umm, less than stellar hits Paul did have ("Let Em In" comes to mind).

"Turned Out" and "I Can Bet" are two of my early absolute faves on this really fine new album. "Turned Out" should have been on the album proper (not as a Deluxe bonus track), and they wouldn't have had to "drop" any songs...just have 13 (or 14 if you count "Scared").

But, I haven't put out my "review" of NEW yet, so I'll stop here.

I guess we're going to have these kinds of (hopefully) friendly disagreements for quite a while as we all sort the new album out. That's fine. As another Paul once wrote, "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Mattal1958 wrote:I couldn't disagree with you more, James1985, but I guess that's what makes Macca so great, and so appealing-- his ability to do all kinds of things.

I don't quibble with your early favorites, but the two you list as turkeys are two very catchy pop/rock songs. Both could have come out of the 70's and been huge radio hits (not these days, unfortunately). And these would have been hits in a good sense, unlike some of the, umm, less than stellar hits Paul did have ("Let Em In" comes to mind).

"Turned Out" and "I Can Bet" are two of my early absolute faves on this really fine new album. "Turned Out" should have been on the album proper (not as a Deluxe bonus track), and they wouldn't have had to "drop" any songs...just have 13 (or 14 if you count "Scared").

Isn't that amazing? I love those 2 songs and agree with you. Then again I like them all and don't think there is a "turkey" anywhere in the lot. This is a really great album. All of the Pauls are present, which is great because if you are a fan at all there will be something to really like
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Postby james1985 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Today has been the day when it's all come together and I've finally fallen for the album as a whole, but those two tracks (I Can Bet and Turned Out) are, along with Road, the weakest for me.

But this is a strong album and it's a real joy.
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby JimQ » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:56 pm

It's funny James, those three are my favourites - it just shows how amazing an album it is, that we all find a lot we like even if our tastes are different. I'll let you in on a secret... I actually hated Early Days for a while.... I see it's lovely, but just same chords over and over gets to me (great lyrics though) and I do wish they'd let him have another go at the vocals.... however he song is hugely growing on me mostly because...

I was driving home last night, scenic route so I could spin New a few times..... and the irish national broadcaster had a review of NEW on the radio. They played both early days and New... (another song I'm only moderately crazy about - I mean, why can't we look at him?!) and I have to say they were such a wonderful surprise compared to the generic stuff you hear. I really fell for them. Anyway.. the review:

They went on and on and on about his voice due to Early days. I like it now - but I think that's because I know the feel he was going for. I think non-obsessives will listen and go "put your feet up love". The presenter (Sean Rocks - can that be a real name?) kept saying after Early Days - "whoa, that needed a rethink of the key there! His voice can't really stand up to this anymore, can it?!" I felt particularly enraged.. :puker He went so far that eventually one of the contributors eventually said that that was the only example of croakiness, and that it added to the song. I started warming to her til she started rambling on that her problem with the album was that "he calls it NEW, but its not new. There are no new sounds here". What does that mean? What is a new sound?! Modern sounds? Road? Appreciate? I must misunderstand... Maybe she wanted the sounds of a milkman being strangled or something. Another contributor jumped in and said it was probably the start of a new relationship.. i.e. as the song NEW says... she seemed unconvinced. They all postulated some silly questions which would have all been answered by a cursory glance at the press release. They then played NEW, and suddenly all was bright. Presenter said he could sing "with a little help from my friends along with it"... no you can't.... but its went over very well. After much rubbish they actually all agreed that it was a great album and gave it 3.5 and 4 out of 5.
JimQ

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:45 am

JimQ, I'm with you. "I Can Bet" and "Turned Out" are two of my favorites on this album, and "Road" sounds better with each listen.

The one I'm having trouble warming up to is "Hosanna." But, that's really the only one.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby JimQ » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:07 am

I promise you will Mattal. I disliked it first, but it's all the over production. Once you're used to that the little gem will pop out to you. It's the one for singing at a party to impress people I think :-) Turned out is completely burned into my head - it's not necessarily my favourite track (I think...!) but I seem to be whistling it for 4 days straight
JimQ

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions