A NEW song thread

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: A NEW song thread

Postby mhnso » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:01 am

Yes Apreciate could have been a firemanpiece but better than most of those
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:32 am

definitely would have fit on ELECTRIC ARGUMENTS, and it would have been one of the best things on it.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:37 am

no worries, matts...

both M2 and PTP, while beloved by me (and quite a few others), were made/created eons ago...

i would hope he would've learned how to assimilate sounds/moods/to a more creative, higher artistic degree...not to mention being a songwriter with more maturity...in the good, experienced way

i actaully dream of an album so far more accomplished that it can eclipse either of these two top 5'...why wouldn't one want to see the lad do better ?

it'd be a proud moment, indeed, that at the end of this current musical journey, when all is said and done, i can easily and happily say my top 5 MIGHT go...

ram
new
m2
ptpt
maf

..that's actually a good thing, methinks :salute
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:32 am

Mr H: you are going to adore the album. New might be the least interesting song on the whole album. I expect you to fully freak out upon spending some time with the record.
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Mr H I have no idea what you will think of the new album. However I am fairly certain that you will like some of the track. One is Struggle-unfortunately hidden as a bonus on the japanese edition but available through modern technology. Also think you will like Road and Alligator. Perhaps Early days to. You might also APRECIATE apreciate. I bet you will enjoy I can bet.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:16 pm

thanks LLD :salute

thanks M ^:)^

since nearly everyone seems to think the sigle 'new' is the weakest, and since i'm...mea culpa...warming up significantly to that one...

i'm beginning to get a feelin'...a feelin' deep inside...oh yeah :-BD
mr h atom

Postby mr h atom » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:20 am

to answer the most important question..yes, 'appreciate' is...so far, i-m-not-so-h-o..THE best song on this album...

love 'struggle', too...too bad he didn't just go for broke; with all the extra songs being this good, this coulda been that all time classic double he's yet to make...
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:27 am

mr h atom wrote:to answer the most important question..yes, 'appreciate' is...so far, i-m-not-so-h-o..THE best song on this album...

love 'struggle', too...too bad he didn't just go for broke; with all the extra songs being this good, this coulda been that all time classic double he's yet to make...

But if you get the japanese edition yoy get all these son of a b-c on the sane album. Voila. Some people seem to actually hate Struggle I think it s great. Struggle and Appreciate belong to sone of the heavyset stuff in Maccas entire catalogue. But I have noticed with this album that there are an extreme amount of growers that s why I have very hard to pick a single favorite -it changes all the time. Take Road for instance-first listening I thought it was a decent, but not more offspring from Electric Argumens-after repeated listenings this is today my favorite. So much music goin on in that track. For instance the basslines and powerchords in the end. Classic rock indeed. Early days is the one song that have been a have ever since first hearing it. Alligator to.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:46 am

Early days
Now time has come for me to express my feeling about this-already much praised song. I will start to say that Early Days is a song that is a true contender as one of Maccas finest efforts ever-with or without the Beatles. Listening to it many times during the last 1 1/2 week it s actually get s better and better for me. Why is that.
1. The melody - First listenings it seems like a rather standard folkish melody. Repeated listening reveals it as a true Macca melodic gem- in the same league or not far from his very best. And then we are talking real good melodies. The simplest melody is mostly the most difficult to find out.
2. The words - Extremely simple but very affecting. Some people find the last verse about people claiming to now things even if they weren t there unnecessary. I think the opposite -it s an edge and a twist to the song. Honestly though no one can be sure that Maccas memories are correct but they are his and that is something noo ne can take away. In that way this song written about a specific situation can also work on a more universal level where all of us can more or less feel this way looking back.
3. The arrangement - Much has been made of it sounding like Johnny Cash American recordings. As a devoted and rather in the know admirer of everything concerning Johnny Cash I don t see much that sounds the same. except it s an older man with acousticguitar. In fact Macca is much older than Cash were when he started his Rubinr recordings. The arrangement in Early days are so much bigger than the Cashrecordings -in fact there is a lot going on musically speaking that creates a big sound. I just love the countermelody in the harmony vocals -one of these things that gives this song a hymnlike quality
4. Pauls singing- Paul is old and on this song you really can tell. Read in a recent interview that he wanted to rerecord the thing to make the voice sound better. But producer vetoed that claimed that the fragile vocals gave the track a certain vulnerability. So much better that Paul accepted that choice because the vocal delivery is actually one of the things that makes the song come alive
Did I tell you that I love this track and give it a straight 11 out of 10
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:13 am

totally agree with both those posts...and, yeah...turning japanese might've done a wee bit o' good just to get 'struggle'... :cry:

and, as far as me & 'appreciate'..i did say.."so far" :wink:

cut me some slack, M :-h
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions