My Review of NEW

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: My Review of NEW

Postby lobbybobby » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:02 am

Welcome Gary :-h

Your absolutely spot on regarding V&M.

As for NEW:

I've listened to the deluxe version twice now. Everyone make sure you get the deluxe. The two bonus tracks should have been on the album proper. I know it's a money grab, but I sure wish they would cut it out.

The album itself is astonishing. I predict it will land on everyone's top five. Too early to tell exactly where it lands for me, but it's top three on the way to #1.

Not to be politically incorrect on a Macca fansite, but this album is pure meat: NO FILLER ADDED
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:57 pm

lobbybobby, from what I've heard, I'm leaning toward your take on this NEW album (God, we're going to be so sick of doing that! the NEW album...apologies!).

Will (try to) reserve judgment till I get to really give this album a proper listen, both thru the speakers, and especially thru headphones. But, I'm liking what I'm hearing. And, what's interesting is, my "expectations" for certain types of sounds and styles are NOT necessarily being met, but the stuff I'm hearing is winning me over, anyway! If that makes any sense...
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:51 am

Being a collector of music since maybe 45 years and an admirer of Macca just as long there are these rare events when I listen to a new record and keep asking myself. Do i actually hear right - is this as good as imagine it to be. Sometimes you tend to like something just because you want to like it but sometimes - asIi said on rare-occasions I really feel true awe. Remembering for instance the first time I listen to London s Calling with the Clash . To me it sounded so unbelievably good that it felt like one of the best albums ever. Time has proved this impression right, I have some more examples feeling like this about a new albums. Time out of mind from Dylan is another one now generally regarded as a classic masterpiece. Things is I - feel this way about Maccas new album. When I listen to some tracks or moments on the album I ask myself-can i trust myself - is this really this good. These rare feelings of absolute awe has mostly proven right for me so I actually think Paul has created a true masterpiece here that-when all is said and done-will be ranked up there among his finest and most realized albums ever. There is so much to take in I just can t believe it.
Of course there will be people who don t like this one there always is. But remember that most tracks are growers that takes a few listenings. There is also such an incredible range of musical styles that it s hard to take in. But the reward-at least for me-is honestly one of the greatest listening experiences I had for years
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:23 am

MHNSO, I hope you're right. As I've said, the things I've heard I like. Some more than others. But, the true indicator of something like this is, you have certain expectations, and then you listen, and they are not met. So, normally, you are disappointed, right? Well, my expectations were a bit different than a lot of what I'm hearing, however, I'm NOT disappointed, but intrigued by and enjoying the music I'm hearing.

I don't know if I'm making sense on this, so I'll use an example. When I was 14-15, Paul had come out with one of my all time favorite singles of his in late '72 that carried over into early '73, "Hi, Hi, Hi." I was STOKED, as I KNEW an album was in the works (unlike BOTR, which came out later that year, 1973, and which took me totally by surprise). I was stoked because I expected what was to be RED ROSE SPEEDWAY to have this kind of rock and roll energy.

When RRS came out, my initial reaction from song one, "Big Barn Bed" was-- yes, I like this. I hope the album follows this funky rock kind of stuff. "My Love" was the next track, which is one of Paul's all time greatest, so the momentum swing from rock to slow ballad didn't bother me. I was awaiting to hear the rest of the album.

That's when the bottom fell out for me. I kept waiting and waiting and waiting to hear something-- anything-- resembling "Hi, Hi, Hi" or "Big Barn Bed." But, NOTHING approached that rock and roll side of Paul. In fact, the album sounded slow and lazy. Granted, over time, I appreciate a lot of the songs individually, "Single Pigeon" being one of my favorites. But, that's an example of an album that I anticipated with a certain expectation, and was completely let down.

The tracks I'm hearing from NEW are different from what I was expecting-- and I can't formulate into words exactly what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I'm hearing-- yet these songs and the production styles are winning me over. Rather than being let down, it's gotten me pumped up.

Again, want to hear the whole album a few times before I commit to a "final" review (which will still be subject to change as the months and years go by). But, I'm liking this NEW stuff a lot!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby savillerowdie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:54 am

Mattal, if Paul's original intention for the double album Red Rose Speedway had come to pass, I think your expectations would have been better satisfied. Studio version of The Mess, live versions of Soily and 1882 and no Hold Me Hands of Lazy Dynamite Power medley. Possibly should have thrown Live & Let Die on there, too. I kind of like the medley, but I would have preferred the album as originally intended. That early version of Wings had a funkiness to it that I think the double album with those tracks would have captured much better. I do like Red Rose Speedway, but it did not reach the full potential of the band in that era.
savillerowdie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:35 am

savillerowdie, it's funny you mention that. When I was anticipating RRS as a 15 year old, with visions of an album full of "Hi, Hi, HI" dancing in my head, I actually envisioned a double album. Seriously. I was thinking, "wouldn't it be great if he put out a double album?"

Little did I know, years later I find out that was the original intent!
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:24 pm

I really don t like to categorize or rank things all that much. If I like something I like it - it s very difficult to say i like it as much as 6 or even a 8. When it comes to music it has - for me more to do with emotions. I like most kind of music and have a vast collection. Macca has always been a favorite and I think it has something to do with the emotional impact his first two albums had on me. There was something on both Mccartney and Ram that somehow talked directly to the me. Still do-every time I listen do those albums and a couple of more from his catalogue. Sometimes there is just a song -like Little Willow or To much Rain that gives me this-hard to describe feeling. Guess it s a mixture of Maccas mastery of melodies, musically intelligence and diversity. but also the melancholic touch I sometimes find comfort in both in his voice and his melodies . This is not a intellectual game for me but an emotional. The reason I like this new album so much is that many tracks give me that feeling. More than in any Macca album I can remember. If it s me or the album i don t know is that i like it very much. And that it was music is for me-feelings.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Just done my first listen, will report back after a few more.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:10 pm

mhnso, I think a lot of us feel the way you do. It's fun to "categorize" and "rate" things, because it's one of the ways we can discuss things of mutual interest. However, yes, music is something that can be deeply personal, and it explains why some people absolutely love things that you would cringe at, and vice versa.

I was on a Beatles discussion board several years ago, and what we used to do was, our little group of anywhere between a half dozen to a dozen, queue up a Beatles or solo album at home (on our own individual CD players, tape decks, or even turntables), and "listen" together...commenting as we listened on IM. Remember the now defunct (I think) service, Prodigy? Anyway, it was always illuminating to me how we could all listen to a Beatles album, or individual track-- and all of us were HUGE Beatles fans, obviously-- yet come away with the most amazing differences of opinion.

I remember one night, after listening to an album, saying, quite innocently, "you know, the song "Little Child" reminds me of "Tell Me Why." One of the people on the board agreed with me, but another one jumped all over me, citing all the technical clap trap of how "different" these songs were structurally, and melodically, and yada yada yada. Well, perhaps this guy was right...but he didn't get my point. To me, the songs had the same kind of "feel" to them. Another example would be "Every Little Thing" sounding a lot like "Tell Me What You See." Other people would scratch their heads and say "wha?" But, to me, there is a strong similarity in the way they sound and how I "hear" them.

So, it's just opinion in the end. No one can get in anyone else's heads (or ears). Which is why I am amazed how groups like The Beatles, or Frank Sinatra, or Elvis, or whoever became so popular. What was it about these artists that set them apart, and made them so appealing on such a mass scale? Surely there were countless others around their periods who were, if not equally talented, nearly as...yet, they toiled in obscurity, while the others became popular, famous, rich, and trendsetting.

And, I've babbled on enough. Let me read this back and see how full of myself it sounds...yikes!
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 am

Why do like this album so much. I am not for analyzing things but I think one of the main reason is that this album includes most everything I ever liked about Macca. It s a painting with lot s of colors-something I like. Sometimes I think Mccartney have tried a little bit to hard to be Paul Mccartney and the results sometimes being -if not boring-but a bit stiff. Take for instance the typical piano ballad that is included on most Mccartney albums. More often than not they have been rather forgettable - of course with exceptions. Scared on the other hand is a classic Macca pianoballad -it doesn t seems like Macca actually tried -it just happened. Suddenly we have-my opinion, his finest effort in this genre for 40 years.
Same with many other things here-of course there is hard work behind but also lot of freedom. Macca is at his best when things just pours out of him,warts and all, and maybe that is what happened here. Bit of the same I think about Chaos(great as it is) but that album lacks some of he flow New has. This freedom of expression and flow are the things I feel made McCartney, Ram and McCartney 2 albums that works so well for me-it s like looking inside the HEAD of Macca without filters. iIt s kinda magic really to turn a simple shuffle like Alligator into a melodic, psychedelic masterwork. Not to mention turning a simple,folky tune like Early Days into the shining diamond of a track it is.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions