NEW reviews

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW reviews

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Mattal, some of your criticism of Simon and Dylan is fair, but for me Dylan has been pretty damn good since Time Out of Mind. This period of his career has been nearly as bright as his sixties output albeit less explosive. Dylan's fallow period lasted a LONG time, but he has been pretty consistently good (as has our kid) for the last fifteen years, I think. As for Simon, I agree that Graceland has always been overrated, not poor, but overrated. I actually like Rhythm of the Saints a little more. They're kind of like twin 'world music' albums, but he has pulled back from that a bit. His 2000 release You're The One is a return to his pre-Graceland style and is shamefully underrated, if you ask me. I love So Beautiful or So What and I don't put it in the same category as Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:08 pm

efghijiloveyou, I have to respectfully disagree with you on Simon...especially YOU'RE THE ONE. I was so looking forward to that album (as I have said, I have almost everything Paul has put out, both with Art and without), and was sooooo disappointed once I got it. The quirky, exotic rhythm thing is still going on all over that album. To the point of distraction and annoyance.

I will say that "Darling Lorraine" is one of the most beautiful, saddest songs he's ever written and recorded. It is absolutely top notch, a great story telling song in the vein of "Duncan," or "Renee And Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After The War."

Other than that, most of the album is barely listenable. His lyrics are, as always, terrific. His voice is, as pretty much always, terrific. It's just the production style and the tunes. Simon made his mark writing catchy folky pop songs (first with S & G, then solo). Pop songs with lyrics that made you think, which set him apart from most of his contemporaries.

What's missing from his work the last 25 years is accessibility. The music is hard to embrace. I'm sure he's doing it intentionally, as he doesn't want to "repeat" himself. But there comes a time when you've exhausted all the different ways to do things, and you need to go back to square one. Simon stubbornly (in my opinion) REFUSES to do that.

I guess what I'm saying is, I would absolutely LOVE for him to do another album like his stripped down first solo album, PAUL SIMON. Or, if not, at least make the songs commercially catchy, as on BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER. If that's a fans saying I want the past re-done, well, then I plead guilty. I think there are ways to move forward without leaving the planet. McCartney seems to be able to do this. Why can't Simon?
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Back to topic. A great 4.5 rewiew from AMG This rewiew really nails the album

http://www.allmusic.com/album/new-mw0002578565
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby JimQ » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:13 pm

mhnso wrote:Back to topic. A great 4.5 rewiew from AMG This rewiew really nails the album

http://www.allmusic.com/album/new-mw0002578565

Great review - and it's true - he hasn't sounded so confident since Tug of War.
JimQ

Postby garrystanton » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:10 pm

I know I'm still off on a tangent here but I am finding this talk of Paul Simon, Dylan and Macca fascinating.

I have always loved PS, and as a musician/ writer myself, it's his songcraft I find mesmerising. I agree that he has gone off the boil a bit
of late, but then again, like PM, there are always good things on his albums- PS is a consummate craftsman, if now and then a tad precious.
Hurricane Eye, Darling Lorraine, Pigs, Sheep and Wolves are brilliant....

As for Dylan as compared to PM, it's oranges and lemons is it not? One is probably the finest rock/pop poet to grace the artform (ok, there's Lennon,
Cohen, Chuck Berry, even Macca, despite his bad press as a secondary lyricist, came up with Eleanor Rigby and Penny Lane) but Dylan has never been a great melodicist.

That's Macca's domain, and interestingly enough Mr P Simon is on record as saying that McCartney is, to him, the greatest tunesmith of them all-yeah, truly
the Mozart of his era, and boy will he be missed when, finally, he hopes you have enjoyed the show.....
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:44 pm

excellent review, although I think "Early Days" is a GREAT song. Perhaps it doesn't quite fit the "feel" of the rest of the CD (from what I've heard so far, anyway), but it is a great song. Glad he put it on here.

Yes, McCartney's confidence seems very high on this album. Agree completely with that.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby JimQ » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:45 pm

There is an other artists forum on here... just sayin...
JimQ

Postby mr h atom » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:14 pm

what ?

there is ?!!

where ????

i have it on good authority that they are all different aspects of billy campbell...so it's all the same thing, anyway
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:35 pm

Damn, busted by the thread drift police...again! I'm sorry officer, it was all Mattal's fault, he made me comment. It won't happen again. :oops:
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:24 pm

what blinkin' idiot gave jim a badge :YMTONGUE:

....jus' kiddin, Q ^:)^

...thread drift police ?? :lol:

what a slee knapper !!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions