Macca reveals what he sees at his nadir

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Macca reveals what he sees at his nadir

Postby garrystanton » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:21 am

Guys

Pipes of Peace, in my humble opinion, is facile and, in places, just plain horrible.
'Average Person' has to be one of the worst things Paul has ever conceived, let alone recorded.
There are nice things on the album (there always is- its his pure talent that mitigates), but all in all its
pretty rank rotten. To me POP is the nadir, as well as some of those mid-eighties things he did.

I do, though love the magnificent Once upon a Long Ago and No More Lonely Nights, and PTP
is, though inconsistent, more worthy of the man's oeuvre- Footprints and Stranglehold are pretty good.

Ram is numero uno, for me.
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby mr h atom » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:42 pm

welcome to the jungle, garry !

i have to agree about PTP being in/near the low spot..or, at least, tied with OTG and WATSOS...

still, can't say i can agree about AP: it's always been one i quite liked and, for me, one of the few bright spots...

as the esteemed M will oft point out, that sort of ...gentlemens disagreement will occur quite frequently...sometimes with flair and panache..and a few other uncouth words i've yet to discover...but will...and then, watch out, i'll use them !!

watch out for those other heathens, tho...they're kinda snotty..in a nice sort of way :wink:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:57 pm

According to jungledrums spring of 2014 will see remastered versions of Venus and Mars/WATSOS and Tug of war/Pipes of Peace. The same sources glam that Giles Martin(who has done such à brilliant work with New) is workin on the later two albums. In his fathers footprints. Acordongly there are some very good unreleased songs from these sessions.
Of course PoP was disapointin coming after the grand Tug of war
most of it actually from the same session. In hindsight It really is à very wellcrafted albumThink the deluxeeditions here can be swell.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions