A NEW song thread

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: A NEW song thread

Postby amsterdam » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Strange, I got my album copy since Friday morning through (regular) I-Tunes? You still don't have it?

I think it is a very original album with some astonishing songs. Very very McCartney-ish, and better than the live versions I saw on youtube. A nice pallet of different styles and moods. Also nice contributions from his band. And no filler! The "hidden" song gave me the chills.

Don't be deceived by the relative low grading of The Guardian (3 of 5); as a critical fan I think that is a bit on the low side and based on half-baked premises.

Cheers!
amsterdam

Postby JimQ » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:55 pm

little lamb dragonfly wrote:New is an unbelievable album. Each song is overstuffed with melodies, cool instruments, four or five different sections, and each song runs shorter than you want it to. In all of those ways, it's just like a great Beatles album. Who knows what we'll think in give or ten years, but I am comfortable saying that when all is said and done, this album might be every bit as joyful and rewarding and diverse and creative and confident as Ram. Really.

Well said :-BD
JimQ

Postby mhnso » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:45 am

Just listened to Struggle the japanese only bonustrack. This is àavery expiremental track where Lennon, McCartney 2 and Electric argumentsdDance together. Mr H you must try and hear this one knowing your preferences this one is tailormade for you.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:30 am

Thanks to Amazon, who let me download the album this morning before I set off to work because I've ordered the CD from them (which better be on my doormat when I get home or there'll be trouble!)

My car journey to work is roughly 5 songs long, so just had a bit of a listen....

Save Us - Good Macca rocker, the song sounding very ABBA-esque to me, imagine the verses of Lay All Your Love On Me being covered by a rock band and you're not far off. Good strong opening track.

The next 2 songs, Alligator and On My Way To Work, both passed me by a little, not immediate attention grabbers, but I was negotiating a busy dual carriageway and roundabouts at the time!

Queenie Eye - Very interesting, a lot to listen to here, good driving beat, a little reminiscent of I Am The Walrus in places, and then there's the lyric "O-U-T spells out" with its obvious Beatles connotations. This led me to think that maybe that was a line Paul wrote in the Beatles song (I'd always assumed it was John, and maybe it was). What is it about an odd little lyric like "O-U-T spells out" that gets it in to 1 song, never mind 2 !?

Early Days - Wow. Just wow. If any song makes you stop and think "hang on a minute, this guy singing this, that's no ordinary guy, that's Paul McGodDamnMcCartney" then this is it. Musically very reminiscent of the highlights of the Johnny Cash/Rik Rubin collaborations.

And then I arrived at work.... the voyage of discovery continues with another 5 songs when I go home!
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby mhnso » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:41 am

On my way to work
This song once again find Macca back in Liverpool sitting on the upper deckbus on his way to work. His reminiscing includes lookin inside nude magazines and contains this killer line
"On my way to work I bought a magazine, inside a pretty girl liked to water-ski, she came from Chichester to study history, she liked to remove her clothes for the likes of me"
Musically this is fairly safe MaccaterrItory- a very pretty melody arranged with various effects like handclaps and other ditties. The song also include some rather bombastic slideguitar and orhestrariffs returning a few times. Some people thought this was one of the best tracks on the album-me it left a bit cold during my first listenings but just like so much else on this album it grows and this morning I actually woke up with that bleeding melody inside my head. Stylistically it would have fit on the Memory meddle but as a song is far and beyond better than anything on that. Even though some of this meddle is admittedly great.
mhnso
Silver member
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby lobbybobby » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:54 am

On my way to work

What M said exactly.

I've listened to the album 4 times straight through. This is the one that's sticks in my head.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:55 am

whoa, whoa, whoa...far and beyond better than both "Vintage Clothes" (which is practically a Paul Beatles song) and "That Was Me?"

Those are in that medley.

NO.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:26 am

Appreciate
This is one of the more experimental tracks on the album and one I think will divide the listeners. Already seen some people attacking it like "Macca goin hiphop". On the other hand many rewiews and comments really seem to like this one. Personally I think it s a monster track. Pure musical genius all the way. Hip hop it aint but the rhythm s are kind of modern. Think Beatles psychedelia a la Revolver in a modern setting. I would call it a rather heavy, experimental rock track. There are tape and guitarloops straight out of the Beatles bag of tricks, all kind of different sound effects and really great vocal harmonies going and out of this cacophony. Also some repetitive electronic sounds like the Fireman. On top Macca singing in falsetto apart from the "chorus" where he sorts of screams but the voice there is rather drowned in something that sound like lo fi indie-rock. By the end some synth solo and out of nowhere a totally jaw dropping electric slideguitarrsolo.
This might not be everyones cup of tea but for those who rather enjoy the more wild side of Macca this track might be a revelation. I think t s an absolutely stunning piece of music. One of the tracks I wouldn t hesitate to give 10 out of 10.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:07 am

MHNSO, for what it's worth, I think "Appreciate" is STUNNING. It's fantastic. It's NOT hip hop. It's kind of what he was trying to do on PRESS TO PLAY and McCARTNEY II, but couldn't quite pull off (apologies, Mr. H)-- this is one of my favorites right now (granted, I've only heard half the album).
I immediately jotted down, "psychedelic r & b" and "funky Tomorrow Never Knows" while listening to it for the first time. That's the vibe I got from it. It's just great ear candy. I'm not a big r & b fan (esp these days), but this is good stuff.

10 out of 10 might be a tad too high, but I'd give it a 9+!!!!
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:19 am

Are you guys saying that "Appreciate" is the kind of song that would have fitted nicely in to Electric Arguments as a Fireman piece?

Looking forward to hearing it this evening!
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions