A NEW song thread

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: A NEW song thread

Postby garrystanton » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:06 am

I have only heard NEW (the single and Queenie Eye) and so am not (yet) as well-qualified as those folk who have heard the album.
As far as the first single is concerned, I would say I liked it- I didn't love it. The old voice sounds generally good although his falsetto
bits (this applies to QE as well) are markedly inferior to what the man was once capable of. Obviously.
Actually, I think his voice sounds great on QE, although the old vocal chords are straining to be heard during the Floydesque breakdown...

Instrumentally speaking, its Macca meets Brian Wilson with a soupcon of Beatles. Pleasant, not ground-breaking ( a criticism which commonly
accompanies Macca releases: but what do people want? The man to once again reinvent EVERYTHING?!) but pretty nice.

However, what I would say about any McCartney release is that when he is once again on the air, on the forums (fora?) such as here,
and in the music charts, then this is when MUSIC is once again here with us, in an era in which tunes are so...missing!
Perhaps this is one of the reasons we still love and admire him and his work- its so tuneful!

Stating the obvious? Yes- mea culpa :)
So I stood with a knot in my stomach,
And I gazed at that terrible sight
Of two youngsters concealed in a barrel,
Sucking monkberry moon delight.
garrystanton

Postby mhnso » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:10 am

Scared -last song on the album-hidden track
Scared-one of the more arcetypical Maccasongs on the album. Pianodriven loveballad. But as such one of his best since the early seventies with a gorgeous melody and a vocaldelivery that,age aside, is breathtakn. Side by side with My Valentine Macca now has created two -in the best of words-modern standards. That this masterclass in songwriting is a hidden track can only be the artists way of putting light on the songs meaning-the narrator being scared of showing his emotions. Outstanding track and perhaps a future classic. It s also a very honest song.Paul himself mentioned this one and Early days as his favorites on the album. Me-Dont know yet But there is this hard to describe Maccatouch in this song that I like so much.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby JimQ » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm probably not using this thread correctly but I managed to sweet talk the album out of the local record shop and have been listening to it since - it really is good. Defo top 5 solo albums.

My only gripe..... the band really weren't needed. The big guitar hero swishes of Rusty, the in-your-face acoustic strumming of Brian Ray, the perfect drumming and harmonies of Abe - they add SOOOOO much to the live show and make this his greatest touring band ever by a mile. But not on the album. They add a "mainstreaminess" instead of the that isn't needed. Recent Paul albums are about the musings of a genius, and how he builds layers up to make a song epic. The band add a degree of "Freedom" (the song!) that it doesn't need. Alligator and Everybody Out There suffers most from this I think (what are the horrible fret squeaks on the latter in aid of?). The macca-only songs stood out on MAF, and tbh I feel the principally Macca songs do here too (Queenie Eye, Hosanna, Scared, I Can Bet (has a little rusty and wix, but it's a great track and can take it!). His voice isn't too great anymore - let us at least hear his musicianship!

Anyways - back to hero worship.... which song.... mmmmm Hosanna! Near perfection. Wonderful lyrics, beautiful melody, very suitable bassline. Shaky falsetto but it suits it perfectly. Lots of tape loops and things which I feel if I heard the demo I would have vetoed - but I would have been wrong as they do add something. :)
JimQ

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Hey, good point Garry, about critics of Paul's new music always seeming to want him breaking new ground. I too always wonder how exactly is he supposed to radically reinvent everything about pop/rock? What 'new ground' is there to break? I mean anything goes these days, right? That's part of Paul's legacy- that's the ground that was broken in the sixties...
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Every review I've been able to read (with the exception of The Guardian's, which wasn't even that bad, and as Mr H points out, is more an analysis of Paul than it is of the music on the album) has praised this CD. From the 10 tracks I've heard (2 of which are live versions), Paul may not be breaking new ground, but he sure as hell isn't afraid to charge ahead and try different approaches. God bless him.

And that's all I will say for now. I think I'm going to LOVE this album, but, I don't want to get ahead of myself. I've done that in the past with too many of his albums (and other artists I love, as well), and end up having a different view on things a few weeks later. You can't really judge anything until the dust settles.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:20 pm

I d like to get over the top sometimes Right now I think this album might be Maccas best ever,enjoy that feeling and don t worry about tomorrow. But I feel rather confident this album will be à keeper
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby JimQ » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:36 pm

mhnso wrote:I d like to get over the top sometimes Right now I think this album might be Maccas best ever,enjoy that feeling and don t worry about tomorrow. But I feel rather confident this album will be à keeper

I've been having the "this could be his best" sweats too. As I listen I keep thinking... this is as good as Ram.... maybe even Band and the Run..... even most Beatles records..... and then I hit Road and Scared and..... and I think this kinda wins a little! Like yourself it may wear off by tomorrow but... wow! The only album I feel I'm cheating on is CACITB because I'm not too pushed on the band's contribution to this album and CACITB is bursting at the seams with emotion. But NEW is soo varied, punchy and brave.... ^:)^
JimQ

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:50 pm

most Beatles records? Whoa.

That is where I would draw a line.

But, that's just me.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby JimQ » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Mattal1958 wrote:most Beatles records? Whoa.

That is where I would draw a line.

But, that's just me.

Yes, probably - I think I've overlistened to them maybe
JimQ

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:21 pm

New is an unbelievable album. Each song is overstuffed with melodies, cool instruments, four or five different sections, and each song runs shorter than you want it to. In all of those ways, it's just like a great Beatles album. Who knows what we'll think in give or ten years, but I am comfortable saying that when all is said and done, this album might be every bit as joyful and rewarding and diverse and creative and confident as Ram. Really.
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions