A NEW song thread

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

A NEW song thread

Postby mhnso » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:27 am

Here is another new thread. I think it would be fun that we discuss the album in depth but with certain rules. The rules are very simple. Every posting deal with just one song on the new album. Others can answer with their impression of the songs. Don t think we ever done it this way before.
I start with the single NEW aware that one or two(or even npre) people here still haven t heard the album.
NEW
The fist single from New immediately gained many supporters but also a few who were more indifferent to this song. I immediately liked it and still do. In the context of the album New is one of the lighter pop tunes and fit s in nice on an album where every track has a clear identity of it s own.
There are a few major strength s with this song. First of all the melody. Remember seeing Nick Lowe once, slightly p-d in the studio a bit frustrated about not finding the melodies he wanted. He said that he wanted to write songs with melodies that everyone could whistle and hum along to but also said those melodies were the hardest to find. New has a melody like that-after a few listenigs it s rather easy to whist and hum the melody.
Another strength(ould also be a weakness) is the obvious Beatles references in the arrangement. Friends of mine, not really into Mccartney, heard this song on the radio and liked it because they recognized it. Of course that could be a "playing it safe"weakness but those who have heard the rest of the album wouldn t agree on that.
The third strength is the finishing acapella coda. Nothing spectacular but only a musical genius like Macca or others like Brian Wilson would have come up with the idea to end the song that way
All in all think this is a great popsinge that-had it been made 1967 by the Beatles-today would be a timeless classic.
To prove my point I reprise this little video:
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/521fc4 ... -glenn.php
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Re: A NEW song thread

Postby mr h atom » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:47 am

i give in...spot on :salute

IT happened some time this week... i'm not even sure when: the music...i heard it in my head...damn thing won't go away...

it's like a rabid monkey chattering happily away ALL THE FRIKKIN' TIME

score one for the two M's...macca and 'new's resident champeen

i bow to your superior intelligence ^:)^

yes...mea culpa...very good song...nick lowe would be envious, indeed

i'm soo weak...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:02 pm

I like the song, "New," but I am not in love with it. It does have a very Revolver/Pepper/MMT era sound to it-- specifically, "Good Day Sunshine," "Got To Get You Into My Life," "Penny Lane"-- elements of all of those songs in it. And, it is unique, too, not just a rehash of those songs (like, say, a Rutles song). Paul has to be careful walking that line, lest he be accused of becoming Dirk McQuickley.
Thankfully, Paul just takes the elements of those songs and makes something, God forgive me for saying this, NEW. Couldn't resist.

Pity his voice is so weak on the falsetto bits. That's fine when you are singing a quiet, acoustic ballad, but a song like this needs more power there. His lower range, though, is still the old Paul. If he had recorded this song even 15 years ago, it would have been absolutely amazing sounding.

Overall, I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

I think it's going to fall somewhere between the middle and bottom of the album, having heard a few of the other songs and sampled the rest (many times already)...but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think this album-- again from what I've been able to digest so far both listening to and reading about-- is going to rank high in the Paul catalogue.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:20 pm

Alligator - second track on the album. A shuffle with some interesting electronic twists and some great guitar lines, in the end played twin style a la Wings. Very melodic chorus and a dreamy sort of middleeight. Interesting lyrics that are both reflective and funny. At least I find the line about"someone I can give my alligator to" extremely funny. Both thematically and in style this one would not have been out of place on Chaos. It s a grower that I personally find to be a great track. Post the lyrics for good measure

I want someone to come home to
I need somewhere I can sleep
I need a place where I can rest my weary bones
and have a conversation not too deep

Everybody else is busy doing better than me
But I can see why it is
They got someone setting them free
Someone breaking the chains
Someone let me be

I want someone who can save me
When I come home with a zoo
I need somebody who's a sweet communicator
I can give my alligator to

Everybody (?) a whole day talkin' about
And I can see why it is
They got someone breaking them out
Someone finding the key
Someone setting them free

Could you be that person for me?
Would you feel right setting me free?
Could you dare to find my key?

I want someone I can (?)
When I come home to my troops
I need somebody who's to deal it with my sailor (?)
(?)

Everybody else is busy doing better than me
And I can see why it is
They got someone setting them free
Someone breaking the chains
Someone letting them be

Could you be that person for me?
Would you feel right setting me free?
Could you dare to find my key?
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:30 pm

never heard it...must be one of those unreleased tracks...one day.......one day
mr h atom

Postby chris » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:23 pm

the man does have a way of making the new seem familiar, doesn't he?

H...nice to see you come around a bit with the new one...it features all the things you admire in him. I think in context...among the entire album...it will fit in quite nicely.

every time I hear it...I hear something new. it sounds well thought out...and well planned. this song anyway...doesn't seem rushed or half baked.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:58 pm

can't comment on "Alligator" as I've only heard the short sample of it (which I like).
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:26 pm

i like alligator..it tastes just like chicken :-D
mr h atom

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:07 pm

I've not heard Alligator, nor have I listened to any samples. Regarding "New" though, I think it's a wonderful little song that I found instantly likeable and more likable upon each hearing. I offer Mr.H as evidence of the transforming power of this little song. :-h (I knew you'd come around, H).
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jmonti476 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:16 pm

alligator is on youtube so is I can bet
jmonti476

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions