NEW reviews

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: NEW reviews

Postby james1985 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:48 am

Rolling Stone really isn't cool!

But, I think Time Out Of Mind, Love and Theft, Modern Times as a trilogy deserves every plaudit that comes its way. Time out of Mind is a little overrated, but Love and Theft would be in my top five Bob albums, no questions asked. Together Through Life was actually really poor, but Tempest last year was awesome.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:14 am

as a guy who likes tom waits...i can't say i find the sound of dylans voice all that odd

for some reason, tho...he remains an enigmatc figure...one of a few i've just never got into...like everything i've ever heard from him...liked the stuff i listened too on youtube with the release of 'tempest'

'course...i'm just now (in the last few years) jumping into springsteen...saw him in (was, very luckily, dragged to a) concert years ago and loved it...the only bruce i have are 'the essential...' a live dvd and 'the rising', which i quite like alot; a friend (knowing my tastes) who is a big bruce fan, insists i'm gonna love all his stuff; so far, i'm in agreement, but it's gonna take some time, in amidst all the rest...

always meant to get into more, but, then again, there are about a billion artists who seem intriguing...

so little time...only so much $$

as for simon...he's always been hit or miss, but i generally like his stuff...can't say i've heard anything off the new one, haven't even felt the need to track it down just for a sampling...just think that GL was overrated...it is not bad...just overrated

for the record..i really don't 'listen' to the reviewers of anything..i learned a long time ago, as a siskel & ebert addict...that all reviewers are baically narcistics...who love to hear themselves pontificate: it's all sport and fun...but that's about it

it's always been far more fun to get that review and see how wrong they were than to allow them to sway me...however, all reviewers do have one trick that usually works: they can get me to notice something new or offbeat that i'd never heard of...so, they have the ability, under the right circumstances, build an intigue that wasn't previously there
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:44 am

James1985, I've bought every Simon solo album. Every one of them. Live albums. too. I've REBOUGHT the remastered, bonus track ones that I already had. And this was after I had already had the vinyl ones. I'm a huge fan of Simon's. Yet, I'm continually disappointed.

SO BEAUTIFUL OR SO WHAT has a few good moments. "Getting Ready For Xmas Day" is great. And it can be played year round, not just at Xmas (but that's when I tend to play it). "The Afterlife" is another great one. I also like the instrumental, "Amulet." Other than that, it's just more of Simon stubbornly refusing to come back to his roots-- even just a tad-- as if he's embarrassed by all the Simon & Garfunkel stuff, his GREAT (and best) first solo album, etc. right up to GRACELAND. And, I am maybe a bit overly harsh on GRACELAND, too, but that's when he changed his style radically, which is fine...but he saw how well it was received-- both commercially and critically-- and he literally has REFUSED to change that formula since.

Yes, he did Brazilian music next, not West African, and yes he did a Broadway soundtrack album (that has a few good tunes on it, btw), but what he's done is purposely stayed away from his musical strengths. His lyrics are still great. His voice is still great. But, sorry, the exotic rhythms and textures all sound the same after awhile. It would be as if Paul latched on to his great song, "Mamunia," from BOTR, and decided to record album after album after album basically re-writing the same song in the same style over and over and over and over and over again. OK, I exaggerate, but it's to make a larger point.

So, that's my 37 cents worth on that.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:10 pm

dang, but you're good...i can see that, even on 'songs from the capeman'...it's like he's trying to always submerse himself in something...'new' but never really getting the feel of what it is and never really co-opting it for the better: it's more like...using it, to no real, long lasting effect...hmmmm

as a contemporary, i can only compare it to, say, peter garbiel...or maybe david byrne, both who somehow (most times) 'gets' the rhythm of the heat and comes out the other side with something hugely influenced, yet specifically still THEM
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks, Mr. H.

Sometimes less is more.

Or more of EVERYTHING is even better.

Simon has been in a GRACELAND rut for over 25 years now.

The thing that I love about McCartney, and which I love about the Beatles, is, they NEVER repeated themselves. Well, Paul has a couple of times, but you can be SURE-- whether you like it or not-- every album will not only have a different feel than the previous one, all the songs on it will NOT sound similar.

My favorite Beatles album, as it is for many, is the WHITE ALBUM. So many styles, yet it still had a cohesive feel to it. Even the worst McCartney albums tend to follow this rule. With the exception of, say, RUN DEVIL RUN, or last year's KISSES ON THE BOTTOM, where there is an intentional thematic feel to them.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:42 pm

:-BD

now, look into my eyes @-) look deep into my eyes, mattal @-) your'e getting sleepy-sleepy I-) you're getting very, very sleepy :-$

now..repeat after me... PRESS TO PLAY IS THE GREATEST ALBUM EVER..PRESS TO PAY IS THE GREATEST ALBUM EVER

=P~ =))

there ya go...you're aces in my book, kid :salute
mr h atom

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:46 pm

it would take a LOT of hypnotizing to get me to sign on with that! lol

Although I DO love the very first song, "Stranglehold."

(oh, and thanks!)
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby bravefan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:16 pm

Matta, agree with so much of what you say. Spot on with Dylan. And it is an industry catering to the youth.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mattal1958 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:03 pm

thanks, Bravefan.

Problem with me is, I am known to change my mind from time to time.

I happen to LOVE Dylan, and have MOST of his albums (esp the early years), but I'm not a Dylan fanatic, as I am with the Beatles and McCartney (and Lennon and Harrison). I actually like a couple of things from the last 15 years or so...but the most recent CD, with the Lennon tribute on it, I found hard to listen to even the samples of.

Then again, Dylan, probably more than any artist, would be the worst person to judge from 30 second (or even 90 second, as I-Tunes does with many songs, now) samples.

But, critically, he's joined that rarified category of "he can do no wrong."

Which, I think, is stupid.
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:40 am

Dylan is solo brilliant maybe the Shakespeare of his time. It s impossible to describe his omportance. But friend Macca is on the same level the Mozart of his time. And he,just like Dylan still makes albums that put much other music in the shadows. There are other giants still alive But those two,perhaps Cohen to,are the ones that still makes New stuff and really take chanses.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions