Expectations for the NEW album

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Expectations for the NEW album

Postby mr h atom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:14 pm

me too...good job, M

too many knock 'todays' music and don't know what the f&^% they're even talking about

not a fan of KW...not a hater, either: too unfamiliar...but i have, a'times, listened to a wee bit o' rap and hip hop...some of it turned out to be good, some bad...

and....blanket statements like that just rolls right over...adele...the black keys...arcade fire...paolo nutini...the civil wars...chris botti...alabama shakes...and loads, loads more

in the immortal words of coldplay (another relatively new group) open up your eyes

there is great 'new' music being made by the ancient ones, too...very few are stuck standing still...and i betcha they'd all bristle at the opinion that all they are doing is treading the same deep water now as they did then..isn't that, specifically, what nearly every word uttered by mccartney and the people around him have been saying about 'new', anyway ??
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby savillerowdie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Listen, I have a 12 year old daughter and I sometimes give her control of the car radio on long drives. I must be getting senile.
I can state unequivocally that an EXTREMELY high % of today's music is absolute shite. It's all I can do to keep from sticking ice picks in my ears. IDK, maybe my standards are too high.
You see, when our parents knocked our music, of course they were wrong, and they eventually realized they were wrong. At least my folks did. They could not deny the excellence because it was undeniable.
Not just the Beatles, but others as well (Beach Boys, Elton John, etc. My mother loved 'Love Her Madly' by The Doors). They couldn't deny the redeeming qualities of much of the music of our generation.
Now that I am the parent, I strain to find redeeming quality in today's auto-tuned vapidity. I will grant you that this is coming from listening to the Jammin'/Zoo/Kiss genre of stations.

Thankfully, there are a few artists out there that give me hope for the present and future. They SHOULD be on top of the charts. I know that the chart metrics have changed over the years, unfortunately, so the best artists, you really kinda have to seek them out when before they used to just come on the radio. I'm talking about Jack White/White Stripes and some brand new artists that most people have not yet heard of like Laura Mvula and The Strypes. We need more acts like that to get the exposure they deserve.

Thank God for the iPod and the Internet that we are not reliant on radio for good music. NOW, GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :-BD

This CRANKY OLD MAN RANT has been brought to you by the good folks at SavilleRowdie.....I feel better now. Thank you! :-C
savillerowdie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:04 pm

mhnso wrote:am sorry don t agree with you guys here. I am not saying that Kayne West is equal to the Beatles but I dare say that he has made some amazing music. I also dare say that saynings like 98 % of the music scene today is shite and everything was better back in the days in my humble opinion is not true. The popular music today sound different today and uses other sorts of technology and instruments. In fact what some people in my generation say about hip hop is the same as our parents used to say about rockn roll and the Beatles . Its just loud music, no melodies etc. I don t follow hip hop but heard a lot through my grown up children and must say....
there is of course lot s of crap but also some real groundbreakin and fantastic stuff within this genre. Actually more that can be found on the rockscene today.

I just don't buy that everything concerning music was so much better before. For ours ears perhaps but every generation must have their own heores and within every genre there will always arrive some true genius. But that s only my opinion

There is a ton of talent out there today. I think part of the problem is that a lot of the production is so similar that it truly sounds like formula. Then we have the run-of-the mill raspy voiced singers that dominate to the point where it is hard to tell who is who. A lot of the writing gets lost in the similarities and it's harder to connect with songs. Sounds cool, not memorable. Then of course there is the vastness of the internet and its affect on the industry. It has gotten so watered down. There were so many distinctive voices and bands when we grew up, we were simply spoiled. No so much nostalgia. My parents were fans of Sinatra who I didn't appreciate while listening to The Beatles, but I listen to him all the time now. He was simply great. I have a really hard time saying that about most artists today. For me Adele is the best today by far. Her songs and her voice stand out and she is the star, not the production
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Postby chris » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:15 pm

I get what you're saying, SavilleRowdie...but perhaps you'd allow me to retort...

All you are really qualified to claim...is that a high percentage of todays music is crap...to you. Right? I don't imagine you are speaking for all of us here, all of our children, their friends, our friends and well...everyone? Because that would be a pretty broad statement covering a fairly wide range of people and tastes. You can hate todays music. I'll give you that. Because it is an opinion and everyone is allowed one. But to state your opinion as fact...even if you believe it with your almost ice pick damaged ears...is a far reach.

To each his own, brother. And I applaud your opinion. But I hope you aren't deciding for me...because...(and this part is fact)...no one...not one other...is more qualified to decide what I like...more accurately than me.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:00 pm

the savvy one would've been quite correct, tho...if only he'd said todays RADIO is crap...yeah...that is so very true...

but, alls ya gotta do is hunt...there's tons of great, new stuff by great new artists...

and one helpful hint; if you let your 12 year old pick what you listen to ? you get what you deserve...sucka !!

:bounce
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:37 am

There are so much great music everywhere in all kind of genres That s it I listen to most all kind of music Of course I have faves but in all kind of genres and from all kind of timeoeriods This morning in My car I listened to the Clash,Sinatra Louis Armstrong,Sade and Emylou Harris Perfect mix for me
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:25 am

A great interwiew with Paul from NME enjoyNME INTERVIEW

Return Of The Macca
Back with 'New', his 49th album, Sir Paul McCartney's passion for playing live and writing new material shows no sign of abating. The 71-year-old legend talks to Matt Wilkinson about his competition with The Rolling Stones, his love of hip-hop, and why he'll never find a collaborator like Lennon.

In my real life, I'm a granddad. I've got eight grandchildren. So I have grown up officially. But in my musical life... I don't have to be a grandad.

On the eve of the release of Sir Paul McCartney's 49th studio album - that's 12 with The Beatles, 23 as Wings or solo, five classical records, three soundtracks, three as The Fireman and three odds and sods - much has been made of the record's perceived intentions. 'New' was recorded with four different, young producers, all of whom made their name post-2000: Mark Ronson, Ethan Johns, Paul Epworth and Giles Martin, son of George, who have all talked about playing Macca the likes of Frank Ocean, Tame Impala and How To Dress Well in the studio. The week before I meet McCartney, I speak to each of them on the phone, asking them what it is he's striving for, half a century after The Beatles released their debut album. They all said the same thing: I don't think Paul wants to grow up.

Yeah! I think that's true really. I could [be a grandad], he says, putting on a quivering, elderly voice. Grandad... grandad... You know what I mean though? Mentally I don't think of myself as being the age that I am. It's kind of shocking, isn't it?

It isn't really, because nothing's changed: in his 1994 tome Revolution In The Head, the late Ian MacDonald wrote, concerning Paul's role in The Beatles, For McCartney, the group was a make-believe world in which he could be forever young. Music gives you a freedom of spirit, Paul says today. And that's what I don't wanna lose. I don't mind growing up, 'cos you'll probably become a little smarter if you're lucky.

Music gives you a freedom of spirit. I don't want to lose itPAUL MCCARTNEY
Paul turns up for today's interview with the aura of a man who's just clocked off from work for the day. A car pulls up and parks outside the cramped cottage kitchen where I'm waiting. Door slams, gravel scrapes, and there's that familiar whistle, the unmistakable Macca chirp, breezing past the window before he lets himself in. This is Paul's splendidly named Hog Hill Mill studio, deep in the Sussex countryside; tacked onto the kitchen is not only a fully operational windmill, but a sprawling recording suite stuffed full of equipment he's amassed over the past 50 years.

But within minutes of saying hello, it's clear that Paul's more interested in what's going on in the kitchen than the studio. So what culinary worldliness does half a century of selling out tours across the globe give you? That the best houmous comes from Panzers deli in north London, apparently.I've tried the Lebanese stuff - it's OK, he says. I've tried it in Greece. But it's not the same, man. I have houmous and Marmite together on these seeded bagels from Panzers. D'you want one?

Photo: Mary McCartney

PRODUCING MACCA
The four studio wizards on working with Paul on 'New'

Mark Ronson When you walk into Paul's studio there's all these pieces...the original Mellotron from 'Strawberry Fields Forever', the Brenell machine that he made the tape loops from 'Revolver'. It's just crazy. It's another level of pressure where you just want every idea to be good because you don't know when they're gonna send a car to take you home. It's mad, because you're standing there recording and you're thinking, 'Right now I'm recording a vocal on probably one of the best songs I've ever contributed to, a song that sounds like it belongs right in the pop canon up there with some of his classic stuff'. You're like, 'I am the guy that's pressing record right now, this is ****in' bizarre!'
Read more from Mark Ronson

Paul Epworth I don't think Paul ever stops working. He has this childish enthusiasm for making music. I think he's determined to stay young. I was interested in sitting him down and playing him Flying Lotus and How To Dress Well records. He's open-minded. My approach in the studio differed from the other guys - I thought it would be fun to just get in a room and see what happened, and in this case I had this real moment where I was sat on the drumkit, with Paul playing bass, thinking, 'What the **** am I doing here?!' Because I'm not a very good drummer! Funnily enough, that track ended up opening the record, 'Save Us'.
Read more from Paul Epworth

Ethan Johns I'd met Paul when I was much, much younger [Ethan's dad is Beatles recording engineer Glyn Johns], and have one memory of a family visit to a farm somewhere, because I got stung by a bee on my foot and I remember Paul being very kind to me during that whole event. I don't think he remembered! He's one of the most musically expressive people I've ever worked with, just from the point of view of darting around the room, trying stuff, making noises. It just flies out of him. His energy when he's in the studio is phenomenally useful - he has the creative energy of a 20-year-old.
Read more from Ethan Johns

Giles Martin When we did 'Everybody Out There', we'd basically done the whole song in six hours, from start to finish. And Paul looked at me at the end and went, 'Wow, that was like Beatles pace!' My dad came in when we were doing the strings for 'On My Way To Work', just to say hi with my mum, which was quite weird. You feel like a bit of an idiot, going 'I shouldn't be here - you should'. He asked me last week, 'Why do you think Paul still does it?' and I went, 'Dad, you should know. It's what he does!' He still can do it - that's the thing.
Read more from Giles Martin

By now you should have heard the title track and lead single from 'New', produced by Mark Ronson after he caught Paul's ear while DJing at his wedding to third wife Nancy Shevell in 2011. The pair first met when Ronson was a boy - his stepfather is Foreigner guitarist Mick Jones - with Paul once rescuing him after he got into difficulty swimming. I don't actually remember it but my mum swears it's true, Ronson says, laughing down the phone. Nevertheless, when the two entered the studio for the first time in January 2013, Ronson says he was overcome with worry.It was so nerve-wracking. On day one, hour two of working with the greatest living songwriter in the history of rock'n'roll, he's like, 'Here's a song, what do you wanna do with it?' I was just thinking, 'I'd better not **** this up.'

What's more revealing is Paul's own level of ambition and, surprisingly, his insecurity. He reckons The Rolling Stones are his competition and that they're back on the road because they want a bit of what he's doing live. He thinks his gigs are better than Beyoncé's. Meanwhile, he frets about his grandchildren spotting him in their history textbooks; uses his new songs to address misconceptions about his role in The Beatles; and says he's too daunted to take his daughter, fashion designer Stella, up on the idea she's had for a collaboration between him and Thom Yorke - just in case Thom doesn't want to work with him.

For now, though, the general consensus on 'New' is that McCartney has passed the test. The Ronson-produced title track is a punchy mix of keyboards, brass and glam guitars, and it feels fresher than anything Paul has released in years. The jaunty 'Alligator' is equally beguiling - he sounds genuinely pissed off in the verses, a rare glimpse past that shiny veneer and into the soul of a man who's dealt with his fair share of turmoil over the years. "I want someone who can bail me/When I get up to my tricks", he snarls. Secret track 'Scared' shows an eerily vulnerable side to him, reminiscent of Johnny Cash in his later years.

'Everybody Out There' is the album's real highlight. Built to appeal to anybody who's ever fallen for Paul's peak-period Wings output ('Jet', 'Band On The Run', 'Live And Let Die'), it starts with a guitar riff straight out of 1965's back pocket and features the McCartney family - who'd stopped by Hog Hill Mill that day - on '70s terrace-chant backing vocals. "The only way I could stop them all running about everywhere was to put them in the studio," says Giles Martin, who produced it. "It's born to be played live," Paul asserts proudly.

Speaking of which, the last gig he went to and really enjoyed was Kanye West and Jay Z's Watch The Throne show at The O2 last year - the moment when, Paul says with a straight face, he finally got rap. I was expecting it to be, 'Oh it's great, it's hip-hop, it's loud...', but I hadn't until then got the urban poetry aspect, he remarks, rather sweetly. Like, Bob Dylan is a poet. And so is Jay Z, and Kanye. But what he's after from new music, he says, is the same thing that's driven him all his life - mood music that does away with formula but still appeals to the masses.

Bob Dylan is a poet and so are Jay Z and Kanye WestPAUL MCCARTNEY
People used to say to The Beatles in America, 'Who writes the words and who writes the music?' And we'd say, 'Both of us!' 'So what's your formula?' We'd go, 'Well if we had one, we'd bottle it but then probably break the bottle and lose the formula.' You know, you don't want a formula. I don't ever wanna find out what I'm doing.

This is what still drives him today. It's why he's calling up Ronson, Epworth et al, why he's going to rap shows and why he's releasing albums like 'New': that constant freedom of spirit. Throughout our hour-long chat, which is punctuated by Paul's thoughts on legacy (Sam Taylor-Wood's 2009 Lennon biopic Nowhere Boy comes in for a kicking), the current crop of music greats, forgetting his own songs, death, and - obviously - The Beatles, the most successful songwriter in the history of modern popular culture seems quite unlike any other 71-year-old I've ever met before.

NME: It's very unusual for someone your age to be going to a Jay Z and Kanye gig.
Paul McCartney: Yes, but I'm in music, you know? And also, if I'm gonna do a tour I like to go and see what other people are doing. I didn't wanna bring my tour out and be amazingly old-fashioned. So if people are going, 'Oh man, Beyoncé... she was killer!', I like to go there and go, 'Yeah, we can do better than this.'

Your '60s contemporaries are on top form too - Bowie, the Stones, Neil Young...
Well, some of them are dead! But no, it's true, I know what you mean.

Is it a competition?
Yeah - they wanna be part of what I'm doing. 'Cos I've been touring quite consistently. But it's what we do, it's the thing we're best at. And we've had a lot of practice and we've got a lot of music to draw from. So, it's really natural that if the Stones are getting on - which they are - they come out.

Did you see them recently?
Yeah. They're a great band. I've always followed the Stones, always been to their concerts and stuff. I saw them at the Barclays Centre in New York after they'd just done The O2. They were good. They were playing well. Keith and Ronnie were playing very well.

And Bowie? He'd been away for so long...
(Interrupts) Mmm. National event.

How can you top his return without disappearing for 10 years?
That's the only way to do it. Or die. And neither of them are very good options. I think, as you know, I'm very happy. I get enough coverage. I get a lot. So I don't really worry about that. What you can do is you can play South America a lot, somewhere a little bit out of sight, and then you come back to Britain and they're like, 'Oh, he hasn't been here for a while.'

There's a lyric on 'New' track 'Early Days' that has a dig at people who stereotype you as the 'soft' Beatle: "Now everybody seems to have their own opinion/Who did this and who did that/But as for me I don't see how they can remember/When they weren't where it was at". Is that a bugbear of yours?
Yeah. It kind of is. It's only a minor thing, it's nothing I obsess about. But it does happen. I mean, The Beatles' story is actually in history classes - my grandkids say, 'You were in a book today, Grandad!' And you go, 'What?! Oh no! Shame of it!' So you kind of like the idea of them getting it right. For me, when people analyse it all I think, well, on the basis of what? They weren't there, they don't know, they didn't sit in the room with me and John and see who did what. They've heard the stories and stuff but the truth is much more subtle. If me and John were sitting down it wouldn't be (adopts an aggressive caricature of Lennon's voice), 'Come on Paul, write a bit of melody... yer ****er.' The film would be like that. (Adopts high-pitched McCartney voice) 'Oh, OK John, how about this: 'La la la...'

It obviously irks you enough to want to set the record straight.
Yeah, I thought it was worth commenting on. I remember being involved with the people who were making The Buddy Holly Story. I was a big fan of his, and The Crickets were talking to me and they said, 'We're not even in it!' You're like, 'What?!' That's what gets you going. And Sam [Taylor-Wood] came up and she showed me her script, and I said, 'Well that never happened!' In Nowhere Boy, two things pissed me off. John was taller than me - which was not true! We were exactly the same height. But to be portrayed as the little guy? Not wonderful. OK, so he [Thomas Brodie-Sangster, who played McCartney in the film] was a good actor, [but] they should have put platforms on him. Whatever! And then, John knocks me down in the movie. That never happened. I mean, don't you think I'd remember? Things never got like that, but it's now going into some kind of history. People are watching. 'In Spite Of All The Danger' [written by McCartney and George Harrison in their pre-Beatles incarnation The Quarrymen, which also included Lennon] - in the film, that song is made as John's yearning for his mother and there's deep psychological significance [drawn] from that. It wasn't that - it was just a song we sat down and wrote. It would be just as much about my yearning for my mother - we both lost our mothers - but in the movie, (adopts dramatic voice) 'It's John, going through this turmoil, and he's writing.' And I said to her, 'That's not true'. We had to decide, 'Look, it's a movie, it's a film, it's not a documentary, it's not a biography. It's a film of something.' John naturally becomes more of a legend because he was killed tragically. And he was great as well. You couldn't become a legend without being great, but in films like that he does suddenly take a lead role that he never took in reality. It was much more even. So that's what that's about: that one line is just about that. It's my little, sort of... seeing as I'm talking about the past, let's cover that in the end verse and stick it to whoever thinks they know more than me. 'Cos they weren't there!

You're asked about the deaths of John and George on a daily basis; it's a subject that's equally morbid and sad. Does it get you down?
If Lennon walked in today I'd say, 'Let's write a song, man!'PAUL MCCARTNEY
It's not a bad thing. In a way it's a good thing, because it keeps them present. John is as much of a presence for me now as he was when he was alive and we weren't living in each other's pockets. So that's a good thing. The terrible thing, obviously, is when you talk about his killing in New York. That's shocking and that's saddening. But you don't normally concentrate on that. You get over that in one sentence, and you go on to say, 'Let me tell you man, what a nutter! He was crazy.' You start finding it kind of joyous. And in that respect, it's quite nice to be reminded of him.

What would you say to him if he walked in today?
Let's write a song, man! (Claps hands) Get your geet out! Come on!

And what would The Beatles sound like if they were aged 20 in 2013?
Oh, that's interesting. I suppose you just have to look back at what we were doing. We were equating it to what was coming in off the American charts - Buddy Holly, rock'n'roll, Elvis and all that, The Everly Brothers. We were mashing Buddy Holly's voice and guitar-playing with The Everly Brothers - we loved the harmonies. Me and John thought we were Don and Phil.

They've got the best harmonies going...
They really have! They were fantastic! To answer your question, I think we'd be looking at what was coming out of the charts. Not so much the Katy Perry stuff, 'cos we wouldn't be able to identify with her - she's a girl and pretty, which we're not really interested in... musically, anyway. So we'd be looking at things like Kings Of Leon, Dylan, Neil Young. I think we'd be doing stuff like that.

So still band-based, rather than electronic?
I think so. It would still be guys playing music. I don't think we'd be sampling too much. I think we'd side with people who play.

Do you find it hard to write songs?
(Semi-offended) Yeah!

Honestly?
Yeah, a bit. Only because I've done so much. You've gotta do something different after having done 5,000 things. How can you be different? I follow clues.

You've written so many songs. Listening to something rare but great like 'Goodbye', which you gave to Mary Hopkin in 1969, I wonder if you ever forget some of your less well-known material even exists?
Yeah, there are [some songs]. There's a huge period in the '70s - I couldn't tell you what was on the albums then.

Seriously?
Yeah! Because it was a bit befuzzled; it was after the end of The Beatles and I was a bit like, 'Oh god, where are we gonna go now?' Trying to get Wings together. There are some tracks there... I've seen tracklistings and I've thought, 'I wonder what that one's like?!'

You're kidding!
No! And then someone will mention it - 'What's that song man, (sings) 'Cheeeeeck...cheeeeck"?' 'Oh, you mean 'Check My Machine?' ['McCartney II'-era B-side]. 'I love that one, man!' So it comes back to you.

Do you treat songwriting as a job, like Nick Cave and Jack White do - wake up, sit down at a desk at 10am and get to work for six hours?
Yeah, and it's a nice thing. If you enjoy it, it's a great thing. Get out the way of everyone, get into a little private moment, and you can work out your thoughts. It's often a therapy, I think.

Is it a solitary process at the start?
Yeah, but that's nice. You know, the rest of my day isn't [solitary]. I'm doing this [interviews], or I'm taking my girl to school, or I did some filming before we came here. So I'm with loads of people. It's actually quite nice to go into a cupboard, or often bathrooms or toilets, which have got good acoustics. So I go in there with a guitar. That's kind of nice. And you just escape into your own little world of thoughts.

I'd say people like Thom Yorke and Damon Albarn are today's McCartney equivalents, tinkering away in the studio every day. Do you ever think about working with them?
Working with Thom or Damon? Yeah, I do actually. Yeah. My daughter Stella is very keen. She's got a project, she keeps saying to me, (puts on nagging voice) 'Ring Thom and just go into the studio and just see what you come out with.'

You have to do it!
(Sighs) Yeah. You know, I'm a bit... I dunno. I just haven't got... I'm a bit, sort of, paranoid to just ring him up. 'Hey Thom, it's Paul here. What do you fancy... what are you doing?! Do you fancy writing something?' Just in case he says, 'Er, actually, I'm busy.'

That seems unlikely...
There were big rumours a couple of years ago about me and Bob Dylan writing together, and I've still got that at the back of my mind. I would like to do it. But I'm spoiled for collaborators, 'cos I had John. And I've gotta be very unrealistic to think I'll find a better collaborator than him.

Back at Abbey Road Studios earlier this year

Chuck Berry is still performing regularly, aged 86. Paul has previously said they could bring him on in a wheelchair and he'd still sing 'Yesterday'. But today he's less sure about that. We're gonna make a little forward roll with this album and tour, he says. And when I come out of that forward roll I'll have a look and see what the scenery is. And if there's a cliff there I might do a backflip. But I'll decide when I come to it. If you ask me the long-range forecast, I see myself doing what I do forever. But, like a footballer, there has to come a physical point where you might not be able to do it.

At present, he's playing longer sets than ever, but he admits he knows there could soon come a time when that has to change. I'm expecting myself to get knackered, but I'm not. So I'm not knocking it. I'm not even gonna think about it. I see people who are younger than me who sit in front of the TV all day watching Jeremy Kyle. It's like, yeah, alright - I'm not really sure that's the life I want! I can think of something better than that! For me, because I like it I just figure I'll continue. If - and touch wood it doesn't happen - I suddenly got ill with something really debilitating, then you'd have to think again. But like I say, I feel very full of energy. He pauses, then emphasises that last point.I am really enjoying it still. I feel good.

Our hour's over. Paul heads downstairs to the studio where his assistant starts up the computer as we say our goodbyes. What's he working on for the rest of the afternoon? Just messing around on Cubase, man - I love it! comes the excitable reply, Paul clasping his hands together and shooting me a wink. I'm lucky, he adds, I've not got a job in a hog factory.​
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby JimQ » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:34 am

I think that in the last 10 years the bands of fairly talentless but extremely attractive girls/boys has really fallen out of favour, replaced by extremely talented singer songwriters. Young singers such as Agnes Obel (a gifted pianist) and the harpist Joanna Newsom have really made waves with their amazing semi classical semi mainstream work - I don't think they'd get a look in some years ago. Even Adele and Florence and the Machine are extraordinary talents. Maybe its all the hipsters around :) , but talent is definitely more respected now (on this side of the atlantic anyway!)
JimQ

Postby savillerowdie » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:40 am

Chris & Mr. H - This is most definitely my opinion and I do not deem to speak for others. Sorry if that impression comes across, I'm just somewhat overly opinionated.....or so my wife & kids tell me. :-D

I'm always looking for new and undiscovered music, always trying to expand my musical horizons. But for MY tastes, there is preciously little, relatively speaking to the past, that is worth the listen today.

Most of the music I am discovering these days is great stuff that I somehow missed in my youth. People like Gram Parsons, a lot of the 70's punk-ish artists, like Television, The Stranglers, New York Dolls, etc.

For new stuff today, I find a great resource is shows like Later...with Jools Holland. That is where I found the likes of great contemporary artists like Charles Bradley, The Strypes and Laura Mvula.

If anyone here can suggest other contemporary artists to check out, I'm appreciative of any recommendations of good stuff I may be missing out on. Stuff with real instruments and good writing.
savillerowdie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:36 am

Savy...I know it's just your opinion. I was mostly just being a booger.

Try Tedeschi Trucks Band new release...Made Up Mind. It features maybe the greatest living guitarist and a singer whose vocal range is more amazing than just about everyone. Blues, southern rock, funk, memphis soul, bayou and gospel all at the same time. You'll thank me for this
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions