Macca reveals what he sees at his nadir

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Macca reveals what he sees at his nadir

Postby Mattal1958 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Aside from RAM and BAND ON THE RUN, the 70's were pretty much a bad period for Paul, IMHO. The 80's, at least, had TUG OF WAR (a GREAT album), and what would become The Russian Album.
I really think Paul's BEST work has come post-Beatles Anthology. I think that experience did something for him. That, and the heartbreaking illness and eventual loss of Linda, seemed to produce the best from him as a writer. FLAMING PIE is a GREAT album. RUN, DEVIL RUN is amazing for what it is-- high energy rock covers with some originals thrown in. DRIVING RAIN wasn't bad, and then CHAOS & CREATION, to me, was brilliant. MEMORY ALMOST FULL was NEARLY as good as CHAOS. ELECTRIC ARGUMENTS has a LOT of excellent work on it. KISSES ON THE BOTTOM is a wonderful listen, and of the two originals on the album, "My Valentine" ranks among his finest compositions. It certainly stands well side by side with all those old standards.
So, I am really looking forward to NEW. I have a feeling we're in for a real treat.
Paul just gets better with age. Maybe his vocal ability is waning, but not his creativity.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:59 pm

Keeping it all friendly-like, Mattal, I couldn't disagree with you more about the seventies. Band on the Run and Ram are both excellent, as are McCartney, Venus and Mars, Wings Over America (a truly great live album) and Back to the Egg. Sprinkled amongst those fine efforts are great singles like Mull of Kintyre (backed with Girl's School), Junior's Farm, Helen Wheels, Hi Hi Hi, Daytime Nightime Suffering and Give Ireland Back to the Irish. And even if you don't care for the entire albums, there are some real gems on Wild Life (title track, Dear Friend, Some People Never Know, Tomorrow), Red Rose Speedway (Big Barn Bed, Single Pigeon, My Love), Speed of Sound (Let 'em In, The Note You Never Wrote, Beware My Love) and London Town ( Café on the Left Bank, Backwards Traveller, Don't Let it bring You Down). That's a lot of great stuff for a 'bad' decade, if you ask me. McCartney redefined himself in the seventies and became a superstar to a new generation based on this music. But if you don't like it, that's ok by me. :-D However, I agree Macca's been more creative since the Beatles Anthologies. It's as if he needed to be reminded of how Beatle Paul approached things.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:17 am

spot on, EF - BRAVISSIMO !! :ymapplause:

...and let's not forget...while Ram is clearly the best album he's ever done...the second best , McCartney 2, also hails from this decade...isn't that right, fido*

* my blind dog...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:05 am

mr h atom wrote:spot on, EF - BRAVISSIMO !! :ymapplause:

...and let's not forget...while Ram is clearly the best album he's ever done...the second best , McCartney 2, also hails from this decade...isn't that right, fido*

* my blind dog...

Mr H However much I like your beloved one I would t place it as Pauls second best - I mean if I was on a desert island and have to make a choice between Temporary secretary and Maybe Im amazed i wouldn t at least chose THAT temporay secretary
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:02 pm

hmmm...intereseting...the ol' 'deserted island' trick...nope...not gonna fall...not gonna crumble...

e'en tho you've been co-opted by the great god Nadir...i feel it is my duty...nay...my every reason for being to be there for you in these times of trouble...to show you a better way...a truer path...

and if i were stuck on a deserted island...i'd rather have a cute girl than any record anytime...

but barring that..or a ball named wilson...i'd take the overall inventiveness of m2 over m1: but, barely...i do luv me some m1 very, very mucho...

gun to head ? M2...easy :salute
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Ecactley that What I meant not bringing that secretary On the Island I need à permanent one
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:06 pm

in all honestly...(yeah I can go on and on about how bad mac 2 is...but truth is...I don't really hate it at all. it isn't in my top half...but it isn't bad. I just like to rub some people with sandpaper on their owies every now and then...)...paul's low point for me was pipes of peace. it wasn't just that most of these songs were left over from the far superior TOW...and it wasn't just that (most) songs were subpar. it was mostly because they seemed saccharine and half hearted. and it seemed like he was on autoplay...not trying to write good lyrics...not bothering to write a good musical hook. it was as if he didn't care. and that sadly...makes me sort of not care.

having said that...not every one of paul's albums are great. we mostly agree on that. but I can find at least some stuff I like on every album he did. maybe even on all songs he's recorded...there is something I like.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:14 pm

agreed...on every point...you, sir, are on a roll

kaiser...cinnamon...hard...hot dog...i'm not sure which...but you sure ain't half-baked no more :salute
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:26 am

Most of us seem to agree about the greatness of Ram That is à good omen for new since both album contains only three letters
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mattal1958 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:41 pm

EF, let me revise a bit.

RAM was a great album.

BAND ON THE RUN was a great album that has taken on an almost mythical Beatles quality-like rep. Sorry. It isn't. It IS a great solo Paul album (I know it says Wings, but come on...it was Paul and Denny and Linda).

MCCARTNEY had some truly fine songs on it: Maybe I'm Amazed (obviously), Every Night, Man We Was Lonely, even Junk. It also had a lot of filler.

WILD LIFE I actually like a lot of. Some People Never Know is a great, under-rated McCartney ballad. Love that song! Tomorrow is really good, but somehow, I just feel it could have been recorded better. I LOVE the energy of Mumbo. Love is Strange is a nice stab at reggae.

RED ROSE SPEEDWAY has some really good songs (see my comments earlier).

AT THE SPEED OF SOUND is just not a good album. The two hit singles might have been popular radio fodder, but that's when top 40 was sinking fast (the early stages of disco taking over). Let Em In was a hit. And that's just not a very good song. Silly Love Songs is a well constructed, clever song, but it's very lightweight. I know people love it. I don't. The rest of that album was just forgettable, or bad. Too democratic, as well. Vocals for everyone in the band. I want Paul McCartney, not Joe English or Jimmy McCulloch or Linda or even Denny Laine singing.

WINGS OVER AMERICA is a great live album. I wasn't including live albums. I didn't know that counted. However, I will say this: I had a bootleg of that tour that a friend and I played over and over and over again (after we had gone to see Paul and the band at Madison Square Garden-- twice!), and the bootleg was much more representative of what kind of hard-edged sound that band had. On Wings Over America, Paul brings his bass WAY WAY UP, and buries the guitars (both Jimmy's and Denny's). Having gone to those shows, and having listened endlessly to the boot, I can tell you that, although WINGS OVER AMERICA was a nice thing to have as a souvenier of the tour, it really didn't reflect what that band sounded like live. They rocked live. WOA sounds a bit anti-septic in comparison.

LONDON TOWN was a letdown. Some fine songs, including the title track. But, I remember hearing Name & Address on WNEW-FM in NY (anyone remember when they were around and the best rock station in the country?) just before the album's release. It was HOT! I mean, it rocked! It literally came out of the speakers of the radio. Really, really hot, rocking sound. Then, I buy the album, and it sounded like a balloon with all the air sucked out of it. It sounded DEAD. The energy was gone. The sound was soft. I don't know what the hell happened. I had read, I think, that Paul regretted putting so much material on vinyl (as far as minutes of music), because it tended to go "soft" or something. I think I know what he meant. That album just sounds DEAD to me. But, with some good songs, among them being Don't Let It Bring You Down.

BACK TO THE EGG had a much better sound, and more energy. Some good stuff on their, but very inconsistent, and all over the place. I LOVE After The Ball/Million Miles. I LOVE Winter Rose/Love Awake. I LOVE Baby's Request. I like bits of Getting Closer, except for the horrible moog fade. Kills the song for me. And, Spin It On had potential...but he got way too cutesy with the production. That could have REALLY sounded hard and punkish (which was the intent, I believe), but it ended up sounding silly, with these frilly sound effects and just it's overall production sound.

Now, you're right about the singles. There were a LOT of good singles. Hi, Hi, Hi is one of my favorite Paul rockers, as is Helen Wheels, and Junior's Farm. I love Girls' School,as well. I like Daytime Nighttime Suffering. I admired him doing Give Ireland Back To The Irish, and I LOVE LIttle Woman Love. I like C Moon. Live And Let Die is a classic! I even like Mary Had A Little Lamb!

I was NOT a fan of Goodnight Tonight, however. Another Day was ok, I guess. But, overall, the singles were excellent.

So, does that clarify things a bit?
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions