Macca reveals what he sees at his nadir

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Macca reveals what he sees at his nadir

Postby efghijiloveyou » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:25 pm

I totally agree with you Mhnso, Venus and Mars is great! There's not a bad song on it; actually a favorite of mine. The only bad thing I can say about it is it really needs a remastering. Still waiting, Macca! The two albums that get the least play from me are Press to Play and London Town. Whenever I give 'em another chance, they never fail to disappoint. Oh, there are some good songs on both and I do like the production on London Town but there is weak material there. And Press to Play also has some good songs, but that 80s production makes them seem brittle and hard on the ears. I do quite like "Footprints" though. Can you have two nadirs?
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:43 am

I listened to Flowers on the way home yesterday and – although there are loads of great songs on there – it sounds way more dated than Press to Play. There aren't many songs on the record that escape that big 80s snare 'thwack' sound %-(

There's sonically interesting electronic 80s (Press to Play); and there's horrible 'let's try and make an old rock band sound modern with a hair metal snare drum' 80s. Press To Play stands up more as an album these days because it's more of the first. Flowers In the Dirt is a collection of often-great tracks, but it doesn't hang together as a piece of work cos it sounds so dated when you listen through it all at once.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:45 am

I enjoy Flowers in the Dirt more than Press to Play because the song material is better - agree that some of the production is very dated to and some of the songs are not all that good. For me it s a decent album but not a very good one. I am sorry to say that Press to play is one of the very few albums of Macca I don t even find decent. But maybe I wake up one morning and actually likes it.
I am not really much for ranking stuff because i changes all the time. One thing that hasn t changed over the decades is my love of Ram, Mccartney, Band on the Run and WOA. To some extent that affection goes for Red Rose speedway, Wild Life and at the Speed of sound(at least parts of it), Guess it also has to do with that certain period of my life.
Hovever much I like London Town and Back to the egg these albums came during a period of my life when I was more into other music(reggae, punk and soul), Mccartney 2 I actually started to really enjoy a couple of years back and now it s up there among my favorites. Tug of war is an album I have always sort of liked Pipes of peace I think is a bit better than it s reputation
Off the Ground is for me the most uninteresting album from Paul it s so freakin ordinary PTP at least tried to be strange.
Flaming Pie I find a masterpiece of songwriting and one of Pauls best, LUUV Run devil run. Drivnig Rain is an album I feel a bit different towards. Chaos for me is a masterpiece, Memory a very good album with some standout tracks and Electric Arguments have some four songs I enjoy the rest is rarely on my playlist. Kisses on the Bottom I listen to a lot.
So as you can see I actually like most of Maccas stuff - the great thing is that there are so much of it and that it s painted in so many colors
In a way it s fantastic that the man still delivers some interesting stuff after 50 years in the business - not a small achievement
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby JimQ » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:22 pm

I think if he tightened up the lyrics in both PTP and Flowers that they'd be real gems. The "this swan this one" wordplay is awfully clumsy.... and I shudder to think what a "motor of love" is... but overall, if one didn't speak English ;) , and ignoring some gack keyboard intros (I'm looking at you "you want her too") FITD is a good album. Maybe its just me, but a terrible lyric puts me off a song (unless it's deliberately funny - big barn bed is great for example). But it took me a long time to forgive the London Town album for starting off with a policeman with a balloon around his foot....toot toot toot! I agree mhnso, Chaos is a true masterpiece. And the b-sides etc are as good as the album tracks. But I find, since Flaming Pie, his lyrics are rarely embarrassing anymore (and often/mostly wonderful), at worst just maybe uninteresting (1,2,3,4,5 lets go for a drive...). It is amazing - he's 50 years in the business and I can't really think of a song that isn't interesting in some way (and can think of dozens that are the greatest songs ever written - including recent songs!)
JimQ

Postby efghijiloveyou » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:19 pm

Oh, I am so with you, JimQ, about that policeman wearing a balloon on his foot...sheesh, Macca, I know you had the good stuff, but did you have to smoke so much on this album? :oops: Anyway, lyrics don't really bother me until they're bad and London Town and Press to Play have some doozies.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby JimQ » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:32 pm

efghijiloveyou wrote:Oh, I am so with you, JimQ, about that policeman wearing a balloon on his foot...sheesh, Macca, I know you had the good stuff, but did you have to smoke so much on this album? :oops: Anyway, lyrics don't really bother me until they're bad and London Town and Press to Play have some doozies.

I've just been watching the Put It There documentary and I agree I was a little hard on the album, it had its little disasters but the good stuff is amazing..... Distractions, Put it there, Rough ride, Brave face.... wow :-BD
JimQ

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:47 pm

efghijiloveyou wrote:Oh, I am so with you, JimQ, about that policeman wearing a balloon on his foot...sheesh, Macca, I know you had the good stuff, but did you have to smoke so much on this album? :oops: Anyway, lyrics don't really bother me until they're bad and London Town and Press to Play have some doozies.

:lol: Well London Town did come out in the 70's!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:39 am

That's why RED ROSE SPEEDWAY sounds so lethargic and lacking in energy. It screams for a track like, say, HI, HI, HI or HELEN WHEELS (or more than one of those), but it plods along, slothlike.
Don't get me wrong...some really fine songs on that album: "My Love," "Single Pigeon," and even "Hands Of Love" in the medley. But, that medley is lacking in any real energy. And, why would he include something like "Loup (Ist Indian On The Moon)" on ANY album? Sounds like something that should be a throwaway bonus track on McCartney II.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:51 pm

:-O ...oh no you di'nt !! :evil:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Geez, Mattal, you might as well take away Mr. H's candy cane and seeing eye dog.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions