Macca reveals what he sees at his nadir

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Macca reveals what he sees at his nadir

Postby james1985 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Just read the article: http://imgur.com/a/3JcQa

And actually it's the journalist that describes PTP as a 'nadir', not Macca, so.... :roll:
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:01 pm

same with him choosing singles. he just seems so bad at it. although I am rather fond of this new one.

I don't dislike V&M as much as james...although I see his point. it is uneven. there are some great songs on it...and some poor ones.

and while i'm not the biggest fan of London town...I like it more than WATPOS.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:06 pm

...with the possible, slim exception that, for some odd reason, i've always been partial to V&M's abracadabra...

spot on J :salute

:? ...big c ??

wings at the p.... of sound ?

ponce ?
piss ?
puke ??
perambulation ?

:-D
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:32 am

The wonderful thing is that we all like different things-that s the way it should be. Believe me I have really tried with Press to play but it just doesn t work for me. Venus and Mars was something of a disapointment following BOTR but now I like that album a lot even more the versions delivered on WOA. His reading of Call me back again in Rockshow is nothing but awesome.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby JimQ » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:22 am

I know someone is going to come along and cry that we're not real fans etc. but I've found this one of the most interesting threads I've read. It's only true fans who know his work well enough to be able to discuss it intelligently. We all love his work - i.e. I really don't like red rose speedway as I find the medley a bit cringey... I still listen to it more than any album I like by any other artist! I like the production of PTP a lot. I'd like to rewrite the lyrics in places "talka more talka, chata more chata..." Ears twitch like a dog breaking eggs in a dish"... I still like the vibe of it a lot. It's very confident - probably his last brazenly confident album. Stranglehold is a great rocker, and I think pretty little head is wonderfully strange..! I put it up there with FITD. He did say he didn't like PTP on Parkinson on British TV a few years ago, saying something like "there were some bad ones in the 80s.... I don't know what I was smoking during that one"
JimQ

Postby mhnso » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:42 am

Yeah it s a great thing to share experiences and other stuff without arguing whose wrong or right. Most of the time I know Im right anyway :-D
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:02 am

that's true, M ! you are !! ^:)^

but, then again.... when it comes to PTP, just like you initially were with M2...you are sooooooo wrong its pitiful :-D

and, yeah, JQ...Macca's hit the 'PTP-issa-bad' sauce on his own before...so a reporter calling him on it is no surprise...

...just shows the guy has no taste whatsoever :wink:

i used to believe that Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway were the absolute worst of the lot...amongst the worst albums of all times...couldn't stand the thought of having to listen to them..nope, not me

but then...two little voices persuaded (hi, J !...ah, KS :salute )...cajoled...even caressed...and now these we two are, imho, minor gems as far as i'm concerned...

sometimes, it just takes a little thinking outside the box to understand what is actually in that box
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby ComeOnBrotha » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:54 pm

mhnso wrote:The wonderful thing is that we all like different things-that s the way it should be. Believe me I have really tried with Press to play but it just doesn t work for me. Venus and Mars was something of a disapointment following BOTR but now I like that album a lot even more the versions delivered on WOA. His reading of Call me back again in Rockshow is nothing but awesome.

I am with you on P2P. I have tried going back to see if it would grow on me, but the only growth is like a fungus I need to get rid of :lol:

I think he really tried to do something different with P2P, but it seems so forced even to this day. To me it was a failed experiment and all he did was get away from doing what he does best, writing melodic unforgettable songs that connect with the soul. With P2P I give him an "A" for effort, but an "F" on the actual result. His other experiment with M2 was much more listenable, IMHO
Always come to you, when you look for them
And your inspiration long may it last
May it come to you time and time again
ComeOnBrotha

Postby james1985 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Yeah, on Venus and Mars, I just think after the sublime single (LTWTMS), Call Me Back Again and getting a song he could open a tour with, the rest of the album is just puffed away – there's no real effort or focus (not that I don't enjoy Magneto, Answer, etc) and it's exhibit A for the prosecution when he's accused of laziness. Same with London Town, he was just pottering (and POTtering) around on a boat with no artistic drive.

Speed of Sound I find much more focused. And I think the songs hold up stronger to VAM and LT, too, except Cook of the House. It had a purpose: I'm going to make a soft-rock band album that aims for the charts. Maybe he was smoking less because he was on tour. But weed definitely played a part on his motivation as an artist in the mid-70s and what he perceived as 'good enough'. His quality control's got better as he's got older.
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:43 pm

But still Venus and Mars is a great collection of songs can t really think of any that I dislike really I like Love in song à lot
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions