Expectations for the NEW album

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Expectations for the NEW album

Postby mr h atom » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:56 pm

you're right EF....cubs fans need a break... :-D

they may as well adopt the album...it'll be the best hit they've had all year =))
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:54 am

There will always be different opinions concerning the qualities concerning different songs, Maccas current vocalabilites, choice of producers, album cover, album marketing,etc. Here are my wiews concerning the new album. I am not a blind fan but a very longtime admirer of Maccas abilities when it comes to making music. I like some of his styles more than others but the thing that for me makes Macca unique is his knack of writing great melodies.
1. Nice cover
2. Good and interesting choice of producers
3. Pauls vocalabilites are not what they used to be-for me that doesn t mean he sings bad but different from before. That makes the songs sound different than when he was young. Guess we all have to come to terms with the aging process. I for one feel grateful that Paul still bother to make music and enjoy his current voice for what it is not expecting him to sound like on WOA. Actually I think some of his current vocals ,for instance on KOTB are excellent.
4. The songs we have heard so far are for me vintage Macca-can t remember when I last heard three songs in a row from him that to my ears sounds like instant classics. Maybe I felt the same things concerning Chaos but the songs on that album haven t got the "in your face hooks" and energy that these new ones. Great hooks and great melodies in three different musical landscapes. For me expectionlevel since hearing these songs are higher than for a very, very long time.
5. This album might be the one I have been waiting for from Macca more than 30 years. And during that period he has produced some great albums but I always hoped for an outstanding one like Ram or BOTR. This might be the one.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Don t really care about rewiews but there is an interesting and glowing rewiewof the New m in Q magacine The rewiewer actually seems to know something about Maccas music and call this album his best in decades Rating for the album is 4 out of 5 but it actually reads as as give Among the tracks described Quennie eye sounds very interesting with a vocal described as Lennon ca I am the Walrus
As I Said before this album might be something special and à highllight for old Maccafans like me
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:10 pm

...and the expectations are building...

still...i can't see it surpassing Ram or McCartney II...that is near impossible

even Press To Play and Memory Almost Full are pretty big hurdles, in my book...

and let's not forget Flowers In The Dirt...or...Chaos...Tug Of War...

oh...darn...i'll just have to wait and see for myself...

just when is october, anyway...
mr h atom

Postby Awesoman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:23 pm

I gave the New songs another listen. Maybe it's just the live performances but I'm not really impressed with them just yet. The "new" stuff just sounds kind of tuneless. Among the three of them, "New" seems to be the most memorable, although it is rather standard fare for McCartney. "Everybody Out There" isn't bad, but it fails to do anything remarkable. Easily the most forgettable of the three is "Save Us", a rocker in the same vein as "Only Mama Knows" (as well as a song that hasn't aged particularly well).

In any case I'll reserve judgement until I hear the official album. I'm hoping for good things but cautiously hoping this isn't an album where he tries too hard. He's proven to make better albums when he takes the "laid back" approach (Flaming Pie, The Fireman's Electronic Arguments) as opposed to when he's forcing his creative talents to the surface (Off The Ground, Press To Play).
Awesoman

Postby mhnso » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:51 am

This is possible to read

/Users/magnushultin/Desktop/ macca.jpg
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby JimQ » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:53 am

Awesoman wrote:I gave the New He's proven to make better albums when he takes the "laid back" approach (Flaming Pie, The Fireman's Electronic Arguments) as opposed to when he's forcing his creative talents to the surface (Off The Ground, Press To Play).

I like the new songs more than you do, with the exception of new, but I defo agree with the above 100 %. I think that's why his "band" albums are sometimes weaker - I feel he becomes 'macca the star' who has to keep a band under control in order to get the song to sound more like it did in his head. On his own he's more macca the songwriter who tinkers with songs, randomly picks up a flügelhorn or kicks the skirting board for percussion... Let's songs and arrangements develop.

Anyway I'm rambling as I haven't had my coffee - but I'm sure the album versions will win you over awesoman! But I hope the production isn't too overdone (and that the "loudness" issue is less dramatic!). I also hope Everybody out there doesn't start sounding like Freedom!!!
JimQ

Postby mhnso » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:22 am

Some quotes from the Q-rewiew that shows this album also might contains some interesting lyrics
"Quennie eye is a jaw dropper with Mccartney spitting out Lennon-style walrusish rap over pumping beats and swirling sonics digging at modern celebrity culture"wheredogs and bitches hunt for fame" Dreamy acoustic On my way to work with the killer line"She came from Chichester to study history/she had removed her clothes for the likes of me". Real poignancy in Early days -mistyeyed reminiscence of his teenage years"So many times I had to change the pain to laughter/just to keep from getting crazed.
All in all the above is promising for sure
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 am

i believe, JQ & Awes, that the album was recorded as more of a solo effort...than a band one...if that helps

i, too, feel that it is the album that will make or break...however i like the 2 new ones a bit more than new...and that one is...growing...slowly on me

but since i've quite liked all his albums lately...i think it might be alright :-D

can't really see a misstep coming from any of this...no...not at all
mr h atom

Postby JimQ » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:43 pm

mr h atom wrote:i believe, JQ & Awes, that the album was recorded as more of a solo effort...than a band one...if that helps

i, too, feel that it is the album that will make or break...however i like the 2 new ones a bit more than new...and that one is...growing...slowly on me

but since i've quite liked all his albums lately...i think it might be alright :-D

can't really see a misstep coming from any of this...no...not at all

Yay :-) Great news!! I really like the new two as well, and the jimmy kimmel live version of new won me over a little so things are looking bright :-) But H, we're a funny bunch we Press to Play fans :-)
JimQ

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions