Macca reveals what he sees at his nadir

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Macca reveals what he sees at his nadir

Postby mhnso » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:02 am

In the new edition of Mojo there is a great feature about our hero were he talks about all kind of great things. He also reveals what he sees as his nadir as a recording artist. You guessed it already - Press to play. That also happens to be the album of Macca that would describe the same way. But as we all know artists are not the best judges of their material and there are many -well a few people who simple luuuv this album. Regarding this i am on Maccas side. As I said in another posting - I wouldn t trade the great NEW SINGLE for the lot of press to play.
The mojofeature had all kinds of cool features concerning pot smoking during Red rose speedway sessions(thats why producer Glyn Johns quit), his avantgardedays,and much more. Also some previews, mentioning of songs on the NEW album that -sort of-was in the same mood as the others -the hype continues
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Macca reveals what he sees at his nadir

Postby mr h atom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:48 am

what the he!! does he know..he used to think Ram was bad... :-D
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 pm

To be fair mr H in the same feature the producers of the New album told some stuff and mr Epworth described his love for McCartney 2. That might be some comfort
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:37 pm

He has no idea about his own work. No idea.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:01 pm

i'm totally agreed with james: it is very clear that he gets these notions as much from his perception of what some fans think/say...and alot of the media have had to say as anything else...

i'm not defending PTP per se on this..it's just he's said that very same sort of thing before about alot of his work, including and maybe especially Ram...and is almost always as much about what he percieves the reaction to it is...rather than the work itself

this is the guy who did diss for years on Ram...until a chance meeting with fan on a ski slope allowed him to take a moment and have a rethink...

yes..i count PTP as one of the better ones...but i've also claimed (from day one) that Ram is the best of the lot and that M2 is quite spiffy...so that he now disses PTP (or any other actually good album) just means he's tossing off lazy witticisms as far as i'm concerned...

now..if he dissed on a slightly lame effort (pipes of peace) ...i'd think he was on to something (off the ground)

and i'm sure we'd all never be in agreement (wings at the speed of sound) on what that might be (give my regards to broadstreet) :-D
mr h atom

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:02 pm

I prefer all of those albums to PTP, H. I agree with Macca on Press to Play.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:49 pm

My Face Macca albums are
Ram McCartney BOTR Chaos and à few more(Flaming Pie McCartney 2 WOA )
My least favorites are
Press to Play Off the ground
So in this casecI agree with Macca PTP could have been much better if thEy kept first versions of songs )
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:21 am

fact is, he disses on his stuff quite alot...he, also, has been known to diss on his best stuff: he does this, it seems, more because it's the thing to do

until that quiet upswell occurs and he realizes he might've jumped on the wrong bandwagon after all

he usually does this just to make himself look better, like he knows that what some of the people are saying is true (que the song: "it's not true ! every word of it is a lie-lie-lie !")

exactly like he did with both mac2 and ram...which were, again, by some, critically dismissed and he happily went along with it...for years...whistling this exact same song he just did in that interview

it took more highly evolved, intelligent music fans to point out he was wrong and he eventually came around...so his opinion on this sort of thing really means nothing.

look, we all have albums we don't like as much as others...yet, i cannot think of a single album in his solo career that i actively dislike

i even, at times, happily pull out those minor works and play them: they are not by any stretch of the imigination, bad works of art...just, not as good as the rest

i never think to myself 'why the heck did i give that another try ?'...always end up enjoying them to some degree...

there are so very few artists that i can say that about nearly every, if not every, album they've made

so...pardon me if i just can't really get all that excited just because he's found a new dog to kick...'specially when i'm right and you, my dear M, are so very wrong ! :lol:
mr h atom

Postby bravefan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:13 pm

"It's a Tug of War!"
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:59 pm

Yeah, the 'he was crap in the 80s until Flowers and the world tour comeback' is a neat little narrative, but it just doesn't bear up.

Plus, Hugh Padgham gave a less-than-complementary interview for a macca bio a couple of years ago, so that might have something to do with this latest comment. But he's kicked Press before. The irony is that the album actually sounds quite current today.

As far as nadirs go, I'd say an artist's nadir comes when they're clearly not giving a sh*t. And I'd accuse Macca of that three times in his Wings/solo career:
– tossing off a pot-fuelled semi-concept album in Venus and Mars
- recording a load of mostly aimless stuff on a boat in the Virgin Islands
– thinking he had enough decent stuff to make Pipes of Peace an album, rather than two great singles

I enjoy loads on those albums, but it's clear he didn't give two stuffs on them and was massively unfocused. Every other project had a purpose, in my eyes.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions