Paul the vocalist - when did he peak

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Paul the vocalist - when did he peak

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:34 pm

Are you sure you didn't see the Dos Equis guy?
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:40 pm

Why yes...Magnus is...the most interesting man in the world.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:17 am

hey !

is his last name Cum Laude ??

...'cause i think i'm always hearing his name whenever i go to colleges 'n stuff !!

thems some pretty smart critters there :-D
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby joefig66 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:15 am

For me, my favorite Paul vocal period and when I feel he was at his peak was the period between London Towne and Back To The Egg. I liked the roughness of his voice such as on Old Siam Sir and the smoothness on Baby's Request. I also liked for lack of a better word, the "confidence" with which he sang. Let me ask this question to everyone. How much studio "trickery" do you think Paul uses these days for his voice on his albums so that he doesn't sound warbly. Do you think if he "tried" a little harder to not sound as warbly in concert he could do it? I mean, I've listened to old John songs from 70's concerts and he's sounded a little warbly too so I'm wondering how much of it is just because that's how he sings now live. If you listen to an Eagles live CD, i.e, Hotel California, you see that it sounds a lot like the original, even now.
joefig66

Postby JimQ » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:56 am

Slightly controversial but his voice was particularly epic for run devil run. Probably due to the touring break. It's true, the tripping the live fantastic voice was becoming really strained but it recovered eventually.
JimQ

Postby mr h atom » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:17 pm

i'm gonna guess (mostly because it is what i firmly wish to believe), joe-fig, that the only 'studio trickery' he uses would be a very standard multiple takes/multiple edits one..

and since they obviously (see all the liner notes from all the anthology sets) used that sort of editing process even back in the beatle days...and just about everybody has always done it...it is not, in my book, cheating at all

that's my story and i'm stickin' to it
mr h atom

Postby JimQ » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:04 pm

In fairness his live performances couldn't be more live (as his very rare mistakes show) so I somehow trust him trickery-wise - I'm sure there's some, but a lot less than anyone else out there! (I'm discounting Good Evening New York City, which very obviously was autotuned - but hey, it was one (or two?) concerts, you can't expect 100 % for 40 songs. Rockshow was completely redubbed - but I think people were less critical about such things at the time!)
JimQ

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:38 pm

You said "Rockshow was completely redubbed". Where did you hear that? I've heard any overdubbing was minimal.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:52 pm

the rumor i'd heard (way back-in-the-day & popping up at times through the years) was that either part or all of the vocals off WOA album (and, thusly/probably, the rockshow movie) were redubbed AT THAT TIME...i never read/heard/saw anything to either confirm or deny it...

of course...i've heard that very same idea about just about every live album...ever...so who knows: it can't be true for nearly all of them, can it ?

either way, i would suspect that is the rumor to which has been alluded to by friend JQ

...course...i'm not totally sold on the supposed autotuning on NYC...after all, why ???

he has so many specious and faltering vocals out there, including a few off recent studio albums...why do it ?
mr h atom

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:05 am

Yeah, H in regards to the NYC album, I have heard many a Macca fan bemoaning the dirty rotten autotuning on that one. Frankly, I don't notice anything out of the ordinary. :-??
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions