Paul the vocalist - when did he peak

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Paul the vocalist - when did he peak

Postby mhnso » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:53 am

Solomon Burke is aleready on my playlist Borg old and new stuff He was à BIG man for sure
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby stuart7 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:20 pm

Played "New" for my 23-year old daughter. She said it sounded like an old man singing...sad
stuart7

Postby mhnso » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:56 am

Stuart 7 said "played "New" for my 23-year old daughter. She said it sounded like an old man singing...sad"

Wouldn t it be more sad if it sounded like a young man singing. Pauls is 71 and it s only natural you can tell his age. Don t really see anything sad about that
Last edited by mhnso on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:44 pm

I agree. He is an old man, no shame in that. Sheesh! :-??
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:24 pm

i'm fairly sure that what he means is that it is so very noticable that this is not any sort of a young chap singing this bright, youthful song...

couple that with the duality that we, as macca fans, must face the full on reality that the dude is getting so old, it cannot even be lost/fixed/hidden amidst even the best studio trickery..,and haven't many of us mused upon that very point becasue of his uneven live vocals for sometime now...

sure...WE know he's old...but the trick in being the great and powerful Oz is that supposedly not everyone can spot it a mile away...and that is gone
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:49 am

Actually I think that Paus old voice gives a certain resonance to the part 'See there is no guarante you got nothing to lose' That is something the older among us has learnt Life gives no guarante so why don t live it now
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby stuart7 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:34 am

First time I noticed it on a studio recording was "Kisses." There was no trace on MAF, which was five years prior. I'm not criticizing him. I just feel bad that, even for a super human like Paul, the aging process has finally taken over.
stuart7

Postby mhnso » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:30 pm

I don t think superhumans exist and aging even death is natural Question is how Paul can use his more limited and fragile voice to best effekt KOTB is a great vocal album but when PAul try to song his old stuff the same way as before the results might not be all that great Hopefully the songs on NEw are created to fit his current vocalrangeI have no problem with his reading Of NEW
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 pm

I get it, Stuart, you're sorry to see him get old...me too, but look at it this way, he could be sitting on his duff, enjoying his riches, his new marriage, his daughter and grandkids, but that itch to write, sing and play is still overpowering for him and I'm so grateful for that. I find it easy to listen to him now without any regretting his "older" voice. In fact, I'm kinda pleased and surprised by the quality we're still getting. Is his voice not what it once was? Yeah...but neither am I. I still can appreciate our kid for what he continues to bring to my life. That long dark night is coming for all of us, and I'm glad that I can say, that for now, he's still here and so am I.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:00 am

That is so true Pickin on Macca because he sounds old is like pickng on me because I am handsome and smart
We just can t help it
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions