Paul the vocalist - when did he peak

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Paul the vocalist - when did he peak

Postby blmeanie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:46 am

Just heard Say Say Say and he sounded great vocally. Underrated song too.
blmeanie

Postby Crisstti » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:47 am

Mid-late 60's, mid-late 70's, as others have said.

Saw him live in 2011, and maybe it was my exitement lol, but I thought he sounded absolutely fantastic :)
"You've never felt the rain, my friend, until you've felt it running down you back".
Crisstti

Postby gkmacca » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:47 am

Like many of his contemporaries, he tours so much these days his voice is frequently hoarse. Then when he plays the odd high profile one-off gig non fans react as though he can barely sing any more. It's a wild exaggeration. I suspect if he had a long rest and then worked in the studio there'd be a huge improvement in the complexity and colour of his voice. As for when it was at its peak, maybe from Abbey Road through to Ram, before the ciggies took their toll.
gkmacca

Postby mr h atom » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:49 pm

i'd love to agree, GKM...but i can't

alot of die hard, true-blue fans have noticed a discernable drop in voice quality for some time now: the real damage was done after he stopped touring, after the BTTE era...when he just did not utilize/exercise the vocal chords in a manner that needs to be done to keep them in best, 2-3 hour concert-style shape.

there was muy discussion about the sad shape of his voice at the start of the FITD tour...and he's never fully recovered from that laxness. if you don't fully exercise the muscle..it relaxes too much and will never be the same again.

as well...he just took off some bit of time a year or two ago to do just as you've suggested and the return voice, while not bad, is not all that much better.

it is age, not fickle fans, that is his biggest barrier now...and not much is going to change that, i'm afraid
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:49 am

It s obvious that Maccas vocal range is more limited than before, the last couple of years I also hear a hoarseness in the timbre that wasn t there before
Does this mean that he no longer can sing, that his voice is shot
Of course not but he can t sing the same way and possible not all the songs he now sings while touring - at least not the way he sings them now.
On the other hand it s for sure that age and experience can make a song delivery more effective when it comes to timing and phrasing. Personally I think Paul used that to very good effect on KOTB. As long as we don t expect him to sound like his younger self it will be OK. Ad also if he don t try to sound like his younger self
Listen to Aroon Nevilles last album from this spring released on Blue note and produced by Don Was and Keith Richards. The album contains old doowoopsongs and is a proof that a 71 year old man still can sing like an angel.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:26 am

:-D that aroon..he's such a maroon !! :wink:

agreed...hoarser/older/whateverer...the man can still sing...and for all the reasons you mentioned...

it's just, again as you mentioned, a different kind of good

so..in a way...he's still peaking...just in a different fashion :cheers
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:32 am

I can take anything mr H except if someone diss Aroon Neville. He s one of the greatest singers who ever inherited this earth and anyone who claims anything different should be locked in-forced to listen to Maccas Freedom on a loop for 48 hours.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:53 pm

i LUV 'freedom'...it's better than 'new' :-D

..and i am NOT dissing on aaron...not at all...it's not him i'm :wink: -ing impishly at, so sir :-h
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:21 am

Ok you can diss me or my spelling as much as you like as long as you give Aaron Nevilles great cd My true story a listen
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:58 am

luvs me sum neville bros...so no prob there, big M :salute

i may just do so..at least...i'll youtube some of the tracks, if possible...otay ? ^:)^

but then you gotta go listen to some solomon burke...c'mon...y'know you want to :-D
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions