Rumor: New Macca Single Premiers 8/29/13

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Rumor: New Macca Single Premiers 8/29/13

Postby Awesoman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:32 pm

New song is alright. It's very "McCartney". I like the a capella afterthought at the end.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Awesoman

Postby james1985 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:57 pm

It does sound like Doubleback Alley, though :-D

Which is a good thing 8)

May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby boog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:45 pm

mr h atom pretty well summed up my thoughts on New.

love paul, but I hope the rest of the album is much better.
boog
Supporter
Supporter

Postby savillerowdie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:07 pm

I've listened over a dozen times now throughout the day and I wish I could say I like it, but I like it much less now than the first few listens. I don't want to hear it anymore. Extremely forgettable! I last heard it about 4 hours ago and I couldn't remember the tune or any words if my life depended on it. And that breaks my heart because I love Macca and enjoy almost anything he does in some way or other. But this song would be a throwaway on a Ringo album. When hearing it, I still can't get the image out of my mind of Raj and Rerun coming down the street with the basketball like this is the theme song for 'What's Happening?'

I almost wish he wouldn't try to recreate the circa 1967 era sound, he's almost parodying himself, and not in a 'When We Was Fab" good way. It imitates the era, but it REALLY does not sound like the era, if that makes sense. It sounds like artificial 1967. Where is the edge, like on Electric Arguments or Chaos?
I PRAY that this is NOT indicative of the album, but I fear he's surrounded himself this time with YES MEN producers, not necessarily intentionally, who tell him anything he does is brilliant.

I think I will know for certain when I hear 'Hosannah', which I've seen touted as the second coming. If that disappoints then I'll be sad after a five year wait from the very good MAF.
Perhaps I will be surprised like with CACITBY after hearing Fine Line, which I still can't stand, but which is light years better than New.

Sorry for the downer folks, but I was so excited 24 hours ago when I heard the single was coming out today and, for me at least, it was a total letdown. I hope it's just me and y'all like it.
savillerowdie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:50 pm

not a downer, saville R...no truer words, my friend: as i read your piece i was yelping out a 'YES!" or three quite a few times

this thing...and i've listened to it about 6-8 times...is just not sinking in: couldn't come close to humming it...barely recall the words...and that is highly unusual, for me, for a lead-off macca track

the verdict right here and now ?
lightweight and forgetable: in the mass scheme, this is the follow up to MAF...and in that vein...this is OTG to FITD...POP to TOW so far

but, oh savvy-one...that 2nd paragraph ??? :cheers

BRILLIANT !! couldn't have said it better...tho, i would add that he touched upon these themes and sounds and moods brilliantly on MAF, especially in the medley...and this feels like he thought/said: well, that worked out nicely...let's do that again: Vintage Clothes-lite at best...

maybe, as some who've not been...shall we say...overwhelmed by an instantaneous love for this as others have...maybe it'll be a grower...but i stick to my thinking right now that it is at best a middling track with aspirations...nay, pretensions of grandeur

look...the lads been on the bench for a season or two...he's just walked up to the plate...swung hard at a wild pitch and managed to not embarrass himself: this is not a bad song by any stretch of the imagination...it's just not up to snuff for what we've come to expect for quite a while now

but when they said this would remind us of the 70's...i didn't think they'd be talking about poppy-silly (not really all that inventive) love songs...let's hope for an album with far-ranging moods/shows just like they've hinted
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Oh come on you two: it's a perfect summer single. It's exactly what paul was trying to write and he's entitled to write good pop. For my money it's way better than ever present past too (and it's like that song in that both were written to be hits). More to the point, haven't you learned not to judge a macca album by its first single?

Paul's old. Who knows how many more times we have to look forward to a new album. Can we just enjoy these next six weeks, ok?
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:02 am

I'll agree with you Little Lamb, let's not beat the s**t of out our kid just yet. One song is all we've heard and I actually like it. Makes me smile. I think his voice sounds pretty good. Don't know what some folks expected, but I wasn't expecting 28- year -old Paul to be singing this song. After hearing it several times, I still have high hopes for this album.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:39 am

holy crap, dudes and dudettes...i know i ain't beatin' the crap outta our kid...

I NEVER EVEN SAID IT WAS A BAD SONG JUST NOT A GREAT ONE.

and no ones been raggin' on the album..in fact most, including me, have gone out of thier way to point out that he often releases a so-so single (like this 'new' one) and turns in a winner of an album...

JUST BECAUSE WE AIN'T IN LOVE WITH THIS DITTY DOES NOT MEAN WE'RE HATIN EITHER THE MAN NOR THE ALBUM...

this ain't the second coming er nuthin'...nobody said the dude was dead before he hit the ground..no ones tellin' him to hang it up...some of us are simply not drinking the 'new' koolaid...it's just an average, kinda repetative, not very intriguing single...git o'er yer bad selfs, a'ready

still..there's part of me that is glad that a lot of you are in love with this...thing.

shows the kid still has the magic if he can flummox the lot of ya so easily :wink:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:42 am

Of course we all react different and have different opinions. It s all subjective . Glancing through internet it seems that Pauls NEW single mostly gets a very positive response though. In a interview yesterday Paul said that no other song on the NEW album sounded like the single so there is no need for anyone to worry.
I like a lot of Pauls recent singles but personally place this new one above them mainly because the feel I get when listening to it.
I like the melody -very simple but it s pure Macca
I like the arrangement -very Beatles but still modern-makes it more instant recognizable as a Paul song even to the nonbelievers Sort of a mixture between Got to get you into my life, Instant Karma and maybe a bit of my ever present past
I like some of the words mostly the part "We can do what we want we can live as we choose See there's no guarantee we got nothing to lose". Those words sang from the perspective of a 71-yearold man who has seen it all resonates to me. Make the best of yourl life in the moment sort of thing.
I love the coda - te one real touch of musical genius here - when the song stops and the drums kicks in one would expect a more bombastic kind of ending instead here is the sublime vocal - hornparts that makes sure the melody really get stuck in your head.

This is the Mccartney I have loved for so long and frankly i didin t believe him to deliver something this fresh at his age. Gives me very high hopes for the album to be an even more special one than his last superb trilogy of cd:s
Will it be a major hit - No I don t think this kind of music is what is popular among the youngsters these days but I think it s a keeper
Do I think that mr H and others here who has a more reserved opinion about this NEW thing are wrong. Heck no-they are only a bit deaf :-D
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:57 am

A very NEW inrewiew with Macca talkin about his NEW album

http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/2013/08/29/exc ... ls-listen/
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions