::Revolver

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Re: ::Revolver

Postby Girl4Beats » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:04 am

Okay. I came very late into this conversation and only read Page 1 then the last page. Is all this about how great the album REVOLVER is compared to the other Beatles albums? I was introduced to the music of the Beatles in 1964 with Meet the Beatles. Abbey Rd, Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, Revolver all that kind of music can be heard on The White Album. I am not saying one is greater or better than the other. I am just saying that on The White Album one can find all the music in one song or another, on those other albums.

What Beatles albums is the greatest or the best? Well this Beatles fanatic really can't say. The albums between 1964 and 1967 I really like but I also enjoy the music on 1967 to 1970 too. I don't like ALL the songs on those albums but I have my favorites on each. There are about 3-4 songs on each album that I think are truly fantabulous.

Personally, I don't think anyone can say what album is better than others because we all have different musical tastes. ME? Give me Rock and Roll or give me Rock and Roll. I am a rocker from the get go and always will be but I do like me some ballads every now and then too.

NOTE: My house sold in one week, cheap price, leaving for TN to look for houses there Monday July 8 and will be on a whirlwind house hunting expedition for 3 days and hopefully find one, put in a bid and get it. Have to be out of my condo by August 31. Wish me luck because I am STRESSED TO THE MAX.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:10 pm

Hey G4B, good luck. Moving sucks. Truly one of life's most stressful ballbusters.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby edrebber » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:04 am

I think Lennon is overshadowed by McCartney and even Harrison on Revolver. I don't think any of Lennon's songs from Revolver made it on any other Beatles compilation album. I think overall Rubber Soul is a better album, but McCartney and Harrison have even better songs on Revolver.
edrebber

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:48 am

I think what makes Revolver so strong is that Paul, John, and George are so well represented. Each songwriter presents really top notch material. As for none of John's songs from Revolver making it on to a compilation album, last year's Tomorrow Never Knows compilation picks up "And Your Bird Can Sing", She Said, She Said", and of course "Tomorrow Never Knows".
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Generically speaking, I think John songs tended to have an edge, an oddness to them that the other songs lacked. And Paul songs tended to just be a bit more melodic than the others. And George songs seemed to be...structurally different than the others. Revolver was a great example of not only how good a songwriter each of them can be...but how different from each other they were. This is where they started really showing their individuality as a songwriter. There were exceptions, sure...but this is where the masses started to realize there wasn't just one super beatle, but unique characters and ideals.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:19 pm

I agree with Chris.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby EwaldK » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:45 pm

edrebber wrote:I think Lennon is overshadowed by McCartney and even Harrison on Revolver. I don't think any of Lennon's songs from Revolver made it on any other Beatles compilation album. I think overall Rubber Soul is a better album, but McCartney and Harrison have even better songs on Revolver.

Really? with songs like I'm Only Sleeping, She Said, Tomorrow Never Knows these kind of statements become somewhat superfluous IMO.
EwaldK

Postby mr h atom » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:31 am

hmmmm...superfluous ??

look...just for gits 'n shiggles...let's equate the songs to food...say, shrimp...alot of people like shrimp (some don't)...but we'll assume that, for the purposes of a discussion, everybody loves shrimp...but does that mean they always like shrimp no matter how it is cooked ?
nah...sometimes, even tho it may be cooked well...it is the manner in which it is done that does not suit the individual palate; maybe they were excellently deglazed in white wine and garlic...but the consumer just happens to be an old translyvanian dude not quite so hot on garlic...

john was, at that time (for me, from my POV), beginning a quest...spiritual...intellectual...he was cooking with a wide variety of spices and cultural influences...so, to some extent, were all...but john had the zeal of a guy who happens upon a bowl of shrimp and three (or more !) vastly different cookbooks all at the same time...he's all eager fumblings and manic infusions compared to the more contemplative john of just a year or two later

to me, john, at this time, seemed to be seeking to raise the bar often times just to raise the bar...just to jump over the barriers of expectation... throwing spice and elan in wherever it suited him, regardless of how the dish would come out: subtlety is a great trait to wield when tossing in spice - unless you want to eat alone, you still have to serve someones palate as much as your own....mccartney 'got' that...so did harrison.

i would easily argue say those songs you mentioned would fit that bill: they feel experimental, but with wild, untamed direction...at least for me and my musical palate......

for me, john seems/feels more (during this phase) like he is at the beginning of that quest..and with these songs, at that time, imho, it shows...sure, alot of people will see these songs in a different light...me...i find his later stuff...when he'd experienced alot more, learned alot more...wasn't dealing with things right off the top of his head simply because he could...when he'd learned alot more about life, the universe and everything to serve a far more cogent meal

i'd rather listen to 'the white album' or 'plastic ono band' all day then just the john songs off this or RS...

that said, i do not hate or dislike these songs...i, for one, just see them as a very interesting precursor to what was coming...

mccartney and harrison, for me, were a bit more grounded...developed...in tune with what they they wanted and were more adept at developing a more palatable means, within the song structure, to make a more distinctive meal for a wider audience...

johns' stuff has almost always, for me, had a greater ability to be directed (misdirected?) as much by a his ego as by his sheer talent (number 9...number 9...number 9...number 9 (yet...i luv that song!!)). it is only when he puts in a more even sense of checks and balances that all parts come together and make a more full meal of the dish he is serving

mccartneys' ego (and, for that matter, harrisons') is also present, but has almost always seemed to take the place of being an integral part of the bridge he is creating...rather then the bridge itself...

i love the creativity he was achieving...but i've always felt he didn't have quite the control over himself that both mccartney and harrison seemingly so often showed..and, for me at least, it stands out a bit more sharply on this middle stuff than it does on the later stuff

...course...i also freely admitted and adhere to the idea that their best albums were that last few...and that RS and this one are a wee bit over-rated comparably...so what do i know...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:59 pm

Uh...how to deglaze shrimp? :-?? :-D
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:35 pm

yeah...i'm going to have to agree with ef, here...brother h. deglazing shrimp? that is funny. do you even know where the kitchen is? :razz:

it's like if someone said they were going to spin some records...but just stood in one spot with an album in their hand and spun around in circles.

revolver indeed. :lol: :bounce :wink:
chris
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums