::Revolver

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Re: ::Revolver

Postby EddieV » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:52 pm

Revolver for me is slightly better than Rubber Soul. It is more rock than RS. A song like She Said She Said is brilliant!! Actually I hope I can convince the other people in my band to play this!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:20 pm

entertainment weekly sez this is the the single best album of alllllll tiiiiiiimmmmmeeeeee !!

whatchathink ??
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby chris » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:43 pm

it is certainly in the conversation, brother h...this album is all over the place. it's quiet, it rocks, it's experiment-y, it's weird, and it's melodic as hell. if I didn't know any better...i'd say this beatle band might do okay for themselves.

and right now, eddie...I agree with you. i'm currently in a middle era beatle phase. but there are times where the folky, quieter, more acoustic-y rubber soul just floats my boat a bit more. just not today.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:44 pm

I don't have a problem going along with Entertainment Weekly's assessment, H. Revolver really sets the standard for what a great album should be.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:12 pm

:?

well, EF...yeah...i get that...however...so did rubber soul, for all the reasons chris mentioned...and, for that matter, each sucsessive beatle album...

but...does that alone make it the best of all, and thus the best of the best...

i'd argue, ('cause i'm stoopid enough to do that at times) that that might be a better argument for sgt pepper...which really broke the ground all-wide up...was just as all over the place melodic and even more adventuous as all heck...

but, then reality would set in and i'd have to state emphatically that if those are the criteria...then the white album fills them even better...

and what about abbey road ???

...'cause all of those albums are ones i listen to more often (and isn't that a hallmark for greatness...if one listens to it more), and all of them have directed me in various and asundry musical directions than revolver ever did

the only thing revolver ever did was make me want to listen to more beatles...but the flat out adventurousness of the WA, sgt p, and AR made me seek out similar musical thoughts...new musical ideals....

i'm wondering if revolver had a bigger impact on one who thought they knew music before it was released...or of whom revolver might've been ther first, real dip in the pool of beatle music, rather than coming up on it late, as i did...

i'm one of those who started with AR, sgt p, and (especially) the WA...so revolver, to me, is just another good album...not an earth-shattering moment
mr h atom

Postby chris » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:52 pm

I, too, was a little late to the party. I probably didn't discover the band till 1980 or so...not that I'm slow...just younger ( at least back then...I was 13). But I was raised reading, and believing that Sgt Pepper was generally considered their one true masterpiece. Who was I to question anything?...but what my ears told me...still do, in fact...is that...aside from my occasional wish to hear a particular beatle album over another one...Abbey Road had the best collection of songs, sung the best way, and played the best musically.

But I think an argument can be made pretty much anywhere from Rubber Soul thru Abbey Road to IT bring the best album.

Except for MMT..why is that? That album never appears nearly as high as many of the others on any best of list.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:02 pm

my late party started w/TWA(and, still, after all these years, resides therein: it is the best of the best)...and, other than an honest acquiescence to the greatness that is AR..i've never been one to lump the others, inc. the esteemed Sgt P, quite evenly with those two...

hey, even in a neck 'n neck race, there can be a photo finish winner, right ?

oh...i try...especially to placate the frothing masses...who slather and moan when you do not...still...those two ???

whew !!

but that shouldn't diminish the overall greatness of that run of albums...from RS on up, i seem to feel nearly exactly as you do, big c...

ne'er a finer set of consecutive albums-as-works-of-art by anyone, anywhere, anytime

my thinking on MMT ??

diversionary...kinda lazy...tossed-off...kinda sloppy...kinda indulgent; i never get the feeling with MMT that they were shooting for a higher, broader artistic landscape...it feels artsy-for-no-real-reason...

i get the feeling that they did that one for heck of it..it's like as if all the aspirations of the sgt pepper sessions were done just for gits 'n shiggles (rather than an artistic attempt to move the musical ball down the field/in a new direcftion)...you'd get...MMT

and, don't get me wrong...i like MMT..alot...but it is not on the same level as all these others: it is not a game changer...they were coasting with that one, methinks....................'course...they did have alot on their plate...and were, otherwise, achieving seemingly effortless greatness at every turn...

so...MMT ?? it is their vacation album... :-D
mr h atom

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:10 pm

Quite the opposite of "vacation" in a manner of speaking, H. According to Mark Lewisohn's invaluable book "The Beatles Recording Sessions", the last recording done for Pepper was on April 3, 1967 ("Within You Without You"). The first sessions for MMT began on April 19. For a time, the mixing of Pepper overlapped with the recording and mixing of MMT!
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:17 pm

And let's not forget...the first two songs recorded for Sgt Pepper were...penny lane and strawberry fields forever
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:19 pm

let's not act like i despise the wee beastie... :-D

still...it's a wicked little step child that, if anything, should excel, as all its' bretheren do, but doesn't quite...

it just doesn't entrance like the rest, now does it ??

it feels more like... a musing...a pretty bauble, well tended, but lacking a certain...oomph that all around it easily throb ecstatically with...

but, then again...summa y'all're quite often wrong about certain albums :shock: ... =)) ...but i still luvz yas...despite yer shortcomings :salute

X_X

:-h
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums