The best Macca song Paul didn't make?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

The best Macca song Paul didn't make?

Postby mhnso » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:31 am

A lot of songwriters, singers and musicians are obviously influenced by Paul McCartney. Very few singers actually sound like him and very few writers reach the standard Paul reach when he is on top of his game. But there are without copying Paul - sometimes both sound a bit like Paul and occasionally reaches the same level of brilliance-my question here is.
What song or songs in that category would you label as "the best Macca song Paul didl t make. I have a few suggestions but the one i put on top of that list is

I m not in love with 10 cc Written by Graham Goulman and sung by Eric Stewart. In my humble opinion one of the greatest popsongs ever recorded. That goes for the melody, the production(listen to these compressed choirs-recorded 1975 but still sounds totally modern) the lyrics and leadvocals from Eric Stewart that has a voice completely his own but still very similar to Pauls in delivery and melodic phrasing.
It s not a surprise that Paul and Eric Stewart remained(remains) rather close friends for a long time and that Eric coworked on a few Maccva albums and cowrote most of Press to play. Some of the songs they wrote together are brilliant like Yvonne and Don t break the promises.
Well it would be fun to see if anyone else has any suggestions in this odd category of music-"the best Macca song Paul didn t write"
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Re: The best Macca song Paul didn't make?

Postby Girl4Beats » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:23 pm

I like that song. I have the 12" vinyl extended version. But I can't think of any but I would like to know what others think.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby lobbybobby » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:43 pm

The obvious one for me would be "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys. Brilliant lyrics, melody, and instrumentation. It's the song Paul wished he had wrote.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:29 pm

Paul Simon has reached that rarified air on quite a few occasions, for my money. Also Matthew Sweet has some of that as well (although his lyrics aren't as positive as Macca's usually are); great harmonies, infectious melodies.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:41 am

another great topic. nicely done mhnso...yours was a great suggestion. I think quite a few eric stewart songs are mccartneyesque. and I recall even paul himself remarked while he first heard that very song (i'm not in love) even he thought it was paul-ish.

and matthew sweet has essence of macca himself.

I have one. it doesn't only sound like paul...but there is a bit of George martin in the production as well. a german band circa early 90's maybe...everyone I knew who heard this on first listen asked me if it was the new paul song. freiheit is the band. keeping the dream alive is the song.

http://youtu.be/Rt_2_INQm7A
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:17 am

Something by Squeeze or Crowded House. It's Only Natural has got a very bouncy, Macca rocker vibe, Distant Sun could be a McCartney song.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:30 am

Emmet Rhodes - an american singer who made a few album in the seventies had some great song and a very mccarteneyesque way of delivering them. Check for yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CvzawbXLS8
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby tez » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:21 pm

"Seagull" by Bad Company is a song Paul would be be proud to have on his impressive resume. Paul Rodgers amazing voice with Mick Ralphs soothing acoustic makes it a timeless song.
tez

Postby L Dozier » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:24 am

"No Matter What," Badfinger
"Intuition," John Lennon
"Pinky," Elton John

Oh, the best? Probably have to go with "No Matter What."
L Dozier

Postby maccajets » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:18 am

I think Flowers in the Window by Travis is very McCartney-esque
There Never Could Be,
A Better Moment,
Than This One
maccajets

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions