why is Pauls reissueprogramme so sloooow

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: why is Pauls reissueprogramme so sloooow

Postby chris » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:44 pm

And maybe a bottle of Absolut
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:03 am

Sorry don t like absolut vodka but i take a bottle of fine cuban rom -then I am completely ready for my Johnny Cash box.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:10 pm

gosh...but ya'll're a buncha sots !! :-D

but since we're at it......a nice big bottle of Irish Mist :X would suit me jus' fine...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby chris » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Mhnso, after a bottle of Absolut, I'd be convinced you were Johnny Cash.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Now I understand some of the comments made by some of you. The whole lot of you are blotto-ed on alcohol!!! No wonder I like you guys.

But serial folks, are boxed sets really all that much better than the original LP that was issued?
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:46 pm

my guess...they say vinyl is the most pure sound you can get. so a mint condition vinyl album played on a high end turntable...with great speakers (not those plastic flip top all-in-one record players-with speakers I used as I kid) was as good as it ever got. but vinyl albums got scratchy. and when they were converted to cd, the transfer was poor. so they needed to be redone. since no one (practically) uses vinyl anymore...and vinyl albums are so rarely in condition...i'd say this is as good as you're going to get. and cd's don't scratch.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 pm

they do if you play frisbee with a dachsund...
but, serial, folks...

unmistakeably, the original transfers for cds absolutely sucked...kinda like the first wave or three of dvds...

i guarentee..if i had the $$...and if i hadn't already bought, in nearly every instance...an lp (or two, when they died ---scratchily)...a cassette (or two ---when they died, being eaten by the tape machine gremlins)...often an 8-track (ditto the gremlins...toss in the ol' fast-outdated-no-more-can-buy-'em scenario)...the first set of really sucky cds (laz was definatively correct there)...and, quite often, a redo, somehwere in there, i'd be in line buying these things...

but, as it is, i've already sunk my first million into pauls (and others) bank accounts...

and there is just too, too much new music to buy to really care that much about them for too long: i can buy 10-11 albums for the same price as one box set...and often do
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:30 am

Okay, thanks Chris and H. I do appreciate it. I will stick to buying the single albums. Excuse me, single CD's. I will just have to wait for a bit longer before I buy my FIRST boxed set.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Awesoman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:06 am

chris wrote:my guess...they say vinyl is the most pure sound you can get. so a mint condition vinyl album played on a high end turntable...with great speakers (not those plastic flip top all-in-one record players-with speakers I used as I kid) was as good as it ever got. but vinyl albums got scratchy. and when they were converted to cd, the transfer was poor. so they needed to be redone. since no one (practically) uses vinyl anymore...and vinyl albums are so rarely in condition...i'd say this is as good as you're going to get. and cd's don't scratch.

An up and coming alternative to vinyl is high resolution audio. Provides the warmth that vinyl offers along with the acoustics you'd expect from a compact disc. HDTracks.com is a pretty good site to check out; McCartney's last few releases (and re-releases) are there and they do sound better than their 16-bit counterparts. The only problem is that the only real practical way to get the most out of this is by listening through your computer with hopefully a good pair of speakers and preferrably a good DAC connected to them. 24-bit files greater than 48 kHz will not play on most portable music players. Still, I've purchased a few albums from that website and they do sound pretty good. And you never have to worry about them getting scratches!
Awesoman

Postby Girl4Beats » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Awes,

HUH? You lost me after the first line. I am a complete dinosaur when it comes to technology UNLESS someone shows me how to work the durn thing. But thanks. Maybe in another 3 years after I learn the technology I have and don't use, I will try that. Providing it is still around. HAHAHA!!
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions