WAS JOHN'S SOLO CAREER ANY GOOD ?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Re: WAS JOHN'S SOLO CAREER ANY GOOD ?

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:07 am

I like Live Peace in Toronto, even though it's a bit sloppy ( I also like the sloppy version of "Yer Blues" on The Rolling Stones' Rock 'n' Roll Circus). Live in New York City suffers for much the same reason I don't like Sometime in New York City- the Elephant's Memory Band. Heavy-handed, bar band blues if you ask me; not at all worthy of John's music and a very bad fit. I also forgot to mention the singles. Give Peace A Chance is so-so. Cold Turkey is pretty cool, not great however. Instant Karma (We All Shine On) IS great; on the same level as the Beatles. I also really like Power to the People, if only for the great musicianship and production displayed here (especially the sound of the drums and bass), but not a great song. Happy Xmas (War is Over) is probably the best Christmas song by any Beatle (sorry Paul). By the way, did anyone notice the use of parentheses in the titles? Yep, John loved parentheses. :lol:
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Awesoman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 pm

Lennon's solo career, like that of his fellow Beatles, had it's good moments and bad ones. His more political and preachier music may test your patience, but he had a handful of great songs and seemed to be on a creative resurgence at the time of his death. And I have no problem admitting I don't care for "Imagine".
Awesoman

Postby james1985 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:34 pm

In the light of other, erm, discussions in the John section, I listened to the Imagine album for the first time in a while yesterday.

Loved it: title track, crippled, oh my love, gimme, how, how do you sleep and oh yoko are up there with his finest work.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:56 am

I agree. It's a great album. I even like "How Do You Sleep?" But let's keep that one our little secret, ok? :wink:
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Previous

Return to JOHN