Pretty shocking statement ...

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Pretty shocking statement ...

Postby EwaldK » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Of course you know this would one day coming, but still....
"Then he told Frost that he would 'like to retire soon'."

Didn't anyone else notice it?
EwaldK

Re: Pretty shocking statement ...

Postby SgtMacca » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:06 pm

Not surprised at all, the guy is old and his voice is getting worse and worse everyday.
Good Rocking Tonight!
SgtMacca

Postby lobbybobby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:38 pm

He's not allowed. %-(

Seriously, I don't think he has it in him to retire. Some people are just wired to work until they drop dead.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:43 am

sadly, while i'd love to agree...his last run-in w/the voice demons may have made him realize the jig may soon be up...

depending on what his Dr's say...he may very well feel that the last leg of this great tour of music wonderment may, indeed, finally be drawing near

who knows...maybe he's thinking that touring, as he currently does it, is nearing an end

thus morphing into a few odd shows and concentrating on mostly album work

we can only hope

but, LB is square on the mark going by what we know of our lads proclivities...so, who knows...

for all we know, he could be thinking that he's got about 3-5 years left before.... :sad:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Awesoman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:24 am

EwaldK wrote:Of course you know this would one day coming, but still....
"Then he told Frost that he would 'like to retire soon'."

Didn't anyone else notice it?

I haven't seen the interview; did he actually say that or were you basing this off the article about it? I could be wrong, but if the latter is indeed the case, it's possible you might be misinterpreting what was said:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/oct/27/paul-mccartney-yoko-ono-beatles-david-frost?newsfeed=true

It was almost 50 years ago and in black and white that a fresh-faced David Frost interviewed a baby-faced Paul McCartney and asked him what the future held. "I'd like to retire soon, and the way things are going I might be able to," said McCartney.

Five decades on and neither man has retired, both have reached their 70s, been knighted, and now meet again for one of the longest interviews the former Beatle has ever given.

So while Macca may have indeed made such a comment, he made it 50 years ago. :-)
Awesoman

Postby mr h atom » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:52 am

:-O .... :lol:

thanks, awes !! :-BD

who knows what the future holds...but at least the sun still shines... \:d/
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby ahawk66 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:09 pm

I can see him stopping touring, but I'm sure he'll always make music - maybe he won't release it, but he'll always make it. He has a body of work (some of it unreleased) that he could concentrate on re-releasing for quite some time. As much as I'd like him to keep crankin' 'em out, I can see why he wouldn't...
ahawk66

Postby EwaldK » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:25 am

Well, after seeing the interview there is really not him saying something like it and as noted he said the line in a 1964 interview. He just keeps it a bit in the middle what the future might hold. At 70 you'll have to see day by day what is still possible, at least in the interview he looked pretty sharp, especially consdering he and Frost only have a 3 yr age gap.

This is BTW the literal (and might say a bit confusing) text portion on the home page of this site:

Sir David first interviewed a fresh-faced McCartney nearly 50 years ago when The Beatles first broke onto the music scene.
Then he told Frost that he would 'like to retire soon'.
EwaldK

Return to MACCA - all discussions