TEMPEST

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

TEMPEST

Postby james1985 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Sir Bob's best since Love And Theft, I think.

A helluva lot better than TTL in any case.

Roll on Bob!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Re: TEMPEST

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:30 pm

I just picked this up yesterday, James and I agree with you. I'd rather listen a few more times and let it seep in, but it seems to be pretty darn good. My daughter is appalled at his voice, but I like it- he sounds like an old blues man! :-BD
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:27 pm

the esteemable EF sed: he sounds like an old blues man !

couldn't agree more...the voice, for what it is, is just fine by me...the album, so far, is fantastic....couldn't be happier with it

listen, i listen to blues...i listen to tom waits...heck, alot of this stuff reminds me of some of the last stuff G. Harrison did...warren zevon, too...this voice is what it is and that is nothin' but cool ...dylan has found a way to write to fit exactly where his voice is...

people who worry that much about how a voice ages, rather than be happy it is still here serenading us are people who simply haven't aged, maturity-wise, themselves...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby efghijiloveyou » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:48 pm

Right on. His voice is rough around the edges in a good way.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jgkojak » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:55 am

Thoughts on Tempest:
1) Us Paul fans worry about how Paul's voice has aged??? Dylan's voice is put to good use here, but you can tell how close-mic'd and quiet he is singing at times - like its a struggle to get the words out. He still manages to SING, and still manages his famous enunciations, and it works, but I'm not sure he's got another LP in him.

2) Critics are falling all over themselves about how great this album is. Its great, but about 2/3 of a great Dylan album.
Best songs:
Pay In Blood - If the Stones ever do anything new, they'd be smart to cover this.
Dusquene Whistle - Paul could have done this and we wouldn't bat an eye at it. Nice melody, fun song.
Early Roman Kings - Leaves no doubt where Bob Dylan stands regarding 1% (hint: he's not on the same side as the bankers).
Narrow Way - Nice, tight Dylan rocker- reminds me of something from, oh, Highway 61.

Worst songs:
Tempest - the 14 minute ode to the Titanic. The only thing that closely resembles it in Dylan's catalog is Brownsville Girl - which seems similarly written after having seen a movie. Unfortunately, not sure I need Bob's review of Titanic.

Scarlet Town - sounds like a Dylan song, but the rhyme scheme is simple, and the allusions are tired.

Roll On John - Ouch. Let's see how many John song titles I can get in? Fun for us Beatle fans, but beneath Dylan.

Everything else reminds me a little of Empire Burlesque- lots of deliberate movie misquotes and wordplay, its not horrible - kinda like License to Kill off of Infidels - you're glad to hear Bob's take on the subject, but its not particularly Bob at the top of his game.

However, Pay in Blood is easily worth the price of admission - probably Dylan's best song since Time Out of Mind (several contenders on there).
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:09 am

Nice review. I'm feeling some of the same thoughts. You get to Scarlet Town and it's like "woah boy, long way to go..."

But yeah, Pay In Blood is the one.
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:57 pm

This must be a great album, cause the ones you guys don't care for are my favorites!
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:10 am

I think Scarlet Town should've been nixed - too similar to Tin Angel,and not as good.

It's a funny one, and I know it's a derivative blues, but Early Roman Kings might just be my favourite. The lyrics hit home and he seems to be miked EVEN closer to this one -- you can hear the back of his throat.
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Music - Other Artists