Movie of the Moment

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Movie of the Moment

Postby mr h atom » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:53 am

...entirely different animal: think very current socio-political commentary. made even more sad because, with the climate of things these days, the entire scenario is not the least bit far-fetched.

so...anyway, more movies...

the divide - a bunch of people find themselves in a bunker/basement after an apparent nuclear strike. i really wanted to like this...had heard quite a bit about it, and all positive: those people must really have some serious weakness' when it comes to effective, intelligent storytelling. there were little things that kept nagging me...the kind of questions that make too much sense, and so the writers should've thought of it...and changed things, just a bit. still it had its moments in a b movie sort of way: warning, though...not one for the kiddies, not at all.

john carter - ok...i've seen many Tarzans (loved Greystoke)...and knew that many who got involved with this did so with a passion for the original novels...never read any E.R.B., tho... still, having a brother who loves this stuff...i knew what to expect...and yet...i couldn't help thinking through the whole thing..."FLASH ! AH AHHH !! yeah...that's the ticket...this was a big budget remake of the corny '80's movie !! there were moments were it seemed to want to excel...but the weight of 'hollywoodization' just dragged it down to just above average...not much more: enjoyable in a completely popcorn sort of way, but that was about it.

the green hornet - y'know...when i picked it up, i knew it would suck...i just didn't know how bad......now, i do...a waste even at .50 cents..shoulda been called 'big green donkey d...' well, you get the picture...unfortunately

the beaver - mel gibson has taken alot of heat lately...and, if the tab stories are true, deservedly so...but the one thing you can say is he has not lost it when it comes to being able to act. i've always liked mel as an actor..and this performance, while not perfect, just kinda cements the idea that he is a bit underrated in that department.. quirky and more than a bit mad. jodie foster directs a sad tale of depression and its effects on a family. a tale of obsession that just pulls you in and yet never gets maudlin...good, quiet stuff.

the imaginarium of doctor parnassus - totally forgot about this flick ! a terry gilliam movie !! the film heath ledger was making when he died !! the film where-in they got three of his buddies (jude law, johnny depp and colin farrell) to finish playing his role (how does that work ? watch the movie ! it does..and it makes total sense !!)
if you love a really good gilliam movie, you'll probably love this...if you don't 'get' gilliam...than there's no point in even reading this post: this is pure terry gilliam. not his best: but even b-grade TG is better than, say, John Carter ! all in all...close to the level of Time Bandits, a bit better than Baron Munchausen...and well worth the time and effort. in the end, i found it a bit padded..all the seperate parts didn't weave together quite so smoothly, but anything that has tom waits and christopher plummer playing against each other can't be all bad.
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby chris » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:21 pm

the girl with the dragon tattoo...was NOT what i was expecting. and i am so glad for it. great...thinking mystery (not the explosion-y, car chase-y flick i was afraid i'd get). can't wait for the next one(s)...

and...only partially off topic...daniel craig is quite the actor. the best actor of all the bonds, i'd say. and maybe...just maybe...the best bond. yeah. there it is...i said it.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:29 pm

i actually agree, big c...

even tho it is more than likely complete bond heresy

('course...this coming from the guy who...9 times out of 10...will almost always put on a macca record before a beatle one...i'm just sayin')

and...the new trailer ????

OHMYGOSH !!!!!!

battle royale - meh...liked it...that is about it. really expected more since all the geek fandom had been going gaga over it for umpteen years...might make more sense if i was more cogniscent of the in 'n outs of anime (of which, i believe, it is based on). the characterizations just left me wanting. i didn't really care about any of the people, and i really am not into slasher/kill flicks just for the sake of watching people die.

tinker tailor soldier spy - wanted oh so much to love this one, for exactly the reason chris liked 'the girl with...' but, it actually kinda bored me. too, too much arty, european long...lllooooonnnnnnnggggg dramatic pauses. i've seen far better, even on 'masterpiece theatre' :-D some new 'wallender' with branaugh coming up soon

hmmm...i bought my wife a copy of "the girl with..." for her birthday...have to add it to my short list
mr h atom

Postby mr h atom » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:47 pm

more movies...all been around for a bit...

captain america - loved it ! one of the best of its type since raiders of the lost ark, the rocketeer and the highly underrated high road to china ! smart, witty, stylish...the best speilberg movie steve never made !

chronicle - this is that lost footage movie wherein the kids get a little esp-y... liked this one quite a bit...it also felt a bit long in some areas, and too underplayed in others..and it was really stretching the narrative flow (maybe even breaking it at the end) to keep it a lost footage thriller...highly enjoyable, nonetheless

cowboys and aliens - most of this i really liked, tho i had a problem with the aliens...kinda tired of the cgi thing...kinda tired of all the monsters looking the same: no originality there. good b-movie stuff done on an a-level.

the grey - another one of those that i'd heard alot about and was really anticipating a great little flick...and got just a pretty nifty one instead. it didn't help that the antagonists of the film looked fake most of the time and, having spent some time in some frigidly cold places, i'm more than well aware that these guys would not have survived the weather that was shown, never mind the wolves...altogether too predictable.

thor - hated most of the cgi...really got in the way, quite often...but there were times when it lent a transcendent beauty that i wish had been everywhere in this film. much like john carter, too much of the film was b-movie only to slide into class-A sci-fi the next, only to slide back again...uneven, but fun.

blackthorn - a western starring sam shepared as butch cassidy, who the story tells us, lived through the gunfight we all have been told he died in and is now an old man wanting to do nothing more than retire. i liked this one quite a bit...the story does meander often, but it was always interesting, where ever it went. virtually all of it takes place south of the border, and there are sights that we just don't get to se in our westerns up here...a few flashbacks to his early days that exist only to give the older butch a supposedly compelling reason to want to come back, but none of that really does anything to add to the story: in fact, those are the only parts that drag it to a bit of a halt. nice, small character drama
mr h atom

Postby mr h atom » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 pm

hugo - loved it ! now here is a movie where i did not mind the cgi/motion capture ! a few times, especially when there were panoramic scenes, it had that compture feel...but by and large, it was fantastic on every level. even though i knew little of the story, i did find it a bit too predictable...and it bogged down towards the end, but it's heart and spirit kept it flowing relatively well...all around a far better film than i thought it'd be...

but...the adventures of tintin - blew it out of the water !!

what can i say...i must be senile or something but i enjoyed every single frame...every single shot...every single bit of dialogue...every single character...every single plot twist...every single thing about this movie !!

i really was not looking forward to either of these, but some of my movie friends kept hounding me...and boy am i glad !! tintin may very well be the best adventure type movie spielberg has made since 'raiders of the lost ark' i do not kid !

heck...it may be one of the best flat-out, just-for-fun adventure movies anyone has made in, like...forever !! do all the exclamation points clue you in to how much i love this film ?!?!!

this is one of the few films i've seen in a very long time where i simply did not want it to end.

dare i say it ? for me...better than any pixar film so far !!

near perfect movie...and, if i squink me eyes jus' right...second best indiana jones movie ever !!
mr h atom

Postby chris » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:40 pm

mr h atom wrote:dare i say it ? for me...better than any pixar film so far !!

get out...GET OUT! listen pal, i like you...and i respect your opinion...but are you willing to swear you aren't dipping in the hootch? (by the way, i was in a rock band in high school called...ahhh, never mind)

pixar movies are far and away better than any other animated american movies, thus far. obviously, in my opinion. pixar belongs in an elite club that the beatles. spielberg, and very few others belong. that is a bold statement, sir. now...i haven't seen this flick of yours yet. but you are going to force my hand and make me see this film. i look forward to agreeing with you...or not...

contagion ...fabulous. first ofall...everyone...go wash your hands, right now. the ease for a virus to travel from people to people has never been more evident with all of the global tavel. this movie is great. and...gwynith paltrow has the best dead face i've seen in a movie ever.

history channels hatfields and the mccoys...i've seen documentaries. they get the story right. and it is such a shame. if any of you are stubborn enough to hold a grudge...i beg you...make amends. life is very short. and there's no time....
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:19 pm

about pixar ? lordy, big c, but i would normally agree...that is, up until now...

the pixar films, by and large, are total gems...and i still love (most of them) them dearly....

but tintin ???

no...no hootch fer me...

just total movie glee - ..from frame one until the credits roll !!

and tintin ?? it is mercan...it is speilberg directing

try to imagine spielberg directing a most superior pixar effort...and tintin just might be...okay, is better:

IT WILL MAKE YOU FORGET THAT IT IS MOTION-CAPTURE/CGI ALL THE WAY !!
watch it on the big screen tv...with the surroundsound...turn out the lights...gather the fam...and buy me that expensive six-pack as you apologize for ever doubting such as i

this is a-1 stevie s...as in jaws, raiders, ET, jurassic park stuff...i tell no lies, bro

that said...i rather liked contagion...quiet and unassuming, it sneaks up on you with the way it slowly, sadly takes it's toll.
matt damon, too, was quite effective.
mr h atom

Postby chris » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:05 am

listen, brother...you need not ever have to explain your opinion to me. i hold a few of you guys very worthy...and very dear...yourself, james, jg, and magnus come to mind. and you can get me to reconsider my opinion at any time.

my point was... this must have been an exceptional film to say it not only stands with pixar...but may even exceed it.

when i watch a film, i try to watch it without expectations. blank...even.

and full disclosure...i didn't know it was spielberg. so...that alone raises how good i expect it to be.

keep up the great reviews. i'd rather have a movie to look forward to seeing based on your review...than no movie at all.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:21 pm

the pixar films, much (if not exactly) like the aardman films, dance & caper justonthisside of a fine and very artful line wherein there is that heady mix of kids/family and...just to the left...a bit more grown up...maybe even a bit subversive, but totally fun for all !

y'know...the normal, highly intelligent, intuitive stuff that makes pixar one of the better film studios around...

imagine,if you will a film that lies justonthatotherside...maybe, a teensiest bit more adult...a bit more knowing, while still winkingly good fun for the whole family...y'know, just like a really great SS movie !

didn't really know much of anything about the character or what he was about...so i went in blind except for knowing it was a speilberg/peter jackson collaboration and that they, supposedly, loved the source material and were dead set on getting it right...either way, my friend, all this was a complete surprise
mr h atom

Postby mr h atom » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:18 am

red tails - aaaarrrggghh !!! but this movie should've been a smash hit ! this is, supposedly, everything everyone clamors for when they talk about how they don't make 'em like they used to...

this film is near by-the-numbers hollywood filmmaking at its best... cgi used only appropriately: check ! great rousing script full of heroes to root for: check ! all around great acting by a relative group of unknown faces: check !! quality supporting roles by top tier actors: check !

and, yet..it barely got released...it's producer, none other than george lucas...THE GEORGE LUCAS...STAR WARS...INDY JONES...AMERICAN GRAPHITTI... couldn't get studio funding...paid for it himself...couldn't get a studio to release it, had to make a bargain with the devil...released it last winter, when, supposedly, everyone and their brother is looking for that next, great, oscar contender...and, yet...how many of you have even heard of it ??

and, why, say you..???

(ahem..the H goes on his soapbox for a moment, so, please pardon me for what i'm about to say...)

because it is the true and heroic story about black air force pilots in world war 2...about the sheer racism they faced while serving thier country (a country that was supposedly the worlds bastion of freedom) in a time of war...about the racism they had to overcome just to prove they could do anything beyond the most menial job...

and, to this day, a sizable portion of america has no interest in blacks succeeding in much of anything at all...

i'm a 50+ year old, white guy..a registered (r) in a very (r) state...i know from what i speak....

just as too, too many of my brethren have zero interest in allowing our current president any chance of succeeeding simply because he is black...the americans of the past treated those pilots (as they have other minorities) just as bad, if not worse...and no one wants to own up to how bad we were..never mind be reminded, that with every modern day story of driving while black...every time the president is yelled at in a way no white president ever was by members of congress...every news story of a teen hunted down and shot to death just for having the audacity of going down to the 7-11 for a jug of tea and some skittles...how far we have yet to go before we get it right

if you love a true story of regular people overcoming the odds and, in the process, becoming heroes...this is your story

if you can't handle the truth about our own recent history...then you better stay away...just like so much of america did when this was in the theatres...
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to Movies & TV