Macca @ The Olympics 2012

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Macca @ The Olympics 2012

Postby Awesoman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:59 pm

Just finished watching the opening ceremonies. Thought McCartney did a pretty good job. The athletes seemed to be enjoying it.

And on a side note--I didn't think the British could get any more British... :smile:
Awesoman

Re: Macca @ The Olympics 2012

Postby EddieV » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:31 am

The sound was bad!!

Macca did OK, bur his voice isn´t what it used to be
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:58 am

Guys, he is 70 years old. This is what he sounds like. It's not going to get better.

As for tonight's performance, I think it is about as good as we could have hoped for. The first verse was weak and the whole thing sounded a bit shaky if all you've heard recently is the 2009 (auto-tuned, obviously, even though most of you refused to accept that) show from NYC where he sounded like superman. But he sounded better than at the Grammys.

He looked like he was enjoying myself and I am glad I stayed up to watch it. Stop wishing Paul would get younger and enjoy whatever he's still got left before he's gone. Because yes, someday we'll have to deal with that too.
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby EddieV » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:32 am

He really should rest from touring for a while.. Concentrate on other projects, eg. a new album
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:11 am

A marked improvement in his voice compared to the Jubilee show last month, the rest clearly did him good.

Very unfortunate technical error during the first verse, with the broadcast sound becoming out of synch but I doubt Macca even noticed, assuming his monitoring was working OK.

I think that is probably the last time we will see him headline a big "national event" like this, as there's unlikely to be anything of the scale of the Olympics/Jubilee/Live 8 happening in this country for a few years now.

As for anyone criticising a 70 year old man for not sounding like he did in his 20s or 30s, grow up. Do you go round to your elderly parents/grandparents house and have a go at them for being as fit and agile as they used to be? People get old and change, deal with it.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Girl4Beats » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:12 am

Little lamb and oobu,

THANK YOU. Paul hit a glitch in the beginning of Hey Jude and he knew it. I saw him laugh and go from there. He is NOT/NOT going to sound like he did in 1964 or even 1989. Yes he probably should have rested his voice more but I thought he did a great job and I thought his voice sounded fine after that first upset.

Give him a break. Does your voice sound as good and full as it did when you were younger? Of course if you are in your 20's, never mind!

Seems to me there are a handful of forum viewers who need to find fault with Paul and his voice. I tell you what, you wait until you are 70 years old and let me know if your voice doesn't crack. Also, if you are as fit as he is. I know I am not. Of course, I didn't start gettinng fit until 2 years ago so I am a not one to talk but quit your B****ING!!
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:34 am

whoa, there, tygers...i don't think anyone is really beechin' about his voice or the 'end is nigh' there-of...nor his performance fri eve... if you reread what lld and the oob said, they are just facing a reality you all acknowledge: the voice ain't what it used to be.

there's not single regular poster that hasn't been following this latest bad stretch that hasn't shown anything but honest concern...mostly hoping (wishing?) that the 'problem' is just temporary...others fully acknowledging that the once mighty voice might now, with age, be a bit more tamed...

sad, but it is only reality

that is not to say that it is a 'bad' voice...and from my reading of each post, none here have said as such...

i haven't seen/heard the performance yet...so i can't judge, but i gotta believe that, from everything that i have seen and read, he was better this time out than at the jubilee

that bodes well for the idea that whatever is going on right now might be a bit of a temporary glitch...but none of us have ever been under the delusion that the voice now will ever reach the heights of the distant past...we have all wished only that it continue to grow as gracefully old as the man himself..and none here, to the best of my knowledge, have ever said anything less

:shock: ...what the heck was THAT ?? ME ?!? trying to be reasonable ...sane even ?!!!!?

two priests walk into a bar with a midget hooker and.....
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby james1985 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:42 am

In the context of the show, The End worked great. Maybe they should have just done that, Hey Jude didn't really fit somehow.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:22 pm

The End was fine and Hey Jude started off rocky especially with "shades of Hyde Park" but it all went well. I thought he was in good voice. I have heard worse from him. (One concert in 1990 comes to mind). But it seems everyone is saying he is not in good voice. The sound was lousy. I am just getting tired of it and I guess I just jumped bad.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:50 pm

i have to somewhat agree, g4...i've heard many a performance from '89 and '90 that seemed alot more rocky than some of the stuff he's taking just a wee bit of flak over now...and that was 20-odd years ago, right ?

it's all good, tho...it just shows that we all care about the lad

a universe without mccartney singing is scarcely worth contemplating
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions