Paul's future as a live performer

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Paul's future as a live performer

Postby james1985 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:13 pm

First up – 70 is old. I know you're going to look younger and be healthier if you've been a millionaire all your adult life and a veggie for a lot of it, but 70 is sill old. He won't be able to play three hours very much longer.

The voice – I think he overdid himself in Mexico/South America. He has to be careful with it. In 2010 over here he played a couple of nights in a row and the top end goes. One gig every two weeks? I don't know if that's the answer. Play in a lower key? He's never done that (except I Will in 2005).

His bottom end, though, is still rich – check out All My Loving from the other night. So he has options to try something a bit different - something more low-key. But will he break the habit of a lifetime and do something interesting with his live shows? who knows
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Deebhoy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:24 pm

His voice is shot - he should pack it in before it becomes a complete embarrassment.
Deebhoy

Postby mr h atom » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:09 pm

i think the intelligent consensus is that his voice is not shot...hasn't even entered a realm that could be considered embarrasing...but that there certainly are problems arising...seemingly more frequently...

i've noticed that his speaking voice recently seems to have a note that sounds more nasally...possibly as if he might be fighting a minor sickness...this total supposition, if true, might contribute to a more pronounced after effect .

james has hit the nail on the head, as have many others: time to at least rest...possibly re-evaluate at least the scedule if not the type of song and/or how it is sang...

certainly not time to hang it up
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby JimQ » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:15 pm

Unfortunately I completely agree with oobujoobu :-( But I really think a voice coach would fix his problem. His voice is still powerful, it's just me needs to get it under control again. I feel he's breathing wrong - his nose sounds blocked when he sings now - and I think he is screaming from the "wrong place" - I really think its resolvable - well - to an extent. I don't think it's 100 % age - listen to Little Jimmy Scott, Tom jones, and more stomach turningly Engelbert Humperdinck and Cliff Richard- all in excellent voice and older than Paul. I think some training and a touring break will sort it. As I clutch my straws. A break helped before - he was a disaster at Glastonbury but gave some amazing performances in the subsequent tours...... Argh! This is quite sad!
JimQ

Postby flextint » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:34 pm

I would be totally selfish if i said PAUL should keep touring.He shouldn't.However,His career should not end with it.AT 70 yrs i don't think he has lost any of his genius.I still think he has a good enough voice to sing in any song he will produce in the studio.Any weakness he has can easily be covered up in the studio without compromising the quality and the tone of the songs.He can still perform live with a studio audience and put the show online if that is what he would want to do.YES he should stop touring but should he retire?NOT A CHANCE!!
flextint
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:46 pm

I don't think his voice is shot. He's an old guy now, he needs to take longer breaks and modify his setlists to prolong his voice. Bing Crosby's voice was beautiful at 76, and he still did the occasional live performance right up until he died. Choosing the right material for his voice might also make for an interesting show as well, but he does need to cut back...a lot. I would prefer he focused on recording, with a few shows spinkled here and there. Also, his musicianship is still top-notch, maybe he could do more instrumentals...?
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:01 am

really good ideas...well, all but one...hope someone is whispering these in his ear to good effect
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby Awesoman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:21 am

I'm not so sure I agree that Paul has been performing too much lately. He's actually been performing a lot *less*. Back in 2005 he was touring on a near-nightly basis; more recently he's spread his performances out and leaning more towards "one-off" performances that form a "mini-tour" of sorts. I kind of respect the fact that he continues to sing almost all his material in their original keys (even if he now sounds lousy on songs such as "Maybe I'm Amazed"). He's only going to continue to sound "older" whether he tours or not.
Awesoman

Postby EddieV » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:51 am

Maybe play smaller venues! Doesn´t have to be the big stadiums
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:34 am

I'm not sure I understand what the significance is of the venue size? You still sing the same songs in the same way, so it still produces the same strain on the voice whether you are singing in a small theatre or a large stadium!?
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions