Paul's future as a live performer

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Paul's future as a live performer

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:58 pm

I mean this with the greatest respect (as my few previous posts hopefully show what a dedicated fan I am), but I feel the time is right for Paul to bow out from these kind of public live events, like the Queen's Jubilee/Olympics etc., as he is no longer doing himself any favours with the casual viewer, for whom he is unfortunately becoming an easy target to ridicule (as I'm seeing a lot of examples of in social media and amongst my own friends). I feel this is harming his legacy with the overall public (though not with fans and critics so much)

It's clear that over the past 2 or 3 years that there has been a marked downturn in Paul's live vocal abilities, which has even extended to his regular speaking voice. I'm not trying to unfairly criticise, he's 70 in less than 2 weeks time so it's absolutely understandable, especially with his continued regular live performances at pushing 3 hours a time, it's bound to have an effect.

I think Bob Dylan and Elton John are two other examples of legends whose prolific live schedule has taken a toll on their voices, so it's not just Paul. Contrast with Tom Jones last night at Buckingham Palace, now I'm not aware of him having a particularly hectic tour schedule over the last few years, and certainly not of 3 hour shows like Paul would pull off, and it shows as his voice is still in great condition. He'll be 72 in a couple of days!

I'd love to see Paul do more work in the studio, where I believe his changing voice is being used in really interesting ways; Kisses On The Bottom sounds great, he sings them with a great "old man" voice (not intended as a criticism!). He's used that same kind of voice on things like "Growing Up Falling Down" and "The End Of The End" and I love it, it's all part of making up a full life times body of work of the greatest popular musician the world has ever produced. I'd love to hear what a 2022 album with an 80 year old Paul would sound like!

I know there were rumours, never publically, that Paul is planning to retire from live performances when he hits 70. I have to say, for his sake, I'm kind of hoping that's the case. I know he still puts on a great show, and if I went to see him in concert now I'd have a great night, I just really feel that if he's not careful he is going to really screw up his voice and have to live with the consequences for the rest of his life.
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Re: Paul's future as a live performer

Postby lobbybobby » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:30 pm

I agree 100%. I believe he still has great music in him, and will until the day he dies. I would love for him to save his voice for new recordings. There is a vast library of live recordings for all of us to look back on and listen to. I don't think he will ever improve what's already been preserved on tape for all time. I'm a lifelong fan, I've never seen him live, and I would much prefer 3 or 4 (or 10) more albums than to go see him live.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Well . . . . his voice could use a rest but he has been having a few lengthy tours back to back, getting married and all, he voice is bound to sound a little ragged around the edges and cracking in places. But I think that if he rested a bit and kicked back I think he could go on touring as long as the fans want him to. Age notwithstanding, I think he could go a few more years, but YES, YES, YES I would love to hear more studio albums.

I know NOTHING about Tom Jones. I am really not a fan of Elton either. Used to be in his early years.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:22 pm

i'm afraid, at least at the moment, i have to agree with the oob...

the voice is fine for me, i expect it...but the not-so-casual fan...or the critics...they will not understand

and, as so many have said, i would hate to see the possibility of there being a real problem...and his trudging ahead doing real, permanent damage

i dont' want to to make it seem like i, or we, want to bring out the doomsayer brigade...or , worse, go around calling him an embarrasment to all beatle-dom...but this weakness has suddenly been all too often prevelant, stayed around too long for it to be only a mere fluke.

the man should take some serious time off, check with some Dr.s. do whatever they tell him, ...realistically judge whether he can continue on like this (2.5 + hrs of real out 'n out singing in concert) w/o physically impairing himself...or harpooning what should be the last glorious days of an illustrious career.

as so many pointed out a few years back, johnny cash found a way to use his voice rather effectively...but that sort of thing requires a voice not damaged beyond reason: that is not to say that is the point macca has reached...but a realistic worry is beginning to set in
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby jgkojak » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 am

I would say time off would be the best idea for Paul. And he could probably do accoustic/solo piano shows -- just not the screamin Jet-type rock n roll.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:38 am

Friends
There are no such thing as eternal youth. In fact 70 year is a rather old age. I am 55 and actually starts to feel some of the years already
So if Pauls voice sounds a bit thin and ragged it s just s natural thing. Just like many old champs he might have difficulties in leaving the spotlight and of course there is a risqué this can damage his reputation.
Personally I really don t care it s up to Paul and his staff I am sure Paul still has a lot of music in him but to be honest -his legacy is already there and everything that comes from now is a bonus
We all have to accept the fact that -to put it with Pauls old bandMates world -ALL THINGS MUST PASS.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby bravefan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 am

I really hope this is the last year for touring. It's killing his voice and yes as a previous poster stated, it even shows in his speaking voice. Ive said this on here for a while now, to some criticism, it's time to stop the live performances and rest the wonderful voice he has left. Save it for the studio and give us a few more gifts of wonderful music. I'm wondering how much of his voice would return with extended rest to it. Long live Macca!!
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby EddieV » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am

Smaller venues, a break and a new album!! If he continues the way he does his voice will be worse.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Craigerb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:58 am

I recently saw John Sebastian (Lovin' Spoonful) live. His voice has weakened similar to Paul's (they're close in age). Rest would help. But the real culprit--cigarettes.
"And in the end/The love you take/Is equal to/The love you make."
Craigerb
Supporter
Supporter

Postby SgtMacca » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:46 pm

I think he really needs to stop touring.
Good Rocking Tonight!
SgtMacca

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions