How an album can change in peoples mind

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

How an album can change in peoples mind

Postby EddieV » Wed May 25, 2011 12:43 am

I mean when Ram came out it was not well received. But now it is regarded as one of Macca´s best album and a classic. Can´t wait for the reissue of this!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: How an album can change in peoples mind

Postby gjh » Wed May 25, 2011 10:43 am

I bought this album around '78 or so
it is still my favorite solo paul
it just sounds like he was having fun with it and wasn't getting to serious
its nice over the years how its getting the recognition it deserves
gjh

Postby bonovox66 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:31 pm

I know exactly what you mean Eddie. It happens a lot of times, an artist will release something to be panned by critics only to have it become a classic years later. Just look at the movie Blade Runner. It was bashed by critics but is now considered one ofthe greatest sci-fi films of all time.

On a similar note, it is interesting from a fans perspective to go back to an album after a long period and see how your outlook has changed. A few weeks ago I started an artist by artist album "rediscovery". I was amazed to find some albums I disliked and had not listened to in 10+ years now stood out as really enjoyable.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gjh » Thu May 26, 2011 8:26 am

press to play was like this for me
absolutley hated this album when it first came out
but going back to it over time and giving it another chance I started to like it more and more
I remember reading how Mozart was critisized for certain works only to have them turn into masterpieces decades later
I think alot of Pauls not so popular stuff will be appreciated as time goes on..
gjh

Postby ahawk66 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:16 am

I think that's the general perception for "McCartney" now, too. When it came out I think it was ripped for being home-made and underproduced, and now it's lauded for its simplicity of sound and spare production. Some albums just age better than others and are less tied to their times.
ahawk66

Postby mr h atom » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:36 am

quite a few macca albums could easily fall into this category: ram, mac2 , wild life, red rose speedway, press to play.

granted, i've been a staunch believer in ram, mac2 and PTP since they came out...

but i definately fell into the 'meh' category on RRS and WL..and i was competely wrong on those...heck, i'm even warming up a little on WATSOS...

Pipes Of Peace...mmmmmm...well, we'll see: but this gives me hope that maybe one day, i'll wake up and go "wow, that POP wasn't so bad after all !"

sometimes it might be something a simple as the artist being way ahead of the times..i think mac2 falls into that category

sometimes, it's the fans who are not willing to give something a deserved chance, i think ram falls more into that one

PTP is a mix of both

the most interesting part may be, having dismissed some albums (not only mccartney, but others as well) , i considered that i had less to listen to.

...so, that made me search out other artists to fill the void and get over what i thought was the bad taste of a lesser work...so, in a way, it had it's bonus', too , as i would buy more, other music and still have these 'unfound' records later on just sitting there, waiting to be rediscoverd !
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby james1985 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Didn't press to play get quite good reviews when it came out?

May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:50 pm

so...you're saying someone other than me loved it from the beginning ?

i stand corrected, sir :-D
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby vintage61lefty » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:01 pm

mr h atom wrote:so...you're saying someone other than me loved it from the beginning ?

i stand corrected, sir :-D

:lol:
vintage61lefty

Postby jgkojak » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Ram was ahead of its time. It was basically the first indie-pop album - and had it been released in 1991 it would have been at the leading edge of a trend (see REM's Out of Time, etc) - instead, I think it literally blew people's minds.

Also, rock critics aren't always the sharpest tools, and Lennon's direct-in-your-face assault on the senses was easy to understand and categorize - Paul's deeply personal music about 3 legged dogs, smiling away and ramming on was harder to interpret- but no less valid as art.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions