Ram Box Set

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Ram Box Set

Postby DigsY2K » Wed May 23, 2012 4:30 am

Just got it today and it's great although missing a few obvious gems.(Get OnThe Right Thing & Little Lamb Dragonfly) but listen to eat at home/smile away...obviously the show was professionally recorded, why not release it? It would be great for the content and historical value
DigsY2K

Re: Ram Box Set

Postby klausab » Wed May 23, 2012 10:37 am

Funny there are no more comments on the album yet. I received mine on the 16. I think it is called de luxe (without t-shirts). Some of the items in the very thick box, no book this time, are really funny. The book and all the gimmicks are in a box, because Paul wished it to be a kind of rucksack. The time of RAM reminded him of an incident, when a traveller turned up in Scotland who took a record out of his bag. Luckily they put RAM in a box, not in a bag. The reproduction of the sheets with fragments of lyrics and some such things on them is nice, because all the coffee stains, drawings of the children, the qualitiy of the paper ... are reproduced. The rest of the "treats" gives, I think, a bit of an insight in Paul's feelings and memories of the time. There is no real value in the items for the customer, except the book of course. The sound and the extras on the CDs is of the same high standard as in the three rerelases before, the DVD, too, which means 'nice, but with the opporunity of further improvement'.

As I am not a native speaker I always look forward to the lyrics. They seem to be fawlty in 2 or 3 lines, I will have to listen again. At least I was able to get the gist of "Smile Away" now. Never had I thought that the background singing had e real meaning, I always thought it was a kind of "damdada" or "lalala".
klausab

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed May 23, 2012 5:33 pm

Some day I hope to own a box set of one of Macca's albums.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed May 23, 2012 6:43 pm

this is...quite frankly...now my favorite paul solo album. the remaster is note for note perfect. the old cd i had was crap. and i hear things on the new one i never knew were there. from the very beginning, it is great. but when dear boy starts...layers upon layers of vocals...it gets kicked up a notch. this would make brian wilson blush with envy. this is very much a vocal album. more so now than ever. i have faith in the recording industry to get things right. now...if it would only take less than 10 years to get the rest of his catalog redone.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Wed May 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Dear Boy.

There are all sorts of drums/percussive instruments only hinted at in the previous CD releases. And I am reminded when I FIRST listened to Ram in High School (mid 80s) hearing those things. Just wow.

Cannot wait for London Town/BTTE.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby cd1500rpm » Wed May 23, 2012 9:56 pm

chris wrote:this is...quite frankly...now my favorite paul solo album. the remaster is note for note perfect. the old cd i had was crap. and i hear things on the new one i never knew were there. from the very beginning, it is great. but when dear boy starts...layers upon layers of vocals...it gets kicked up a notch. this would make brian wilson blush with envy. this is very much a vocal album. more so now than ever. i have faith in the recording industry to get things right. now...if it would only take less than 10 years to get the rest of his catalog redone.

I have the original Ampex/Apple reel to reel tape of this album. I can't even describe how it sounds on this tape, especially Dear Boy. It's those layers of vocals you mentioned. That tape sounds and feels way better than any of the previous CD releases. Until now.
cd1500rpm

Postby james1985 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:23 am

Got the 2cd edition. listened last night and agree with you guys' comments. It sounds unbelievable. Not got much time to post right now, but I'll just say Dear Boy and Little Woman Love really stand out in terms of 'I never heard that'.

And I always heard Monkberry's chorus backing vocal as "bum-bah, bum-bah, bum-bah." But thanks to the remaster, it's "Ba-dum-bah, ba-dum-bah, ba-ba-de-bum"

Smile away :-D
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Thu May 24, 2012 10:01 am

Just picked up my deluxe version of this great album. Deluxe is the word for this wonderful package. The remasters are just so great I hoped for . the mono mix kicks some serious a-s. The extra songs are really good sounding and Thrillington well that s another story. The book contains tons of interesting stuff and great pictures. And there are other cool things to. The photographs printed on photo paper are I guess worth the price of the box alone and some more. So even if it is expensive there really is value for money here. I thought the deluxe versions of Mccartney 1 and 2 set new standards but this one beats them and most other boxed sets I d ever seen. rIght now I listen to the hire solution version of Ram that came as a download with the box and the sound is something else
So friends here who thinks this is to expensive - it is but it s worth it
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Return to MACCA - all discussions