Question about a photo in the new Ram booklet

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Question about a photo in the new Ram booklet

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Hoping someone who has bought the Ram remaster can settle an argument.....

I've got the 2 disc edition, and in the accompanying booklet (in the UK version, presumably the same in other countries), there is a photo to the right of the lyrics to Monkberry Moon Delight, which shows Macca in the studio, with his eyes closed, and someone else in the background.

A couple of guys I know both think that whoever is in the background is deliberately a Lennon look a like, and that the photo is meant to signify Paul turning his back on Lennon and closing his eyes so as to "be ignoring him".

I think it's just someone who happens to look a bit like Lennon, but not deliberately, and that no connotation to Lennon should be inferred.

Any experts out there know who it is in the background, and whether it was indeed intended as (yet another) coded message to Lennon?

Cheers for any opinions...
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Re: Question about a photo in the new Ram booklet

Postby gfgb123 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:57 pm

I haven't seen the booklet yet but from your description, it seems to be the same photo that was included in the American version of the RAM songbook which came out back around late fall of 1971. It has a handwritten caption stating, "Playback Long Haired Lady" The picture is grainy but it is blown up at about 8" x 11". There is someone in the background which now that you mention it resembles Lennon but a bit heavier. I think the photographer probably Linda was just trying to capture the moment of McCartney concentrating while listening to the playback. It is definitely not Denny Seiwell or Dave Spinoza.
gfgb123

Postby james1985 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:23 am

I'd be able to let you know, but Amazon don't seem to be able to deliver on release day...
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Tue May 22, 2012 5:22 pm

I think it's just a coincidence, myself. Paul can be a controlling but I don't think it was meant to be a slight to John. Although . . . .

And since I forgot how to create a thread, please let me use this one as my vehicle.

I just got RAM the Special Edition not the DELUXE Edition. I must say I didn't listen to the first disk as it is on the album but I did listen to the second disk. I especially enjoyed Great ***censored*** and Seagull Race. All instrumental and very good. Reminds me a little of Rockabilly. H, I think you will like this one. Didn't care for Rode All Night but I did like the music. Sunshine Sometime is an instrumental also and reminds me a little of Junk. All in all, the second Bonus Audio is very good. Great ***censored*** and Seagull Race and Sunshine Sometime are my faves on this one.

I will listen to the Remastered songs at a later date. Thanks for letting me use this to voice my opinion.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby pates78 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Sunshine Sometime is an instrumental version? so not this one then?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4CG6MBtme0

Aside from RAM i'm most excited for Red Rose Speedway, really hoping there's finally a proper early Wings live show on there since it was possibly going to be a double album at the time - studio/live.
pates78

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:42 am

I thought Rode All Night was great, and there are certain parts of it that were surely used as the basis for Mumbo when he came to do Wild Life (though that might not sound like a great recommendation! :-D )
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed May 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Why was I censored? That's the title of the song and the word that was censored is a male chicken. You never heard of a ***censored *** fight? I guess next time I will have to watch what I put down. Didn't know it was such a touchy area. It's just a title of a song. I can see if it had that four letter word starting with F that seems to be a big hit in Hip Hop music but it wasn't.

I stand censored.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed May 23, 2012 6:47 pm

i recall seeing that very photo when i had the vinyl copy. and it did look like john. just a coincidence, i'd wager.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Wed May 23, 2012 7:27 pm

Rode All Nite served as the basis for "Giddy" - a song Paul gave to Roger Daltrey for his 1977 solo album.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed May 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Gosh, G4B, this is kind of a family site. Can't you control your filthy talk for once? Sheesh! :oops:
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions