ROCKSHOW must be released on DVD!!!!!

A discussion forum for Paul's videos, short films, movies and DVDs.

Moderator: Mike

Re: ROCKSHOW must be released on DVD!!!!!

Postby ROCKSHOW24 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:13 pm

piami wrote:Yes & no.....
Wings Over America (which I saw for the first time on Cinemax in 1983 and later on VH1 around the time of Flaming Pie) seems to be the complete work. It includes all the Rockshow footage as well as all the Wings Over The World footage.
(see WOW http://www.maccafan.net/Video/WingsOver ... /world.htm)
But it also includes performances that neither of the aformentioned offer. Remember the "Dirt" tour? Remember Long & Winding Road in the opening film? THAT was on Wings Over America. Sooooooo, I guess it's safe to say that there were 3 (count 'em) 3 separate productions that came from that tour.
I just can't find WOA anywhere.....but I did tape it from VH1.

The story of Rockshow is long and confusing.... I will try to make it brief.

Rockshow originally came out in 1980 I believe. It was released in movie theaters, and to
colleges. It was playing in my local theater along with Rocky Horror on the weekends, but I was too young at the time to see them..... Anyway... This version was the only complete version of the Wings over America concert tour. It was released a few years later on video
and laserdisc. But the songs:

Call me back again
Lady Madonna
The long and winding road
Picasso's last words
Richard Cory
Blackbird
My love

Were all omitted. I don't know why this was done. Maybe it was limited space on the video or laserdisc. Or maybe Paul just didn't like that particular version of the song. The Wings over the world show was a tv documentary about the tour. I am not sure when that aired, but I do
have a copy of that, as well as a couple of versions of Rockshow. Wings over the world is mostly a backstage retrospective of the tour, with clips of the Rockshow concert. Most of the
songs are incomplete.

Now... This is where it gets confusing.. When Flaming Pie came out, VH1 promoted this by having McCartney week. It was a week full of Pauls concert's, video's, interviews etc, etc...
One of the concerts was Rockshow. This version of Rockshow had all of the omitted songs from above put back into the concert. This sounds great, but, they took out a bunch of other songs. I can't remember them all, but I think it was:

Spirits of ancient Egypt
Medicine jar
You Gave me the answer
Magneto and Titanium man
Go now

I am sure there were a couple of others as well, but I can't recall. Needless to say....Another
incomplete version. That is the story.... And I guess it wasn't short and sweet, but it is what it is. There is about a million bootlegs of this floating around, and most of them are complete garbage. SQ and PQ are just lousy. The McCartney years looked and sounded great. I just wish that Paul would listen to his fans and put out a complete version of this concert. Or better yet, A Blu-Ray version would be a dream come true.
ROCKSHOW24

Postby JimmyMcCullochFan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:33 pm

The Rockshow dvd I have has all of the omitted songs :)
"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ROCKSHOW24 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:43 pm

Is that the Japanese version? I have that too..... We just want an official release.
Until then, it will be whatever is available to hold us over I guess.

P.S. Jimmy was a sick guitarist..... I love the solo on The note you never wrote.
Hidden in the yard, underneath the wall,
buried deep below, a thousand layers, lay the answer to it all
ROCKSHOW24

Postby JimmyMcCullochFan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:22 pm

nope it's not the Japanese version I don't think. Mine has the film then the songs from the McCartney week as a bonus.

how can you tell if it's the Japanese version?

yeah Jimmy is bad ass.
"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ROCKSHOW24 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:07 am

The Japanese version has all of the songs in the same order as ion the Wings Over America cd. It is basically the samr as what you have, but the songs that were originally omitted, have been spliced back in.
Hidden in the yard, underneath the wall,
buried deep below, a thousand layers, lay the answer to it all
ROCKSHOW24

Postby Anderson » Thu May 10, 2012 1:34 pm

Nah, it's gonna come out when the remastered de luxe version of Wings Over America is released, won't it? As part of that package? The WogBlog claims so.
Anderson

Postby Girl4Beats » Thu May 10, 2012 5:17 pm

I don't know if these helps but Paul DOES own a publishing company and therefore all the songs therein. I do believe he owns all his own songs under MPL. He might have trouble with some Beatles songs but I do believe he owns all his own. But don't quote me on that.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby edrebber » Sun May 20, 2012 3:58 pm

To me this is McCartney's best live performance. It's unbelievable that it's been out of print for so long.
edrebber

Postby klausab » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:41 am

I can't understand the price policy: amazon offers the Rockshow bluray in Germany for about 32 Euos (41 $), in the UK for about 13 Pounds, which ist less then 16 Euros (21 $). The US Price seems to be 25 $ equalling ca. 19 Euros.
klausab

Previous

Return to MACCA-Videos