Montevideo set list

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Montevideo set list

Postby Awesoman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:11 pm

flextint wrote:Mr H, You are so correct!!!He needs to take 6 months to a year off just to Oh I don't know ..Maybe finish of a rock album or 2 and Promote the hell out of the albums and play more that one song off them.Just like the good old days.I wonder if anyone would object to playing 3 ,4 or 5 songs of the new album.He is really touring alot now and maybe this is adding to some of our frustrations in that we keep seeing the same songs on the setlist.If he took 6 months of to regroup ,rehearse a few never before preformed songs .I dont think anyone on this site would object.And really ,isn't that the most important thing!!lol :-D

I disagree. I'd argue that in recent years, he's actually been touring a lot less. He's only doing about a handful of shows and he's spreading them out through the course of a year; making each show more like a "one-off". I think this has benefited for him in that his voice is in better shape than it is when he's been performing on an almost nightly basis. And even though the majority of the setlist is the usual fare, have you not noticed him throwing in some surprises? He has been routinely adding material he has either never performed live before or at least with his current touring band, including the following songs: "The Word", "Come And Get It", "The Night Before", "Letting Go", "Venus & Mars", "Bluebird", "I'm Looking Through You" etc.
Awesoman

Postby mr h atom » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:41 pm

you're right, of course, but that misses the point about how static the majority of set list has been for a very, very long time

while quite true that the less active touring probably is the best idea to make sure the voice, for both concerts and recordings and the future remains viable for a longer period of time (not to mention how much easier this pace of touring probably is on his general physical well-being: he is getting kinda up there in years)...this doesn't get around the fact that, regardless of how the greater, average concertgoer might view how a mccartney show should be...the fan base for solo paul mccartney is not now nor ha been being well served at all

he could easily have done a concert set, back when RDR came out, combining it and Choba, and throwing in a few more of more related bits from both the solo years and with the beatles..and had one of his best set lists/concert events of his entire career..touring with that band, with those songs...c'mon !

nonfans would still be talking about the audacity...the balls it took not only to do that...but to completely pull it off !

and you know he would done just fine...

i believe that he could sing whatever he wants and the the overwhelming majority of people who are soaking up tickets now will still go and sell out his shows...

and, by changing, drastically, his approach to his own music, i.e. playing a wider, deeper variety of it...it will attract more listeners to his back catalogue...not lose ticket sales.

look he doesn't have to go 'no beatles', or anything...he could just concentrate, for a while, on all the great beatle songs he hasn't done in decades, if ever

he could easily do rocky raccoon, martha my dear, etc

he needn't do live and let die every stinkin' time...he could do mull of kintyre or wanderlust...he can mix it up a heck of alot more...and he could do a series of concerts wherein he did an album or two..or three end to end...the length would be no more than he already does

the reality is he is just not that daring enough...he don't got the cajones to try it...nor is he that confident enough in himself...mostly because much of his fanbase is, and always has been, so wishy-washy about creativity

but, i'm done kissing his bottom for now...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Awesoman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:57 pm

mr h atom wrote:
while quite true that the less active touring probably is the best idea to make sure the voice, for both concerts and recordings and the future remains viable for a longer period of time (not to mention how much easier this pace of touring probably is on his general physical well-being: he is getting kinda up there in years)...this doesn't get around the fact that, regardless of how the greater, average concertgoer might view how a mccartney show should be...the fan base for solo paul mccartney is not now nor ha been being well served at all

Yeah, he does play a lot of the same stuff. But he's also playing the music the majority of concert-goers want to hear. It's the same story with most artists that have been around as long as McCartney: the fans want to hear the hits. This hasn't stopped him from throwing in lesser known songs like "Letting Go" or "Too Many People".

mr h atom wrote:he could easily have done a concert set, back when RDR came out, combining it and Choba, and throwing in a few more of more related bits from both the solo years and with the beatles..and had one of his best set lists/concert events of his entire career..touring with that band, with those songs...c'mon !

He sort of did that with the Live At The Cavern performance. I would have welcomed more songs myself on there, but I have a feeling his voice wouldn't hold out for the whole show. There were a lot of great screamers in that setlist.
Awesoman

Postby joefig66 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:53 am

eggman1979 wrote:
mr h atom wrote:what ?!

was thee there, eggs !?!!

Ha ha ha no Mr. H, I'm at my home (and yours too) here in Mexico. I followed some tweets and reports from a fan who attends many concerts and has access to very good information about Paul. He says that Paul's right now getting ready to fly to Paraguay. He also says that Paul is going to record the concert at Mexico City for a CD/DVD release later this year.

Perhaps he'll revive Besame Mucho for the Mexico Concert. At least maybe for the soundchecks
. "Chacha Voom"!!!!!!!
joefig66

Postby eggman1979 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:00 pm

joefig66 wrote:
eggman1979 wrote:
mr h atom wrote:what ?!

was thee there, eggs !?!!

Ha ha ha no Mr. H, I'm at my home (and yours too) here in Mexico. I followed some tweets and reports from a fan who attends many concerts and has access to very good information about Paul. He says that Paul's right now getting ready to fly to Paraguay. He also says that Paul is going to record the concert at Mexico City for a CD/DVD release later this year.

Perhaps he'll revive Besame Mucho for the Mexico Concert. At least maybe for the soundchecks
. "Chacha Voom"!!!!!!!

It would be nice but...I'd rather hear Back seat of my car. It would be awesome, don't you think?
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:57 pm

'twoud :-D

i agree, awes, but that just really only means he's pandering...

and, in the meantime, selling out his artistic soul, which he claims, often, is an important part of him

think springsteen...yes, theres alot of repetativeness...but he shakes it up...even from one night to the next, far more than macca...even shaking up the playing order: mccartney would never have, as a regular part of his set, a bit where he pulls 3-6 songs as requests from the audience...and then plays them (even if he cheats and picks up 8 pieces of paper and chooses the 6 they've practiced, so what, big deal...it's a fan pleaser to the max), all while while adding in...

others do it

it really would not take much more than using the time off that they now have built into thier schedule to overused portions, tweak others and reshuffle...bring in something, from each era (back seat of my car..marha my dear...move over busker), each time to competely reinvigorate the thing and pay homage to his songwriting/song playing abilities...as well as make his band, and him, look that much better in the eyes of the more discerning fans and rock press...
mr h atom

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:10 pm

He likes to be safe? He has to recoup the money She Who Must Not Be Named took in the divorce settlement. That's why he is touring a lot. That's my spin on it. What the official reason is I have no idea.

But yes. Some new songs in the concert. Some new album(s). A nice rock album would be good. Hey H, a combination of songs along the flavor of Flaming Pie, RDR, and a few others?
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:37 pm

G4B, i'm going to be honest...i don't think paul is doing a thing (or giving a thought, for that matter) for heather. that's right, i said her name. it's okay. it isn't scary...no cooties...it's just a name. and that name is nothing more than a minor speed bump in the life of paul (and that's about all you will get from me commenting on his private life...none of my business...and sorry to say, not really that much of my care or interest)

he tours because he wants to. he records because he wants to. that's it. no recouping any money lost. i'd be so disappointed if i found out otherwise.

and we continue to get a new song or two from him...from time to time. we'll just have to be happy with that. he isn't about to revamp his entire set list at his age, as much as we pine for it.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:49 pm

I agree, Chris. Really I'm just glad he still does any of it. We are so lucky.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:26 pm

ditto, yes...blahblahblah...

why do you have to go and be all correct-like, chris...jeez, pop a kids balloon, whydontcha :wink:

actaully, dear friend - you could not be more spot on about why he does it, and, specifically, that heather has absolutely nothing to do with it...it's the crowd, the moment...i've heard so many artists say that exact same thing, so mnay times...the feedback, the rush..it's like a drug, eh

and we all know that he deeply, seriously loves to make all the people happy, thus the set list is what is is for exactly that reason: to make as many people happy as he possibly can...i know that...i get that...but, i can dream, can't i ?!
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours