Book of the Moment

Paperback Writer

Moderator: Mike

Re: Book of the Moment

Postby Girl4Beats » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks Chris,

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours also. Funny you should mention that. I was in a somewhat of a band in high school also. I played a mean radio. I could turn that dial to almost any obscure radio station in the area. I was good!!
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:26 am

i've become addicted to the works of the late richard laymon...truly great, pulpy horror writing.

during the last year or so, every other book i've read is by him.

cannot recommend him more highly if you like that sort of thing
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Girl4Beats » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:13 am

I will stick to my Midnight Louie mysteries, my Mrs. Jefferies mysteries, my Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple mysteries. With a smatterin of Dick Francis mysteries thrown in for good measure. Nothing deep or heavy for me.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:29 pm

And Then There Were None is my favorite Agatha Christie book, G4B, but she wrote a lot of good mysteries. Seems like I'm always going back to anything by Ray Bradbury, especially The Illustrated Man .
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:30 pm

reading...'conspiracy on the planet of the apes'. a relatively new (last year) original novel (with nifty art work by many !) that takes place alongside the event of the first movie and tells the sad tale of landon...and it is very well done

coming soon...THE DARK TOWER - THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE =P~ by that king guy

little over one month ~X(
mr h atom

Postby chris » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:11 pm

finished sai king's 11/22/63. it isn't that i'm a slow reader, i've been busy and i've been saving it. it is everything i expected. he rarely brings up anything for no reason. therefore everything he brings up, has closure in one way or another. very good book. can't wait for the DT book coming out shortly.

in spite of my appeciation for stephen king's dark tower series...i am not ordinarily a fan of science fiction. however, i started reading george r.r. martin's song of ice and fire series, beginning with game of thrones (so very well done on hbo) and i have to say...i like this even better than the lord of the ring books (which i read twice). the good guys are real...with flaws. the bad guys are delectably hateable. just watch out who you find yourself rooting for...martin can (and will) kill anyone off. and occasionally the slimiest dirtbags can fill you with such hope.

it may not be everyone's cup o' tea, but if you can tolerate science fiction, it comes off as a real landscape, with real people and real worries, and very real dangers. a power struggle between 4 familes (think soprano's with swords, in a medieval land). with so many cookie-cutter novels out today...it is most refreshing to read something with such depth.

absorbing reading, kids.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Chris,

I love Game of Thrones. Only problem, it comes on the same time as other programs I like so I am usally switching between stations all the time. I also have been watching Spartacus. Good stuff!!
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:47 pm

i know all about that show...its a reality one, right?

that's the one where the groups of people race across the desert to see who gets to the only bathroom facility first
mr h atom

Postby chris » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:50 pm

righty-o there, h. they start off by having only 90 seconds to devour a jalepeno beef and bean burrito platter. then they have to wash it down with a quart of gin. once they get across the desert, to our amusement, they find themselves needing quarters to unlock the bathroom stall.

brought to you, naturally, by latrine shovels-r-us.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:43 am

latrine ?!?

i thought they went outta bidnez after that failed ad campaign...y'know...the one that went "trust us, we're full of sh.."

:shock:

oh...wait..that's my tag line :oops:

...one week til the tower... ~X(
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to Books, magazines, etc.