Did Paul know Jimi Hendrix sent him a telegram in 1969 ??

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Did Paul know Jimi Hendrix sent him a telegram in 1969 ??

Postby Yazidmanou » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:53 am

Hi, my name is Yazid Manou, I'm a french Jimi Hendrix fanatic. Here is an amazing story I'd like to share with you :

Maybe some of you heard the following as I sent it to many people already since mid-february :

In 2005, I found the following in Hard Rock Cafe website (Key West, Florida) :

Telegram dated 10/21/69 sent by Jimi Hendrix to Paul McCartney. The message reads, "We are recording an LP together this weekend in NY. How about coming in to play bass… peace, Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis, Tony Williams." Today, still looking for a shot of this amazing document, few weeks ago I found the telegram is on display in Hard Rock Cafe Prague (Czech Republic) accompanied by a response from Peter Brown saying Paul is away on holiday for two weeks :sad:

I received the photo (with Brown's answer).

I really think Sir Paul McCartney never heard about this information, even forty three years later !

On March 26th, I talked to Peter Brown (Brian Epstein assistant then executive director of Apple Corps). Peter is the one who answered to the telegram on October 22nd, 1969. He laughed when I said I was quite happy to "find him not dead" !! He said "I'm alive and well !". He did not remember at all this telegram, which is quite natural after 43 years !

But at least, now he knows I put "some" light on this document :-D

Prestigious newspaper Le Monde did a nice article about it and also a London-based journalist :
http://legrandnetwork.blogspot.fr/2012/ ... x-how.html

Regards
Stay tuned
YM
Yazidmanou

Re: Did Paul know Jimi Hendrix sent him a telegram in 1969 ?

Postby mr h atom » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:34 pm

i read, the other day, in an online bit about how certain bands got their names that the ramones got their name from none other than our dear paulie: it's based on his oft used nom-de-plume used back-in-the-day !

i'm sure this is old news to most, but it was one somehow i'd never heard...or just totally forgotten...that happens when you're 2000 years old !
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 am

Is this old news or new old news. Or is it old new old news. Anyway-a jamsession between Hendrix. Miles Davis and McCartney would have been something special.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Yazidmanou » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:55 am

mhnso wrote:Is this old news or new old news. Or is it old new old news

This is what I'd call "Breaking News" :-D

Kathryn O from Maccaboard wrote :

"I have never seen mention of this telegram anywhere in any Beatle book or article I've read (and I've read dozens like many here. I am very into the printed word about the Beatles and have been for nearly 30 years now since The Love You Make first came out in 1984."

YM
Yazidmanou

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:44 pm

It was also never mentioned in the Hunter Davies authorized biography or in the 30 some odd books I have on the Beatles.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Yazidmanou » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:56 am

Girl4Beats wrote:It was also never mentioned in the Hunter Davies authorized biography or in the 30 some odd books I have on the Beatles.

Now we know Paul never talked about it 'cos he never knew :sad:

YM
Yazidmanou

Postby mr h atom » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:15 pm

do we KNOW, yaz...do we ??

i find it hard to belive that anyone working around paul...knowing his proclivities for all things new and exciting on the R&R scene...would NOT get in touch with him and let him know this was out there

i'll hold all judgement until there is more, detailed info, thanks...
mr h atom

Postby Yazidmanou » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:44 am

mr h atom wrote:do we KNOW, yaz...do we ??

i find it hard to belive that anyone working around paul...knowing his proclivities for all things new and exciting on the R&R scene...would NOT get in touch with him and let him know this was out there

I know it's hard to believe but do you really think Paul would have know and told no one about it since all these years :?: You think he could have forget ??!! He's the only one to tell us anyway but I do think he was not informed...I'm still trying to find out !

YM
Yazidmanou

Postby mr h atom » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:30 pm

well, yaz...paul did, by his own admission, become rather seriously involved in some off-beat recreational...activities that have been known to lead to some short term memory loss... 8)

but, more importantly...maybe, just maybe.... its all a fraud....been known to happen with stuff like this

like i said...one would think anyone working around paul, at that time, would've got hold of him (ring-ring: "yo, paul...jimi and miles want to cut a track or two...up for that ?"...'aw, sorry...busy shearing sheep at the moment !") if artists of that caliber wanted to work with him...so it'll be interesting to find out more details from additional secure and knowledgeable sources...just sayin'...
mr h atom

Postby Girl4Beats » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:43 pm

Yaz,

I agree with Mr. H., Paul MAY have forgotten. He can forget things at his age. SHOOT! I forget things at my age and I'm not anywhere near is age. Plus, there are all those recreational "things" he took, that Mr. H mentioned, and that may have had an effect on his memory. Did it happen or did it not happen? I guess we will never know for sure unless someone comes up with something more definitive.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions