Movie of the Moment

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Movie of the Moment

Postby mr h atom » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:30 pm

THE MUPPET MOVIE !!!!

finally got around to it...great return for my fuzzy little friends, eh ?

all involved showed a far better respect for the original, in every manner way and form, than most remakes too often do(which, imho, is why they more often than not fail)...could not have asked for more !

five and a half stars out of four !!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mr h atom » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:34 pm

rewatched...'the godfather' trilogy

was amazed at how much i liked #3 this time...

not as great a film as the first two, certainly not a classic film, but...

paired up with the first two...it was a was, for me, a very good fit, a nice way to wrap up the series...and a very enjoyable way to spend the afternoon
mr h atom

Postby chris » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:18 am

Nicely done, honorable h. The godfather has long been one of my faves. I've seen it a hundred times...(trivia...what is the actual name of the family...it is NOT Corleone)

And the third one gets a bad rap. It isn't as good as the first two. It's almost unfair, really to compare them. But the third is a masterpiece in it's own rite...as long as Michaels daughter isn't on the screen.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby tristanjblythe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:58 am

THE MUPPET MOVIE !!!!

finally got around to it...great return for my fuzzy little friends, eh ?

all involved showed a far better respect for the original, in every manner way and form, than most remakes too often do(which, imho, is why they more often than not fail)...could not have asked for more !

five and a half stars out of four !!

Was just about to post basically the same thing!! Fantastic film and hooray The Muppets are back. Even better they now are offically the Oscar-winning Muppets! :salute
tristanjblythe

Postby bravefan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:51 pm

You want a movie from the past? Try Harold and Maude. It's a late 60's movie starring Ruth Gordon and Bud Cort. Anybody on here seen it?
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:19 pm

haven't seen it decades...(ages me, huh ?) but it is a fantasic film !

there are so many great films and so little time... ~X(

andolini, of course ! funny, when the young vito approached his fathers killer...i kept thinking of mandy patinken in the princess bride..." my name is inigo montoya, you killed mr faher, prepare to die !"
:-D
y'know chris...i used to think virtually exactly that (about the younger coppala in 3)...but, believe it or not, i didn't really mind her performance...i've seen worse

now, what did make me furrow the brow was that any chick would suddenly have the non-ending hots for her cousin...i don't care how good looking he might be...IT'S YOUR FRIKKIN COUSIN, ALREADY !!!

btw...did you recognize his immence, father guido sarducci, in a small but reoccuring role in G3 ?

bud cort was a hoot in just about everything he made before his untimely death... much like john cazale, from many of coppalas movies
mr h atom

Postby chris » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:04 am

i did NOT notice padre g, i'll have to give G3 another look.

my wife got me the trilogy in blue ray a year or so ago. and the first time i watched it, all i could focus on was how great it looked. it had begun to look washed...pale...faded...even when it was on tv. but the remastered version...all i could think of was...look at that linen suit, as if i could reach out and touch the texture of it. an amazing job.

you should know, your taste in movies just might be as top notch as your taste in music. and why am i in a mood for a cannoli all of a sudden? remember, when it all comes crashing down...leave the gun, grab the cannoli.

that's it! i'm changing my moniker to moe green. just don't let me get a massage. i hear it isn't good for my vision. :shock:
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:13 pm

apollo 18 - completely average b-movie...had its slight moments...

fright night (the remake) - better than i expected it to be: it had its moments of slavishness to the original that irked, and some that were cool...and moments that veered far away that irked, too.
david tennant & colin ferrell are the best things about it, all the other actors were just kinda there...

can i state, emphatically, that i'm damned tired of cgi being used where it has absolutley no need to be, especially in horror movies: the vampires were okay, up until they had to wig-out and go all demony...with rows and rows of needle teeth and gaping huge maws: who the frick cares!

bite the sucker and get it over with, already...two fangs are plenty

i state for all mankind...the second worst invention, as far as horror movies go, is cgi...

the conspirator - great movie about the trial of a woman under suspicion for involvement in the assasination of pres. lincoln at the end of the civil war. loved the detailed intracies and politics of all that went on at that time...if you like a great hisorical drama, i cannot recommend more highly.
mr h atom

Postby chris » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:00 pm

i'm afraid cgi is the wave of the future. especially for horror and action movies. and it's a shame. because the current crop of kids that make up the bulk of paying movie-goers, and the generations that follow them, will be used to such nonsense. it'll be all they know. all the sublties of patient, suspenseful filmaking are going/have gone. like the long...single camera...single take. who does that anymore? and who who would notice if someone did?

the ides of march was great. a political thriller (irrelevent, really, which side...because it wasn't really about that) that makes you wonder who in their right mind would ever want to get into politics in the first place. seems like an awful, awful thing to want to do for a living. and an awful way to live your life.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:49 pm

Chris, you might be surprised to hear that those old -style movies are not quite gone. You should check out a little film that my daughter dragged me to recently called The Woman in Black, starring Daniel Radclif. I say she dragged me to it cause I thought it would be just another hum- drum movie like you described, but I was pleasantly surprised. First thing I noticed was it's a Hammer film- I didn't know Hammer was still around. It's creepy, suspenseful, atomospheric and it takes it's time in telling the tale. It looks great as a period movie too. I'm not saying it has no CGI in it, after all sometimes it's hard to tell as long as it's used right and that's what I would say we have here. Not an oscar winner, but not too bad either.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to Movies & TV