Pauls best album covers

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Pauls best album covers

Postby RobW » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:58 pm

I always liked "Red Rose Speedway" for some reason. Also "McCartney" and "Ram" are among my favorites. These are albums that need to be experienced on vinyl to feel the full impact of their cover art.
RobW

Postby SgtMacca » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:09 pm

Press To Play, great cover but I think it would fit better in albums like Kisses on The Bottom.

CHOBA B CCCP has a great cover too.
Good Rocking Tonight!
SgtMacca

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Has anyone noticed the McCartney II cover looks like a mug shot? Coming right after his bust in Japan, it makes sense. I may have even heard this was intentional somewhere along the way...or maybe I made it up.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:04 am

The Mccartney 2 cover is not a mugshot it s taken by a photographer in England. The deluxe edition of that album displays plenty of photos from the same session - for some reason they picked the shot that may not be the most favorable to Macca. That s what great about that cover. Agree that covers like RRS should be experienced in the original format. Also agree that the cover to Press to play is a great shot but that album just does t connect to me so perhaps that is why I don t particlary like that cover. The empty chair on Memory almost full -is i think-a painting from some well known artist. That album is rather wild when it comes to ideas and a little bit l so -at least for me-the cover connects with the album. Of course all these things is a matter of personal, subjective feelings towards a particular album. And I agree with mr h atom - the best cover will be his next guitar driven rocknroll kickass album . It will also be his best album of all time. Of that I am definitively sure
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Brainwashed » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:33 pm

For me:

McCartney II
Driving Rain
Good Evening New York City
Paul Is Live
Venus and Mars
Brainwashed
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Yeah, the Russian cover is good but I don't LIKE the cover to Memory Almost Full. What the blazes does a chair have to do with the music inside? Just like Press, some are saying the cover does not reflect the songs inside. I don't think Memory's cover shot does either.

Macca II, a mug shot? Never thought of it that way but now that you 'splained to me I can see why you would think so. I also kinda like KOTB too. The cover shot not necessarily the songs inside.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:28 pm

Mhnso, I didn't mean that I think the cover shot on McCartney II is a mug shot, just that it resembles a mug shot and that Macca's selection of that shot for the cover may have been to intentionally ape the effect. :(|)
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby cd1500rpm » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Girl4Beats wrote:Album Covers? I have to say the best one is Press to Play. The photo is just GORGEOUS!! BOTR is another good album cover. I also like Red Rose Speedway album cover.

Anyone ever notice how the Press To Play album cover has a different feel to it. I mean when you touch it it doesn't have that glossy feel like other album covers do. This is the only LP cover that I've come across that is like this. Or do I have defective one?
cd1500rpm

Postby Jeremy K2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:21 pm

1. Back to the egg - just so out there! Very original. :-BD
2. Tripping the live fantastic. don't know why just like the movement
3. Flowers in the dirt. An arty choice.
4. Off the Ground (although did not quite pull this one off)
5. All the best - I've always loved the iconography
for each song being represented on the cover

Worst album cover would have to be Wild life - a very amatuerish photo.
Jeremy K2

Postby Jeremy K2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Has anyone seen the original choice for the cover of Triiping the Live Fantastic
featuring Paul in Sgt. Pepper like regalia standing in front of a door with an explosion of vibrant colour around him. It's very eighties but incredibly awesome. I think it was included in the tour book!
Jeremy K2

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions